Back To Food

Gonzo the Face

I don't know is this is something American or New Yorker directed or not, but does anyone remember The Kaiser Roll, with the swirl top and with Poppy Seeds. They are the little black dots that look like small BB's.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the Poppy, of drug infamy or not, but does anyone know of anyplace in Chiang Mai where you can buy Poppy Seeds ???

Haven't been able to find any and the India Spice man in Warorot Mkt does not know either.

Just one of those 30 year old memories re-occuring. Would like to make some Kaiser rolls for some special Sandwiches.

Thanks

Gonzo

post-22124-070036800 1286448667_thumb.jp

El Jefe, if you are keeping up with the forum, check in.... I need some Poppy Seeds

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Ask at Kasem. She got them for us.

Thanks.

Thats where I started and she made up a batch but they were little brown dots, that tasted a bit like fish eggs.......

Did she get you the real kind , the black poppy seeds and about how much are they over here ??

GTF, I asked my wife and she told me a bakery shop called Pran Krua (sp?) has them. She lived in the States with me so knows what you're looking for. She described the shop's location as at the Surapee Rd. / Nong Hoy Rd. intersection and then up Surapee Rd about 100 m or so. Hope it helps.

Ask at Kasem. She got them for us.

Thanks.

Thats where I started and she made up a batch but they were little brown dots, that tasted a bit like fish eggs.......

Did she get you the real kind , the black poppy seeds and about how much are they over here ??

Just the seeds we got from her. They were relatively cheap.

Might want to avoid any blood/urine tests for a few days after eating them. ;)

*****Poppy Seeds such as on the Burger King roll, on a bagel from your favorite deli, etc. The journal of Clinical Chemistry Vol. 33 No. 6, 1987 reports: "the quantities of poppy seed ingested in this study (25 and 40 g) may be expected to be contained in one or two servings of poppy seed cake. therefore, poppy seeds represent a potentially serious source of falsely positive results in testing opiate abuse." Clinical Chemistry goes on to conclude: Not only is it difficult to distinguish heroin or morphine abuse from codeine, but dietary poppy seeds can give a strong positive result for urinary opiate of several days duration that is confirmed by GC/MS analysis".

Here is positive proof. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMqQLgw7Uz4

"El Jefe, if you are keeping up with the forum, check in.... I need some Poppy Seeds"

G

Hey Gonzo,

I haven't been checking (I'm waiting for you to send me the weekly recap) but my wife lurks regularly.

I'd be happy to help you, and have the poppy seeds complete their around-the-world journey.

It might be easier (certainly quicker) to send your wife to some of the remote areas on Doi Pui. I'm sure there are still a few rai dedicated to poppies. They won't understand why you want some of their crop to go to seed, but explaining Kaiser rolls will be half the fun.

If you use enough poppy seeds you'll have to offer Happy Meals on your menu.

Edited by el jefe

Might want to avoid any blood/urine tests for a few days after eating them. ;)

*****Poppy Seeds such as on the Burger King roll, on a bagel from your favorite deli, etc. The journal of Clinical Chemistry Vol. 33 No. 6, 1987 reports: "the quantities of poppy seed ingested in this study (25 and 40 g) may be expected to be contained in one or two servings of poppy seed cake. therefore, poppy seeds represent a potentially serious source of falsely positive results in testing opiate abuse." Clinical Chemistry goes on to conclude: Not only is it difficult to distinguish heroin or morphine abuse from codeine, but dietary poppy seeds can give a strong positive result for urinary opiate of several days duration that is confirmed by GC/MS analysis".

Here is positive proof. :D

I met a guy in Ko Samui who claimed to have been busted for using heroin after eating poppy-seed cake. I always thought he was full of it. :blink:

"El Jefe, if you are keeping up with the forum, check in.... I need some Poppy Seeds"

G

Hey Gonzo,

I haven't been checking (I'm waiting for you to send me the weekly recap) but my wife lurks regularly.

I'd be happy to help you, and have the poppy seeds complete their around-the-world journey.

It might be easier (certainly quicker) to send your wife to some of the remote areas on Doi Pui. I'm sure there are still a few rai dedicated to poppies. Tried that and they now say they have seen the light and gone on to other alternate crops......wanted to sell me 2 kilos of cabbage for US$5.000. Couldn't explain that the Kaiser Rolls would have to be too big to sell .... They won't understand why you want some of their crop to go to seed, but explaining Kaiser rolls will be half the fun.

If you use enough poppy seeds you'll have to offer Happy Meals on your menu. Use enough poppy seed and charge them for the meal they never got..... that a happy meal....

Hope the journey is going good, rather than to your expectation.....say hi to M and don't forget to say hello for me to your wonderful Mother-in-law :D:D

Just as a PS..............Tesco bake and sell some nice long European style loaves covered in Poppy Seeds. They appear to be there one minute and gone the next so are obviously popular. Seems they bake at least two batches a day but I don't know if the seeds are available in pots on their own or not. Next trip I will look around the shelves.

after all these weird posts, I have started thinking that maybe we will be starting a new fad.....or new marketing program for The Pun Pun.

All that get busted for not passing the test can always say [and show their receipt for the food consumed ] "but honest officer, there must be a mistake, see I just came from The Pun Pun and had a Kaiser roll with poppy seeds"

Hey times are rough,...... a guy has to think outside the envelope....

G

:ph34r:

G

Hey Gonzo,

It might be easier (certainly quicker) to send your wife to some of the remote areas on Doi Pui. I'm sure there are still a few rai dedicated to poppies. Tried that and they now say they have seen the light and gone on to other alternate crops......wanted to sell me 2 kilos of cabbage for US$5.000. Couldn't explain that the Kaiser Rolls would have to be too big to sell .... They won't understand why you want some of their crop to go to seed, but explaining Kaiser rolls will be half the fun.

If you use enough poppy seeds you'll have to offer Happy Meals on your menu. Use enough poppy seed and charge them for the meal they never got..... that a happy meal....

Hope the journey is going good, rather than to your expectation.....say hi to M and don't forget to say hello for me to your wonderful Mother-in-law :D:D

I hate to throw seriousness into a thread, especially a pretty dead one like this. But ...

They were still growing poppies pretty recently in the local area. It was only two years ago that the gov't found and destroyed several rai of poppy fields on Doi Suthep. I doubt they were thinking of Kaiser rolls and poppy seed cake when planting.

And there's a hike several of us have done that we call "The Forgotten Trail". It's a little-used, overgrown trail that passes through a marijuana field. Maybe that's the "alternative crop" you were thinking of?

Anyway, you have a couple of weeks to decide if you want me to bring the poppy seeds. I'll be back in CM in a month. Oh, and my mother in law says she wants to meet you.

G

Hey Gonzo,

I hate to throw seriousness into a thread, especially a pretty dead one like this. But ...

They were still growing poppies pretty recently in the local area. It was only two years ago that the gov't found and destroyed several rai of poppy fields on Doi Suthep. I doubt they were thinking of Kaiser rolls and poppy seed cake when planting.

And there's a hike several of us have done that we call "The Forgotten Trail". It's a little-used, overgrown trail that passes through a marijuana field. Maybe that's the "alternative crop" you were thinking of?

Anyway, you have a couple of weeks to decide if you want me to bring the poppy seeds. I'll be back in CM in a month. Oh, and my mother in law says she wants to meet you.

Thank You El...... its ok gang , I know him pretty well thats why I just use his first name.

...will keep you advised re the seeds and due to my trememdously hectic schedule and that what you have told me re your MIL, I have scheduled a meeting for her right after Godzilla.

Look up Ernie K Doe as a ref [another 30 year old flashback]

Thanks

Gonzo