Iphone 3G Simlocked On Ios4.1

clint49

I own a iphone 3G which was firstly purchased in the UK (where it has been unlocked, but I am not sure if done by factory or not).

I stupidly upgrade the softwaree iois 3.*.* to ios 4.1 and my phone is now SIM locked. I went to MBk and was told that I could not be unlocked within a couple of weeks.

Does aybody know if iphone 3G with ios 4.1 can be jailbroken and unlocked safely at present time (on windows). If possible, I would like to downgrade os to 3.*.*. Could it be done in the same process ?

Any help would be appreciated.

I understand it can be put back to factory standards,then you'll have to go thru the routine of jailbreaking it again.Go to google iphone forums,i'm sure you'll come accross it.The media is making A big deal out of this phone.I'm not impressed

with it.

^Even if the firmware is reverted the baseband won't be. There's currently no unlock for the 05.14.02 baseband. The only hope is if the phone has the 05.08 bootloader (unlikely but worth checking - the OP should google on how to find out which bootloader version is on the phone).

4.1 jailbreak was released by Geohot...

Not much good to the OP though since: 1. It doesn't work on the 3G; 2. There's still no unlock for the 05.14.02 baseband.

Funny how he (Holtz) crapped all over that greenpois0n thing though.

4.1 jailbreak was released by Geohot...

Not much good to the OP though since: 1. It doesn't work on the 3G; 2. There's still no unlock for the 05.14.02 baseband.

Oh, I missed that. Doesn't work on the 3G, you're right. And it doesn't unlock the new baseband so if you need the unlock, it doesn't help.

I thought greenp0ison was a virus and/or didn't work?!

I thought greenp0ison was a virus and/or didn't work?!

They didn't release it because Geohot got his out first, the rationale being I believe that there's little point in spunking two different exploits before Apple release 4.2. greenp0ison will still be released at some point apparently, but will be based on the limera1n exploit rather than the Shatter exploit (as was planned), which is somewhat different (and apparently only jailbreaks recent devices i.e not the 3GS, thus giving rise to Geohot's ability to comprehensively piss on the greenpois0n fireworks). I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's used it on the iPhone 4. It's still beta obviously, and is probably fairly buggy. I'm thinking I'll wait a few days before trying it out.

Limera1n works fine, just used it to JB my iPhone 4 on 4.1

It's a thing of beauty- GeoHot style. It's literally one click, it doesn't come with instructions and more importantly it doesn't need instructions. It just works, and installs a Limera1n app on your phone which you can then use to install Cydia.

Limera1n works fine, just used it to JB my iPhone 4 on 4.1

It's a thing of beauty- GeoHot style. It's literally one click, it doesn't come with instructions and more importantly it doesn't need instructions. It just works, and installs a Limera1n app on your phone which you can then use to install Cydia.

nikster, cydia wasn't installed by default?

Clint, go to Settings, General, About and scroll to the bottom and look for Modem Firmware. What is that number? I have a 3G on Firmware 05.13.04 and am jailbroken on 4.1 using AIS. It depends on your firmware version. If you can, I can point you to where I got my custom firmware and used it to jailbreak my 3G from 4.01 to 4.1 last month.

Other option, go back to MBK and pay 500 baht for a turbo sim adapter, it goes with your sim card into the phone and allows you to use the phone as a, well, phone. I had to do this last year until a software unlock was released. It was a pain in the a$$, whenever I left Bangkok, I had to reboot the phone when I returned or the phone wouldn't "see" the AIS network and I couldn't make or receive calls.

Edited by floridaguy

It depends on your firmware version. If you can, I can point you to where I got my custom firmware and used it to jailbreak my 3G from 4.01 to 4.1 last month.

*Sighs* It's too late for custom firmware. By updating to official 4.1 the baseband has been updated to 05.14.02 and this is irreversible (unless he has the 05.08 bootloader, which is unlikely) - see above where this has already been discussed.

nikster, cydia wasn't installed by default?

Cydia isn't installed by default. You have to select it from limera1n. There seems to be an issue with the Cydia download timing out. If you experience this, don't quit limera1n, just keep okay'ing the error and hitting install. It will resume and get there eventually.

The only other issue I've experienced so far is Mobile Terminal (the version in Cydia) doesn't appear to work with iOS. Downloaded the beta manually and SSH'd into the phone with the .deb file. Sorted.

• 1 month later...

OP you can now unlock your phone by flashing the 06.15.00 (iPad) baseband. Not sure this is a great idea as I mentioned in the other thread. Personally, I'd be more inclined to wait until an exploit is found for the current iPhone basebands, but then I'm not stuck with a useless phone.

Sorry wasn't watching this thread - no issues.

Thanks nikster. I haven't noticed any issues either beyond the fact that Facetime doesn't appear to work. Not sure if this is as a result of the jailbreak or not and I can't say I'm that bothered anyway. Is it working for you?

I'm moving to Pattaya Thursday, my wife and my iphones are 3gs, 05.13.04 and 05.14.02. From what I am gathering the 05.13.04 is unlockable the other is not except for the ipad exploit. I'm thinking we can just get a cheap phone for awhile until someone comes up with a hack for the higher baseband.

Is anyone using a wifi calling method that works?