DSI Probes Handling Of Temple Finances By Thai Monk's Ex-Wife

webfact

DSI probes handling of temple finances by monk's ex-wife

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_15204.jpg

Phra Pramote Pramocho, who is embroiled in a temple donation scandal, and his ex-wife hold more than Bt40 million in cash and government bonds, mostly in her name, the Department of Special Investigation said yesterday.

The big question now is why Oranuch Santayakorn, who lives as a nun in Suan Santitham, the monastery founded by Phra Pramote, has been allowed to manage the temple's finances virtually single-handedly.

The DSI launched a probe after some of the monk's followers complained that he misused temple donations.

"We're going to contact banks and financial institutions to check if the monk and the nun have other accounts in their names or the names of their close relatives," said Prawit Chaibuadaeng, head of the DSI operations centre in the East.

Suan Santitham is in Chon Buri, an eastern province.

Prawit said the lawyer for Suan Santitham first declared just seven bank accounts but under pressure disclosed the details of 15 more accounts.

"The lawyer has tried to explain that these bank accounts are personal. Donations to those accounts go to the monk, not the monastery," Prawit said.

Major benefactors will be contacted to see if they really wanted to give the money to the monk for his personal use, and not to the monastery.

Narat Sawettanan, deputy director-general of the DSI, said Phra Pramote had just one bank account in his name, while the rest were in Oranuch's name.

He could not comment on why the monk put the money in Oranuch's accounts pending the results of the investigation.

Thitinart na Phatthalung, a famous Dharma author and one of Phra Pramote's former followers who publicly exposed his allegedly suspicious conduct, said some of the monk's followers had made continual threats against her. But that did not bother her until an e-mail arrived on October 11 Monday telling her to watch out for her son's safety.

"I'm worried about my boy, so we're going to stay overseas for awhile," she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-13

Related topic:

Thai Monestary May Have Misused Bt100m In Donations

Worried about son. :whistling: Not worried about a little jail time?

Why would the donor of over 6 million baht to the temple be worried about jail time....she is concerned about her son after recieving a threat on his life which apparently came about because she has blown the whistle on the management of monies donated to the temple

"The big question now is why Oranuch Santayakorn, who lives as a nun in Suan Santitham, the monastery founded by Phra Pramote, has been allowed to manage the temple's finances virtually single-handedly."

Why not? It is a family business.

It's ok. Take robes, shave your head and all is forgiven.

"I'm worried about my boy, so we're going to stay overseas for awhile," she said.I'm pretty sure that she's only making a big big "Tamboon" for a temple in Nowheres-land and all will be fine for her.....:jap: