Pantipprice.com : Scam Or Real ?

Butterfly

Anyone here had pleasant experience with Pantipprice.com ? good looking site, good price etc... I did an order and was given the option to pay when order is delivered. Other options included pay by VISA or MC or bank transfer.

However, after choosing the option "Cash on Delivery", I was forced to a page where I was asked to do a bank transfer. Odd isn't it ?

To make things worse, the bank info are made to an INDIVIDUAL, not a company as you can see below:

You can transfer to this account name : MR. WUTTHIPHONG CHAT-ANAN

Saving account

- Bangkok Bank Saka Yoi Pantip ACC NO. 087-0-02780-2

- Thai Farmers Bank Pratuname Pratumwan ACC NO. 005-2-64693-6

- Ayudhya Bank Pratunam ACC NO. 004-1-31448-4

- Thai Commercial Bank Samnak Chidlom ACC NO. 001-5-47240-4

- Krung Thai Bank Pratunam ACC NO. 163-1-25706-4

- Bank Of Asia City Complex ACC NO. 070-2-15091-3

- Thai Military Bank Intra Pratunam ACC NO. 083-2-07962-8

<deleted> ???? :o

you cannot claim refund, so you have to check it on site. pay anything in advance for Pantip shop is the most pathetic thing to do. Hence - it's a scam, don't even try it.Once they got your money - you're screwed/.

A friend of mine has used Pantipprice many times to buy stuff for his computer. No problems. He gets it delivered down here in Phuket the next day by courier.

I don't know what got up Oleg's nose - if you've got proof or a story to relate, then tell us.

Don't worry about the payment page. If you select cash on delivery in Bangkok that is what you can do. I have used them several times and always received a call back to confirm and obtain driving information so a phone number is important. Excellent English speaker by the way.

Some have said price can be high, which is probably true, but not that much out of line for most things.

As for the bank money transfer that is how it is done by most small outfits in Thailand - a personal name account - you will find that is the case with most travel services also. I would not want to pay a huge amount in this manner but normal computer type purchase can see no problem; especially when they have a long track record which this place seems to have.

Edited by lopburi3

Well, there is not even a telephone number to contact them about my order and I am not holding my breath for them to contact me after I send them an email.

I am not going to do that transfer.

It seems that the site is full of bugs. First it advertises you can pay by credit card but you actually can't. When you choose shipping method, it doesn't update anything. A lot of silly bugs that make the whole thing not as professional as I would have expected.

Prices are actually alright and the general feeling of the site is good. You have the usual inconsistent english in the email confirmation but that's to be expected from a Thai website. Maybe it's a FireFox vs Internet Explorer issue with bugs that makes the wrong choice for me.

I have used them many times for both personnal purchases and for the university. They are NOT a scam. They are responsive and courteous. As for refunds, very few places will give you a monetary refund but will exchange.

I had one problem where the 19" LCD monitor I received had a defect. Sent in the claim request using their web page and the manager called me personnally to explain what to do. Sent it back and shortly received the replacement unit, ended up being a newer and better model for the same price. He was apologetic that they did not test it before sending it which is their normal procedure.

So don't be concerned about it being a front, it is legitimate and one of the few places where customer service seems to mean something to them.

definitely not a scam, once u have ordered with them once they will do COD..

I got an IPOD mini from them which stopped workin after a few weeks, they sent someone round to my appartment to pick it up, then brought a new one a few days later :o

Ya dont get customer service like that very often..

Ok they gave me a call and told me they would deliver tomorrow. We'll see.

Very polite and good English over the phone so maybe not so bad.

######, too bad those silly bugs on their website make them suspicious. It would cost them nothing to fix it. When you do online commerce, all your credibility fits is on the web page. You can't afford silly bugs like that if you want to have a real online business.

Prices are good though. They are a little bit cheaper than most shops at Fortune City

Ok got the package and paid.

One item was already opened and obviously used. So I ask for a replacement. No problem.

Sounds like a good place after all. I will order again another item to see if it was NOT incidental.

So I guess not a scam.

Thank you all for the feedback, above all from those who already ordered from them.

Edited by Butterfly

...One item was already opened and obviously used....

One thing that I don't like is some shops open the box/package to put on a warranty expiry sticker before they put it on the shelf for sale. This means

1. you don't know whether the goods are new or not and

2. if the product was on the shelf for a month, you get one month less warranty.

I prefer to shop where they open the package in front of you, and put the sticker on while you watch.

...One item was already opened and obviously used....

One thing that I don't like is some shops open the box/package to put on a warranty expiry sticker before they put it on the shelf for sale. This means

1. you don't know whether the goods are new or not and

2. if the product was on the shelf for a month, you get one month less warranty.

I prefer to shop where they open the package in front of you, and put the sticker on while you watch.

Yeah, same with me. First they tried to explain to me that they had to open it to put the sticker. Ok then but why the other package wasn't opened ? and then I look at the product and I see no sticker. Definitely a used item or a "demo" for a shop. Not good. Didn't accept the package and returned it. Waiting for it next week.

i saw the price of a lcd sony screen from them ( pantipprice.com ) and i went to pantip plaza , got my lcd for 5000 bahts less as the pantipprice !

i ask my friend he said they are bit more expensive , I think will be good to confirm the price from them .

