The Best Resturant In Chiang Mai

ChangMaiSausage

Having trouble with my search engine and knowing that a lot of foodies live in CM thought I would put the question to you guys.

If you can have a meal in one resturant in CM which resturant would you choose and why? Cost is not an issue?

I have friends visiting between Christmas and New Year adn I know he will ask me to book a nice place to eat.

What do you recommend?

Dave

you can go way out to impress or spend if money is not an object .

first i would go down to riverside and book the whole boat trip .

tell them i got importance guest and would like to have a 10 course dinner , with the best selection their outlet can offer,

There have to be a chef on board to perform some cooking skill with a little fire over the pan style act .

a bar tender who is about to make some wicked drink .

then i would hire a branch of sexy model as waitress as well as a few really good musician . . and then hire an a camera crew to take the event . i would also rent a limo to fetch my friends and then hire a few elephant to usher them to the Boat . arrange some firework . while we cruise down the river . and also hire a dance crew on another boat to tag along with a performance platform which allow then to perform Thai lunna dance under a pale moonlight with candle lite lantern all over .

i will also hire some stunt man to serve some food using a jet ski or some kinda power boat .

after all dining is notthing but and experience .

if not i would just go to any restaurant that server a decent meal and is not pack and i do not need to wait on that special days .

Riverside wins my vote too

I prefer to be a land lubber, but the boat is also good.

The steak 'house special' is particularly good, the Thai food is also very good.

The food is good, the location is good, the live band is good, and Thai ladies are extremely keen to go there.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Which one's do you already like Dave?

Whilst in CM I'm happy eating anywhere but knowing my friend he will want to eat out one evening something a bit special.

I've eaten at most places along the Riverside but none of them stood out as being outstanding.

Maybe the Four Seasons could be an option.

DT

I would go to one of the restaurants at the Mandarin Oriental---maybe Farang Ses. You will get excellent food & service. Then finish with a fine Calvados (or whatever you like) at the Horn Bar. Almost more to the point the whole place is special---all right, it's kitsch, but it is remarkably good kitsch. Just walking up to the lobby from the parking lot is an experience (I prefer to reject the buggy ride and walk---much better).

Those suggesting the Riverside must surely be joking. I like the Riverside, and think the food and ambience and value there are fine...but "The Best Restaurant in Chiang Mai"? Nowhere near.

Edited by neilrob

Gekko Garden Restaurant. I don't know why more people don't eat there.

never been there is it that good? it doesnt look too fancy passing by but can't really see inside. any photos?

Geez, I don't think so.

If I can't see the kitchen, then first thing I do is visit the bathroom before I eat. If what I can see is first rate, then I have more confidence in what I can't see.

Four Seasons Sunday Brunch is outstanding. A huge range of top quality food from many food stations which includes unlimited wine, beer and cocktails. Starts again in November 1,500 baht a head last year.

Is this Restauant way out of town near Mae Rim or is there another one of the same name in Chiang Mai?

Four Seasons Sunday Brunch is outstanding. A huge range of top quality food from many food stations which includes unlimited wine, beer and cocktails. Starts again in November 1,500 baht a head last year.

Is this Restauant way out of town near Mae Rim or is there another one of the same name in Chiang Mai?

Its in Mae Rim on the way to the elephant camps. Bloody expensive so take your Amex gold card

I like to take my friends to this place wedged in between Changmai Commercial College and the Royal Guest House. It is only open during the day. Most expensive thing on the menu is 35 THB. Real thai food, real thai cooks, real thai customers. It's almost always dam_n near perfect.

If I wanted to show someone how to waste a lot of money on a mediocre meal, I would take them to one places along the river.

I like to take my friends to this place wedged in between Changmai Commercial College and the Royal Guest House. It is only open during the day. Most expensive thing on the menu is 35 THB. Real thai food, real thai cooks, real thai customers. It's almost always dam_n near perfect.

If I wanted to show someone how to waste a lot of money on a mediocre meal, I would take them to one places along the river.

It's amazing how "2 succulently flame grilled prawns, done to perfection and served on a light bed of finest exotic jasmin rice, topped with a sprig of our own home garden grown holy basil" can cost a fortune in some places....and people pay it.

Pad grapow gai, kai dow suk, kaaw suay, laaw goh pepsi duay 50 baht.....wins hands down every time. wink.gif

When you know a place, they do not give you msg and sugar if you don't want it and they wash the wok every time.

If the cost of the meal is not a consideration then I would go to Le Crystal which is one of the nicest French restaurants in CM, The food here really is excellent however it can be very quiet especially during the week and therefore lacks atmosphere. For French with a buzz and a lower price then try either Chez Marco at the moat end of the Loh Kroh road or the relatively new La Terrace down a small Soi next to the temple in the same road. For decent Thai food with an incredible view you shound consider the roof terrace at the Heritage Hotel.

I've always been disappointed at the more expensive restaurants in town. In my experience, they are usually no better than mid-priced type places like Marco's but much more expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, but I am not willing to pay a lot more just for atmosphere. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've always been disappointed at the more expensive restaurants in town. In my experience, they are usually no better than mid-priced type places like Marco's but much more expensive. I don't mind paying for quality, but I am not willing to pay a lot more just for atmosphere. :(

Absolutely agree. I don't want some delicate creation that takes up only 1/6th of the plate....I want somewhere that gives a whole plate of food and skip the artistry.