Villa Market Price Mark-Up

BillR

Doesn't really what the price is...if you want or need it...you buy it. No use comparing the cost to back home...you aren't in Kansas [or Oz] anymore. ;)

True. I remember when I was in Oslo on Kho Samui. Sure most products are more expensive on the islands, but if you really want something you just buy it without comparing prizes.;-)

I mainly eat western food and my shopping bill is ludicrous, but when its 3 quid for a tin of 50 pence beans you compare, some breakfast cereals that cost 2 quid back home are 350/400 bht in there, ive never met anyone in my life who has described how he is missing a specific cereal and would pay 4 times the price .... but we've several sets of visitors from the UK here this week so i'm well and truly stocked up on tinned goods.smile.gif

Doesn't really what the price is...if you want or need it...you buy it. No use comparing the cost to back home...you aren't in Kansas [or Oz] anymore. ;)

True. I remember when I was in Oslo on Kho Samui. Sure most products are more expensive on the islands, but if you really want something you just buy it without comparing prizes.;-)

I mainly eat western food and my shopping bill is ludicrous, but when its 3 quid for a tin of 50 pence beans you compare, some breakfast cereals that cost 2 quid back home are 350/400 bht in there, ive never met anyone in my life who has described how he is missing a specific cereal and would pay 4 times the price .... but we've several sets of visitors from the UK here this week so i'm well and truly stocked up on tinned goods.smile.gif

Meet me. GRAPE NUTS!

onions and tomatoes (the regular thai ones) 70B/k Villa, thai market 20B/k.

7/11 I believe has a 20% markup on cost, there's a thread about it in the business forum.

Edited by BillR

onions and tomatoes (the regular thai ones) 70B/k Villa, thai market 20B/k.

7/11 I believe has a 20% markup on cost, there's a thread about it in the business forum.

My wife's main complain about Thai wet markets - stall owners do not allow you to select and choose. This means you have to accept a few bad ones in the mix.

Tomatoes of about 2-inch dia are sold in Tesco Lotus for about Bt30+/kg. Use to buying them for soup.

Edited by trogers

As I stated above, for long-term expatriates, it doesn't matter what some imported item (food, camera, car, or whatever) costs in Thailand vs. "back home." If you want or need it and can afford it, you buy it. If you have been here many many years like many, you don't even remember what things used to cost or what their current cost is anyway. And with many shrunken Western currencies, it's too painful to make the calculation anyway :o

Not completely true. I still am aware of the price difference after staying here for over 20 years. This is because I fly over to Singapore a couple of times a year, and I will buy back imported canned goods, coffee, jam, etc.

I will go over with my cabin bag inside a large suitcase, and fill the suitcase with goodies coming back. Unfortunately, I cannot pack in fresh meat...:D

It's possible to be aware but what good does that do? It's just not relevant, it's as I said above. I too am still aware of the price of some things "back home" from my infrequent trips there but this knowledge is irrelevant to my life in Thailand. Whether you are converting salary/pension into bahts or earning a salary in baht, to anyone living in Thailand, especially long-term or permanently, what's relevant to their spending is the price of goods and services in baht. Once you come to this realization, you have made your peace with living in Thailand.

As for packing food items in one's suitcase when abroad, it seems daft to me and more trouble than it's worth, unless the item is not available in Thailand.

Edited by FarangBuddha

As for packing food items in one's suitcase when abroad, it seems daft to me and more trouble than it's worth, unless the item is not available in Thailand.

Not really, when price difference per can/jar can range from Bt100 to over Bt250 each.

I think you misunderstood my comment. If someone is fairly new to Thailand they will obviously compare prices with their home Country.

Incidentally the last time I went into a Villa Supermarket, I felt their prices were rather high.

Must have a revisit to check prices again.

I get my rack of lamb from either Villa or Carrefour (Rama 4). About Bt600+/kg, which is still much cheaper than eating out.

Yes, exchange rate doesn't help of course, but a decent Oz rack of lamb in the US will cost you at least $15, more in the UK. So Villa is pretty competitive. Can't remember what that rack would cost in Oz but my Australian friends always used to tell me lamb is for sending to Poms and feeding the dog................