My thoughts are that they are not a scam site, have fairly good service, but are generally more expensive (in some cases a lot more expensive) than actual "Pantip" stores. Therefore, the site name "pantipprice" is a bit misleading, since they really don't have anything to do with Pantip, and their prices do not reflect the prices at Pantip. If you cannot be bothered to go in person to one of the IT centers, it is probably a good alternative.

Mail order in Thailand is still fairly undeveloped. It would be nice to see a place like Newegg or Amazon open here.

My thoughts are that they are not a scam site, have fairly good service, but are generally more expensive (in some cases a lot more expensive) than actual "Pantip" stores.  Therefore, the site name "pantipprice" is a bit misleading, since they really don't have anything to do with Pantip, and their prices do not reflect the prices at Pantip.  If you cannot be bothered to go in person to one of the IT centers, it is probably a good alternative.

Mail order in Thailand is still fairly undeveloped.  It would be nice to see a place like Newegg or Amazon open here.

The web site lists a Pantip address and room number for location. Do you know this is false?

My thoughts are that they are not a scam site, have fairly good service, but are generally more expensive (in some cases a lot more expensive) than actual "Pantip" stores .  Therefore, the site name "pantipprice" is a bit misleading, since they really don't have anything to do with Pantip , and their prices do not reflect the prices at Pantip.  If you cannot be bothered to go in person to one of the IT centers, it is probably a good alternative.

Mail order in Thailand is still fairly undeveloped.  It would be nice to see a place like Newegg or Amazon open here.

pantipprice.com

Pantip Plaza bld., 2th fl, room 2108

Petchaburi Rd. Ratchadhavee

Bangkok Thailand 10400, tele. no.

Also, I am willing to pay a little more for good service and the convenience of purchasing on-line. My experience with them is that, yes, some items are more expensive then a store here in Chiangmai, but more often then not they are less expensive. I do on-line comparision shopping before I place my order - they are not the only mail order company I do business with, but they are my first choice.

Sorry, perhaps I was a bit vague about my comments. What I meant to say was that they use the name "pantip price", which should mean that they have prices like those typically found in pantip, ie, a place to find products that are indicative of prices in Pantip. That is why I think the name is a bit misleading, as they don't reflect the typical prices in Pantip. I know many of you are loyal customers, but this is simply my opinion. I did say that it was a good choice if you can't/won't visit an IT center.

If you want the prices of a typical IT center store in Bangkok, then go to www.hwhinter.com (their stores actually sell a bit cheaper than the prices listed on the web). Do a side-by-side comparison, and you will see the difference, sometimes small, sometimes not so small.

Again, my point is that their name, pantipprice, is misleading. They are located in pantip, but are not actually selling at typical pantip prices.

Again, my point is that their name, pantipprice, is misleading.  They are located in pantip, but are not actually selling at typical pantip prices.

Thanks for the clarification, I understand what you mean now. It would be quite interesting if anyone goes to Pantip Plaza and looks up the physical store Pantipprice and see if the store prices and the web prices are in line with each other. I imagine their overhead is high to support their web commerce and as such somewhat higher prices then the non-web commerce Pantip stores.

i saw the price of a lcd sony screen from them ( pantipprice.com ) and i went to pantip plaza , got my lcd for 5000 bahts less as the pantipprice !

i ask my friend he said they are bit more expensive , I think will be good to confirm the price from them .

Yep.

They claim also they will adjust any price if you ask for a quotation first before ordering. They could be shopping right in Pantip first before quoting you the items.

I was also interested by the Sony LCD and it is indeed 5000 baht more. But I saw another LCD 17'' and it was 3000 baht less than the other places at Pantip.

Edited by Butterfly

Lots of good reviews on Pantipprice.com by mods...Well ill try buy something from them too but i will make sure and tell them its better be a new 1st hand product rather then the second hand....Ill try them now....

If you want the prices of a typical IT center store in Bangkok, then go to www.hwhinter.com (their stores actually sell a bit cheaper than the prices listed on the web).  Do a side-by-side comparison, and you will see the difference, sometimes small, sometimes not so small.

I did not see an english version on http://www.hwhinter.com/, did I miss something?

I imagine their overhead is high to support their web commerce and as such somewhat higher prices then the non-web commerce Pantip stores.

Surely the advanatage of the web commerce is lower overheads and therefore cheaper prices?

Not if they have both a physical store and a web-commerce site selling items from their store stock. The web-commerce site requires maintaining a merchant account, maintaining the web-site (out sourced from what I can see) which can be expensive.

Has anyone visited their Pantip store? It would be interesting to see how they operate.

Hardware house (www.hwhinter.com) is a Thai store, and sells mainly through its many many retail stores, scattered across various IT centers in various provinces. Although most of the site is in Thai, the price lists and the price list link is in English. I'm not offering them as a mail order option (since they don't really do it), but as a place to check real hardware prices online.