Don'T Call Yourself Khun

saraburioz

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the OP should get out and about a bit more - especially in Thai circles, learn a little Thai and maybe wouldn't have enough time to post on TVrolleyes.gif

I speak very good Thai - I work in my wife's zoo, where all the staff are Thai apart from the elephant boys, who are Burmese.

Yes, usually the same people that love to shoehorn the word farang into every conversation - be it with a Thai at 7-11 or a poor fellow foreigner that they've decided to share their Thainess with at the bar.

The poor Farang at the bar that travelled thousands of Kms to exploit poor people ?

Yeah, lets be nice to him. mad.gif

Edited by sillyman99

I think the OP should get out and about a bit more - especially in Thai circles, learn a little Thai and maybe wouldn't have enough time to post on TVrolleyes.gif

I speak very good Thai - I work in my wife's zoo, where all the staff are Thai apart from the elephant boys, who are Burmese.

Bit off topic, sorry but I have to say it puts a different spin on the whole " I met this girl, her dad owns a pub" thing.

I met this girl, she owns a zoo! Brilliant! :lol:

Back on topic, does that make you Khun Suansat or just plain old Pi Suansat? I suppose, depending on your job at the zoo, you could also be Nong Ling? :D:P

Bit off topic, sorry but I have to say it puts a different spin on the whole " I met this girl, her dad owns a pub" thing.

Back on topic, does that make you Khun Suansat or just plain old Pi Suansat? I suppose, depending on your job at the zoo, you could also be Nong Ling? :D:P

Oh mate, you don't know the half of it.

SarabiriOz was given 5000 Rai of land as a wedding gift and his wife is the grandaughter of the King of Laos. Although, how the King of Laos had 5000 Rai of land in Thailand to give away to a Farang remains a mystery.

Oh mate, you don't know the half of it.

SarabiriOz was given 5000 Rai of land as a wedding gift and his wife is the grandaughter of the King of Laos. Although, how the King of Laos had 5000 Rai of land in Thailand to give away to a Farang remains a mystery.

Ah, so he can be seen, complete with pith helmet and fly swat, proudly ruling over his land (which was given to him but isn't really his because he's not allowed to own it) announcing to all and sundry " my wife is the grand daughter of Samdach Brhat Chao Mavattaha Sri Vitha Lan Xang Hom Khao Phra Rajanachakra Lao Parama Sidha Khattiya Suriya Varman Brhat Maha Sri Savangsa Vadhana and I am Khun Suansat, bow before me!" :lol: he sounds great, I want to hang out with him. :)

But if I happen to meet someone ( most likely, a farang who picks up a bit of Thai language and Thai culture etc.) who referring himself as khun........... I would extend my hand to congrate him for giving me a big laugh of the day.:lol:

You're easily amused :D

May be.

If you put this into your consideration that I'm more like it to laugh out loud if I came upon seeing:

Someone calls him/herself khun.......:lol:

Someone initiative a wai to a wait person, 7/11 girls, a maid, tuk-tuk

or a taxi driver etc. It's a different story if you 'wai tob' ( returning a

wai ):lol: :lol:

So far have not met anyone doing it. I must be hang out with the wrong crowd.:P

But if I happen to meet someone ( most likely, a farang who picks up a bit of Thai language and Thai culture etc.) who referring himself as khun........... I would extend my hand to congrate him for giving me a big laugh of the day.:lol:

May be.

If you put this into your consideration that I'm more like it to laugh out loud if I came upon seeing:

Are you Thai Tinkelbell?

It gets worse when they use 'Mr' plus their first name. "Hello, Mr Bob speaking." Or ask Thais to "Go and talk to Mr John."

At least Khun + first name is vaguely Thai whereas the above is far more tosser-ish. Which isnt surprisign as these are the type of expats who speak to other expats in Tonto English. "I go pub, watch football. You come eat farang food"

Right on. Well said.

The OP definitely has a too much tme issue but the Tonto English guys have a greater problem. I note that as the time I post this the OP has disappeared back to the fundamental orifice he/ she / they first appeared from without responding to any of the comments even to clarify. SO i ask "why bother in the first place?" unless to set this in motion.

In many countries I would us the Khun or Mr (even Ms) honorifica as a sign of respect or sometimes intentionally applied as disrespect.

As to answering the phone. 99% of Thais I know use hello even though they cannot speak English. They might not be (and I really hope they are not) your acquaintances but it seems to have caught on. A new Thinglish word?

The OP definitely has a too much tme issue but the Tonto English guys have a greater problem. I note that as the time I post this the OP has disappeared back to the fundamental orifice he/ she / they first appeared from without responding to any of the comments even to clarify. SO i ask "why bother in the first place?" unless to set this in motion.

Excuse me? I'm offering advice - take it or leave it but don't post nonsense with insults - it isn't very friendly.

SarabiriOz was given 5000 Rai of land as a wedding gift

No I wasn't - please don't make up lies about my personal life :angry:

I do have thousands of rai of land but all in my wife's name and not a wedding gift.

His point - I think - is that you are not supposed to refer to yourself as "khun" or "ajarn". Other people doing it is OK.

Good post. Guy that works for Aer Lingus, nicknamed Lingus, probably should avoid the Khun altogether, unless of course he's earned it.

In addition to being affected, this usage indicates that the speaker has a very poor command of Thai and will sound ridiculous to Thais. In the Thai the speaker doesn't normally refer to himself as Khun but other people refer to you as Khun. Thus a Thai might say "Bob speaking", even though everyone calls him "Khun Bob". However, they will invariably answer the phone with "Hellor" and you will have to prise their name out of them.

Surely in this case it's no different from English?

Miss is a declaration of status, as is Mrs.

Dr, Prof, etc. are earned titles.

Sir, Baron, Lord, etc. are titles of nobility, however granted or bought.

Mr, however, is a courtesy title and so should only ever be applied to someone else, NEVER to ones self.

Don't get me started on Mz. :whistling:

Do you really think Thais think if they hear a foreigner refer to themselves as "khun" that he is a "tosser"?

They would probably translate it as a kite flyer instead. :jerk:

175 posts arguing about ONE Thai word. Only in TV. This forum is a profound example of AMAZINGGGGGG THAILAND.

As I have always believed, TV is 90% entertainment purposes only, 10% educational.

Worry not average educated, high opinionated, funny old wrinkled raisins, I return, I read, I chuckle, I carry on with life in my part of thailand.

-Nong Pee Khun Featography

My GF calls me Khun Mark and I call her Khun Jim

You call her Jim? I hope you get the tone correct on that word :)

(Check into the Thai language forum if you need some clarification...)

Simon

LOL - I was thinking exactly the same thing!

That could be a bit embarrassing for your GF out in public with Thai friends if you're not careful...

Do you really think Thais think if they hear a foreigner refer to themselves as "khun" that he is a "tosser"?

They would probably translate it as a kite flyer instead. :jerk:

175 posts arguing about ONE Thai word. Only in TV. This forum is a profound example of AMAZINGGGGGG THAILAND.

As I have always believed, TV is 90% entertainment purposes only, 10% educational.

Worry not average educated, high opinionated, funny old wrinkled raisins, I return, I read, I chuckle, I carry on with life in my part of thailand.

-Nong Pee Khun Featography

10%???? - you're a bit of an optimist aren't you?

Forgive my ignorace all you Ajarn Khuns, but what is an Ajarn and what is a Khun ?

"Ajarn" tends to mean "master" or instructor. E.g.. it is used to refer to artists, Muay Thai instructors, University Lecturers and even secondary school teachers.Kru - tends to be a more "run of the mill" teacher.

as for "Khun" - well the vast majority of posters here are a bunch of "Khuns"

If I was to sound like a tosser, but I was not one, would that be bad?

And vice versa?

I really don't know - should I be calling myself Khun?

It's great to have a source of good advice - I'd hate to look like a tosser when I should be looking like something completely different\

SC

May be.

Are you Thai Tinkelbell?

You got half of it right.

Chai-ka, dee-chan-bpen-khon-Thai ( Yes, I'm a Thai.):wai:

But what's this 'Thai Tinkelbell' ? ? ?:unsure: ( Mai-khaw-jai).

Could you care to clarify ? ( ga--ru-na-ar-ti-by-nai-ce-ka.)

Thanks . ( kob-khun-ka):wai:

Forgive my ignorace all you Ajarn Khuns, but what is an Ajarn and what is a Khun ?

"Ajarn" tends to mean "master" or instructor. E.g.. it is used to refer to artists, Muay Thai instructors, University Lecturers and even secondary school teachers.Kru - tends to be a more "run of the mill" teacher.

as for "Khun" - well the vast majority of posters here are a bunch of "Khuns"

Thankyou Deeral, I get it now, Im going to try it next time on the BTS when my phone rings, "Khun Ajarn____carp, yeah buddy Lolitas, 5 minutes", might save me quid.

He was just asking if you were Thai and then your name. It can also be the other way round "Tinklebell, are you Thai?" :)

He was just asking if you were Thai and then your name. It can also be the other way round "Tinklebell, are you Thai?" :)

Oh, I see, that missing 'comma' had me confused. Sorry khun Saraburioz.

I thought the term 'Thai Tinkelbell' has some other meaning, silly me.

Thanks khun 'biff' for clearing thing up.:wai:

mai bpen rai khrap

The way it was written first 'are you Thai Tinklebell?' doesn't really need a comma. It can be confusing sometimes but we don't use the word 'khon' as in 'Thai people' to differentiate between things that are Thai and Thai people themselves. Just another confusion in pa sa Angrit :)

mai bpen rai khrap

The way it was written first 'are you Thai Tinklebell?' doesn't really need a comma. It can be confusing sometimes but we don't use the word 'khon' as in 'Thai people' to differentiate between things that are Thai and Thai people themselves. Just another confusion in pa sa Angrit :)

If it were me I would write in pa sa Angrit this way........" Are you Thai ? Tinkelbell " Kao-jai-ngai-kwua

Kob-kun ' khun biff' eek-krung ka:wai: