Recent Double-Entry Tourist Visa In Vientiane ?

Sawasdee Khrup,

Before posting this, I did do a search on 'Vientiane' on this forum; found a message dated October 8, stating the visas were, in fact, free at this time. They were not free when I was there last April (in spite of the Thai government's announcing they were free prior to my visit) ... which did not surprise me because I had checked here first and knew that was the case.

In case you've "done Vientiane" in the last week or so, would really appreciate any "updates."

thanks ! ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

• 1 month later...

as my post "visa from down under?reveals on the 5th of november 2010 i was refused a double entry tr in vientiane,

i was not alone on that day as around 10 farangs seemed shocked with their "singles" i have been thailand for 15 months

prior (non im "o") , and it was my first application for a double tr in 10 years?

I was chatting with someone in KSR who had also been shocked to have just been refused a Tourist visa in Vientiane.

He was given the 15 day land-entry visa. He has been living in Thailand for a number of years and has a Thai wife and children so clearly he is going to have problems.

Seems like the new policies will serve to increase the number of overstays instead of decrease them.

Reason for edit: change 14 days to 15 days

Edited by rak sa_ngop

I was chatting with someone in KSR who had also been shocked to have just been refused a Tourist visa in Vientiane.

He was given the 15 day land-entry visa. He has been living in Thailand for a number of years and has a Thai wife and children so clearly he is going to have problems.

Seems like the new policies will serve to increase the number of overstays instead of decrease them.

Why should the policies increase the overstays? If the gentlemen you mentioned is married to a Thai, he should have applied for a Non-immigrant "O" Visa, not a Tourist Visa.

Why should the policies increase the overstays? If the gentlemen you mentioned is married to a Thai, he should have applied for a Non-immigrant "O" Visa, not a Tourist Visa.

Your first question: I guess he is alluding to the opinion that immigration want to increase the number of overstays so they can line their pockets further. Certain "conspiracy theory farangs" seem to think laws have been changed recently to aid in what they consider a money collection sham....

Staggering that these guys are quick to come to this judgement while conveniently brushing aside the issue that THEIR overstaying activities are actually illegal..and hence in all fairness they SHOULD bounced out of the country as soon as possible, INSTEAD of a mere 20,000 BAHT slap on the wrist and allowed passage back into the country...therein not much worse of than those of us who actually FOLLOW the laws.

Of the others, who you have correctly stated SHOULD have the correct visa for their situation: I'd suggest many of these people dont have the yearly funds needed to show in order to get the NON O, plus i guess they have concluded that long staying on a tourist visa is actually cheaper and less hassle in the long run..if they can get away with it

Seems like the door is slowly being closed and because of the activities of these A"holes, all of us others who occasionally use tourist visas are going to be affected also :realangry:

There is no requirement for funds to obtain a non immigrant O visa (other than the normal 20k that might have to be shown). A multi entry might require this in the local area but not everywhere. It is extension of stay from immigration that has set financial requirements.

He had his personel reasons, maybe he is not legally married, and maybe his "Thai wife" is not a legal Thai citizen. And of course maybe he hasn't got the money to return to his home country or have sufficient funds for a marriage visa.

All I am saying is that this 'gentleman' is likely to join the ranks of the overstays after about 10 legal years in Thailand because of the recent crackdown in easy tourist visas.

He had his personel reasons, maybe he is not legally married, and maybe his "Thai wife" is not a legal Thai citizen. And of course maybe he hasn't got the money to return to his home country or have sufficient funds for a marriage visa.

All I am saying is that this 'gentleman' is likely to join the ranks of the overstays after about 10 legal years in Thailand because of the recent crackdown in easy tourist visas.

As you said, those are personal reasons, but I would hardly call someone living here ten years a tourist. Anyway, it's more about his situation being the problem, not one consulate deciding to be a little less generous. He can apply at another consulate, or he can meet the requirements for a Non-immigrant Visa and probably re-apply there, but no need to overstay.

Edited by beechguy

I have just returned from Vientiane Laos, trying to get a double entry Tourist visa, handed in application at the counter, and lady without consulting any data told me I was working in Thailand. I told her I was not and did not need to, as I get an Australian and a British Pensions. She studied my British Passport and said "You have 4 entries into Thailand on tourist visas, you are only allowed 4. I will give you a single entry tourist visa don't come back to this Embassy". When I got in the mini van of the group I travelled with all except 1 was rejected double entry Tourist visas, on the basis the were working. But in fact the only one in the group who was given a double entry tourist visa is the only one who is working unofficially. The female immigration officer in uniform at the counter was very rude to all my group, although we had gone to the counter individually and at different times. I only needed one more double entry visa, as I will be leaving Thailand for good in the middle of March 2011. If one follows her logic literally you can only enter Thailand 4 times on Tourist visas. On a 10 year passport that is 1 entry to 2 1/2 years. Ridicules.

Not really. If he has sufficient income/money to raise a family than he has no problems.

well i'm not sure what will happen with regard to overstays?but some of the things that are going on don't make much sense, a senior mod commented on my length of stay

in thailand,(15 months non im "o")but a freind went to lao 2 months ago and got a double entry after 8 years in thailand??and here's another conspricy theory there was one thing that

separated him from me and about 10 other single entry visa runner's. he paid an agent?? i asked the falangs who were all moaning about the veintine consul and all had taken

the cheaper option,and maybe thats what the older thai lady ment when she commented i didn't understand i was already getting a free holiday?? i think she was alluding to

the fact that currently the tr visa's are free,any farang who thinks he knows all the answers in thailand is kidding himself (million'ers excluded of course)TIT

In the Chiang Mai forum another poster said something about a new general counsel being appointed.

Said something about it will take a few weeks etc of "bargaining" before the deals are set with the agents services.

That makes sense. There are periodic ripples like this. Was a mini crackdown in last March.

This poster thought it would be business as usual in the near future... Also when they start charging again for tourist visa's then Ventiane would have more incentive to issue them...

Last time I was there in September it was dead... Hardly any lines. Any changes are not designed to stop and increasing inflow of people.

That was the case back in 06/07 when lot of visitors and before the crash.

I recently returned from the runner. I have my double.

The entire trip, 3 nights in Vientiane and fan sleeper 2x (5 nights total) + food and four bottles of beer cost me less than B2600.

I had a ac room with tv. The ac very unecc after November, but I like the cable tv as I'm pretty bored in Vientiane and do not have access to a tv otherwise. I even bought a Tshirt for my niece and 2 immersion coils.

Trip to Vientiane from border is actually about b30 on the blue bus and b40 by samlor. I now walk to the border, especially in the morning cool. I especially walk to the consulate in Lao. Vientiane is still the nicest capital in E Asia for walking.

Food is about 20% more in Lao due to the lack of "economies of scale" that Thailand has.

I did not ask anyone about their own circumstances per visa. Most looked pretty scary. There were get this - cans of beer, people now drinking IN the consulate left on the tables. Not only the drinking, but the sloth not to put them in the bin.

Many more guys speaking languages I cannot discern. As if the Westerners time has past, they know what is what in Thailand. Time to import fresh meat.

Numbers about = 100. Typical losers. Saw about 3 guys who looked like they had their act together. The rest I wouldn't give a visa to either. Having said that - surely imo most of these people are not working. About half could be easily legitimate tourists.

This ship has sailed. Better make a new plan.

On a similar note, reading the above comments of: roskruge

My hunch is that this "group" thing you were on, you all had issues because you were all the usual suspects. Why would this be a shocker? All the guys, back to back visas, living on TRs, luggage in hand (perhaps even a beer in the other), home address Bangkok or Pattaya.

I would imagine that the guy working illegally who did not get the stamp or spanking or both had some sort of "system" or forwarding thinking you "group think" guys do not.

Edited by bangkokburning