Don'T Call Yourself Khun

saraburioz

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 17 years I have never heard a Thai refer to themselves as Khun ****, It is a form of address made to a second party where the person is not familiar to the speaker. In cases where the second person is familiar such as a friend etc....the words for brother, sister, aunty or uncle are generally used.

So if by not using the term Khun when referring to ones self is bastardizing the Thai language, there must be a lot of Thai Bastards around.....mmmmmm not going any further with that one!! :blink:

I've just had a phone call from a Thai guy, he introduced himself as 'Khun ....... calling from ........'

17 years you say?!

I have been here a couple of years short of that and can speak Thai well and Thais don't introduce themselves as khun unless theyvare jerks or tossers.

Ok !! ajarn saraburioz you have just taught us.:jap:

Almost all the conversations I have with Thai people are in their language - The OP might not like foreigners using the word Khun, but I don't see that as any good reason for me, or anyone else for that matter, to bastardize the language in order to attend to his sensibilities.

I agree with Khun GuestHouse,

Just because most Farang Khuns in Thailand are unable or unwilling to embrace the language of Thai Khuns, thats certainly not the same for all Khuns . Some Khuns make an effort.

Khun Sillyman. smile.gif

Many foriegners I have known who start learning Thai start start saying their first name I stead of ' I ' until they stay here a few Years and realise that onlyvgay men refer to themselves as their first name.

Khun guesthouse I don't know your sexual preference but thougth I d better advise you. Maybe that's why you get calls from Thai men calling themselves khun ?????

It’s amazing to me how many people missed the point of the OP’s post (maybe because the point was made rudely?). He was not complaining about Bob using his own name (referring to himself in the third person), but about Bob’s use of the word “Khun” when he introduces himself. If you look at the post title, it is clear what the OP is referring to. In point of fact, it is incorrect to introduce yourself as “Khun”, as it is a form of address used when referring or speaking to someone else.

To others, there is so much wrong information about the Thai language in this thread, that aside from the point that you should not refer to yourself as Khun, you should forget anything else you read here.

Remember. It is very polite when speaking to a person in authority like a police officer or immigration official to refer to them as " Mung"

+Greeny. Thank you Khruu mca for teaching me this. I will try this.:lol:

So you are going talk to the police about Chinese noodles. ? :unsure:

It’s amazing to me how many people missed the point of the OP’s post (maybe because the point was made rudely?). He was not complaining about Bob using his own name (referring to himself in the third person), but about Bob’s use of the word “Khun” when he introduces himself. If you look at the post title, it is clear what the OP is referring to. In point of fact, it is incorrect to introduce yourself as “Khun”, as it is a form of address used when referring or speaking to someone else.

To others, there is so much wrong information about the Thai language in this thread, that aside from the point that you should not refer to yourself as Khun, you should forget anything else you read here.

initialy yes the word khun is what I was talking about but had to point out that men should not use the the third person to refer to themselves too as it is an effeminate thing to do. I've had many a laugh watching girls' reactions to these new Thai speakers trying to sound like their girlfriends Edited by saraburioz

I called a mate the other day and he answered hello khun bob speaking - what a jerk.

And as for ajarn well I think that goes without saying.

and then there are the jerks who introduce themselves "my name is Mister Xyz". are they afraid of being mistaken for Mrs. Xyz?

signed:

Herr Naam :lol:

The Japanese end their names with san, so what is wrong with Khun?

Japanese friends call me Lindsay san, Thais call me Khun Lindsay.

Takes a tosser to know a tosser.

Some people just don't want to try very hard to be polite.

It is fine if they call you Khun....the issue here is people calling themselves Khun.

Keep up please ;)

Sorry I don't see the difference. Yes I call myself Khun Lindsay if I am asked by a Thai, especially when it comes to business greetings.

Depends on years in Thailand etc. My boyfriend always asks me when he calls "who is speaking"? To which I will reply Khun narak poot kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:)

so to be polite you use Nong ( for someone older then you ) or Pi ( for some younger then you ) ....

It is the other way round

It is fine if they call you Khun....the issue here is people calling themselves Khun.

Keep up please ;)

Sorry I don't see the difference. Yes I call myself Khun Lindsay if I am asked by a Thai, especially when it comes to business greetings.

