River Front Works In Vientiane

sceadugenga

I saw a post on landscaping and construction going on on the banks of the Mekong in Vientiane so took a few pictures when I was there this week.

It seems fairly far advanced, not sure what the completion date would be. Still plenty of river front views and the dust isn't bad at the moment... may deteriorate with the end of the fun ladoo though.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Edited by sceadugenga

I was there recently myself. I was told that this project is financed by Korea. It is supposed to be some resorts and public park. I think it is screwing up the riverfront, personally.

Let's see what will be the final result but, maybe, a bit better than the messy river front of before wouldn't be so bad!

However the idea of a resort over there is really disgusting...

Should look ok when finished.  They could make it look a lot better if they transplanted a load of mature trees to provide a bit of shade, look a little less barren.  The saplings they've planted will take a few years to mature, some look dead already.  I was there 13 yrs ago, & the riverfront was an undeveloped eyesore .  Even half finished as it is, it was a nice to sit on the steps leading down to the river to watch the sunset. 

Should look ok when finished. They could make it look a lot better if they transplanted a load of mature trees to provide a bit of shade, look a little less barren. The saplings they've planted will take a few years to mature, some look dead already. I was there 13 yrs ago, & the riverfront was an undeveloped eyesore . Even half finished as it is, it was a nice to sit on the steps leading down to the river to watch the sunset.

Very interesting. I was there 7 years ago and there was just one rather pleasant little thatched roof bar/restaurant on the top of the sandy bank, not far down stream of the Chinese temple/ceramic shop/theatre.

In it (the restaurant!), we met a well spoken Burmese man who introduced himself as the owner. He proudly told us that he had just done a deal with the government to lease and develop 3kms of the riverbank, from that point upstream.

While I'm sad for him and (I assume) his missing millions, I am delighted for us and Mother Nature that the project never got an inch furthur. And I wouldn't take bets on this one either.

I think this discussion is example of difference between farang in SE Asia. There are those who come here to enjoy and appreciate culture of Asia and who value history and learning of the past, and those who wish to turn it into a cheap copy of where they came from. I go to Vientiane because it is, compared to Thailand, still relatively undeveloped and historical. Apparently this will end soon. Some farang will be happy with this. Others, like myself, will not.

It's just the same old game LOS and Lao have been playing for the last decade.........'Catch up with the other side'. With all the 'improvements' that Thai has done, Laos has to 'catch up' From what I have seen all along the Mekong.....it's Thailand that is adding the most cement to the river banks and building the most visable improvements to show off their wealth.