Depends on years in Thailand etc. My boyfriend always asks me when he calls "who is speaking"? To which I will reply Khun narak poot kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:)

There is an obvious difference - especially to Thais. They will consider you to be a dick-head.

They decide if you are "Khun" not you. That is what 'they' are saying not me. I just referred to myself as "Khun Cardholder" and they p!ssed themselves laughing.

so to be polite you use Nong ( for someone older then you ) or Pi ( for some younger then you ) ....

It is the other way round

No she's correct about that- you use nong for yourself with an elder person. However she is wrong with khun for herself. Thai people never refer to any(well hardly any) farang as khun if they are not present. Usually they use 'mun' which is a pronoun used also with animals. My wife even admits this and she was educated in Emgland.

They do however always refer to the kings fabourite dog , thong daeng, as khun thong daeng. Kinda illustrates where we foreigners stand doesn't it.

There is a big difference. The first one is a personal pronoun or a title out of respcet and the second one is a possessive adjective form.

In the first example you sound like a moron. In the second one you just sound like a 14 year old Hello Kitty teenager talking to her boyfriend.

Edited by Hawkup2000

Keep up please ;)

Khun is a second person address not a first person.

Whenever I have asked Thai their name they have always responded with the name not with Khun ***.

In 17 years I have never heard a Thai refer to themselves as Khun ****, It is a form of address made to a second party where the person is not familiar to the speaker. In cases where the second person is familiar such as a friend etc....the words for brother, sister, aunty or uncle are generally used.

So if by not using the term Khun when referring to ones self is bastardizing the Thai language, there must be a lot of Thai Bastards around.....mmmmmm not going any further with that one!! :blink:

I've just had a phone call from a Thai guy, he introduced himself as 'Khun ....... calling from ........'

17 years you say?!

Yes 17 years.....thats two lots of fingers and seven toes.... :rolleyes:

Edited by gburns57au

What's ' ajarn ' :blink:

Yet another example of misuse of their actual job description, the great majority are nothing more than khruu.

Darrel from Peckham with his dubious TEFL certificate (and no degree) is a prime example of the sort who refer to themselves as ajarn, whilst masquerading as a teacher in Thailand.

I agree; in order to be an ajarn you should probably have at least a masters degree if not a phd. Just cause you work at a university doesn't mean you are a professor.

I worked with many phd's in the states that insisted on being called "dr."

I actually have a doctorate degree, and Thais do not call me Ajarn. They call a former teacher Ajarn at the office, but do not refer to me as Ajarn. Ironically, Thais do call people in my field with a BS degree as "Ajarn." I am not sure if it is that Thais refuse to recognize a doctorate from America, or they would just rather insult the "Falang."

I had a Thai with a MS, refer to herself as "MA" (doctor because she works at a hospital) and me as a "Falang" when realistically she is my Jr. She said this to a pateint, and yes I also work in the medical field.

Welcome to Thailand....

So, I just got arrested for calling a policeman Mung Lieutenant..

I then met his Senior Officer who I referred to as Nong Colonel, that didn't go too well either.

The Junior recruit who I referred to a Phi Constable asked me my name and I replied Khun Jim (apparently wrong tone).

Apparently I was then just let off for being a complete dimwit... I'm going to have to Call Khun Bob for advise on this one.....

So, I just got arrested for calling a policeman Mung Lieutenant..

I then met his Senior Officer who I referred to as Nong Colonel, that didn't go too well either.

The Junior recruit who I referred to a Phi Constable asked me my name and I replied Khun Jim (apparently wrong tone).

Apparently I was then just let off for being a complete dimwit... I'm going to have to Call Khun Bob for advise on this one.....

Very good. biggrin.gif

What my g/f calls me and what other people call me are very different :lol: but she's only messing about, no honest, she is! ;)

As far as I understand it, it's for others to decide whether or not to use the 'khun' in front of your name or not. if you use it yourself you'd sound like you're responding to the question "what's your name?" and replying with "Mr Joe Blogs" Joe Blogs will do, leave it up to them if they then want to say "Joe" or "Mr Blogs" or "Oi you!"

If you use it to describe yourself aren't you kind of 'honouring yourself' with a level of respect that isn't yours to decide upon?

I shall, for the rest of the day, refer to myself as The Right Honourable Mr Bifftastic in honour of my previous achievements :wai: