Beware The Isaan Hypnotists

syd barrett

A sad story this one...100% true..

The girl in the next block has a Norwegian boyfriend, who is back home now, but keeps her well supplied with gold and cash, she is even learning English at school.

Last week on a food break in a cafe, while dining alone, a woman approached her speaking Isaan asking for directions, she sat down next to her and asked various questions and gained her confidence.

The next thing the girl remembers is coming-too, some minutes later, 15-20 minutes and her gold, handbag etc. were missing containing mobile phone, ATM card etc.

She was very disorientated but it got worse when the bank told her that 20,000 baht her daily limit had also been withdrawn, she must have revealed her PIN number to the female robber.

I am certain that this is hypnotism, farangs are safe from it, as fluency in language is needed, but I have warned my TGF about talking to friendly strangers and to be aware of this type of crime, which is very much unreported.

FYI :The language school was on Soi Bukhaew and the eatery nearby.

It is easy to be cynical: loss of gold/cash, followed by a request for more from the altruistic benefactor: ie. farang, but Thai women rarely lie to each other regarding such an unusual robbery.

From what I hear the victim is genuinely upset and disturbed by the incident, fearing for her own sanity, it is after all a kind of 'psychic rape'; when you are mesmerised by a master of the art of hypnotism.

I believe it happened. It must be difficult to explain this crime to Thai police,whom I suspect would offer little understanding, comfort or concern.

I wonder if it comes up on the Pattaya news channel?

It is easy to be cynical: loss of gold/cash,  Yes of course , [/color] but Thai women rarely lie to each other, of course they don't [ /COLOR]s, 

From what I hear the victim is genuinely upset and disturbed by the incident, fearing for her own sanity,  Yeh, Right. it is after all a kind of 'psychic rape'; when you are mesmerised by a master of the art of hypnotism.

A Master of the art of hypnotisom , yeh right

I believe it happened.  Of course you do It must be difficult to explain this crime to Thai police,whom I suspect would offer little understanding,  to right comfort or concern.

I wonder if it comes up on the Pattaya news channel? I'm sure it does

:o

Not impossible but would be hard to believe coming from a typical e-sarn tarot-reader. Case in point Derren Brown's public portrayal of how possible this sort of thing is (British TV) More likely to be a story spun for some other purpose.

I'd believe she was drugged more than the hypnotism aspect.

This is what most probably happened... something slipped into the drink... and she would feel disorientated...

This also is a similar experience that I had, which involved me coming to on a soi in BKK, with my daily limit drawn out... I was quite sure, and so were some friends, that I had been drugged..

totster :o

This is what most probably happened... something slipped into the drink... and she would feel disorientated...

This also is a similar experience that I had, which involved me coming to on a soi in BKK, with my daily limit drawn out... I was quite sure, and so were some friends, that I had been drugged..

totster :D

Too much coke in the Sangsom, Totster?

:o

Too much coke in the Sangsom, Totster?

:D

It's possible.... :o

The girl in the next block has a Norwegian boyfriend, who is back home now, but keeps her well supplied with gold and cash, she is even learning English at school.

Last week on a food break in a cafe, while dining alone, a woman approached her speaking Isaan asking for directions, she sat down next to her and asked various questions and gained her confidence.

The next thing the girl remembers is coming-too, some minutes later, 15-20 minutes and her gold, handbag etc. were missing containing mobile phone, ATM card etc.

She was very disorientated but it got worse when the bank told her that 20,000 baht her daily limit had also been withdrawn, she must have revealed her PIN number to the female robber.

I am certain that this is hypnotism, farangs are safe from it, as fluency in language is needed, but I have warned my TGF about talking to friendly strangers and to be aware of this type of crime, which is very much unreported.

Would just like to say that out of all the crap I've read on thaivisa.com this is right up there with the worst of it. Syd Barrett, if you really do believe in what you have posted, or anyone else for the matter, I can help you locate the whereabouts of a nearby mental home (assuming you do not already belong to one).

fully agree! Often they love gambling. But how to tell I lost everything when gambling?

So some kind of "magic" is comming. Hypnosis from Isaan is a good explanation for Thailand.

By the way she had all her gold on her body?? Looking like a christmas tree :o

But funny is also that a lot of Thai girls have the pin code for the ATM card on a paper together with the ATM card.....

Whilst I wouldn't say its impossible;I would say its unlikely.

I would look at more likely scenarios:covering up big losses at gambling etc.

Edited by h90

Ah let`s see.

ATM withdrawal = 20,000 baht.

Mobile phone = 1,000 baht

Gold lets say 2.5 bt = 20,000 baht

Handbag = 100 baht

Total = 41,100 baht.

Gambling debt. _ 40,000 baht

Money to spend 1,100 baht.

Of course I`m only kidding :o

Would just like to say that out of all the crap I've read on thaivisa.com this is right up there with the worst of it. Syd Barrett, if you really do believe in what you have posted, or anyone else for the matter, I can help you locate the whereabouts of a nearby mental home (assuming you do not already belong to one).

You are all entitled to your opinions. I don't need a mental home yet; thank you, I am just informing you all of something that actually happened.

1. Some posters suggest that it is a scam or excuse to get more money out of her boyfriend. I agree many ways to extract extra funds are used by Thai ladies. However this highly unbelievable story is a very poor excuse. Thai ladies are not dumb, she could have said a burglary or motorcycle snatch etc. anything is better than suggesting that you were hypnotised!

2. The drug theory. I would prefer this theory as well, however there are no fast acting drugs on the CNS that are edible and effective in 5-10 minutes. The only suggestion might be chloroform or ether administered by smothering the respiritory tract. That would remain in the memory after the event.

3. I also suggest that many of you doubting poster's actually don't BELIEVE in hypnotism. It is proven fact that humans, (some are more susceptible than others):can easily be hypnotised.

4. I agree many Thai ladies carry their ATM with the PIN. And that the victim was wearing the gold 'like a Christmas tree'. However she was robbed of possessions without any memory of the event.

5. This original post was meant as a warning to all those who have Thai partners, who should be warned of such dangers of street hypnotism in Pattaya. To all of you (90%) who 'pooh pooh' my post; let us hope that the egg does not land on your face, when your uninformed lady hands over her valuables and perhaps your home keys to one of these street robbers (in kind).

Thank you and goodnight.

The problem probably Syd is that some of us who are a bit long in the tooth have heard all these reasons before why Thai ladies seem to lose so much money especially when the boyfriend is back in his home country.

It does seem strange however that usually for people to fall under hypnosis then three things have to be in place.

1 Intense concentration by the subject

2 Extreme relaxation by the subject.

3 High Suggestibility by the hypnotist.

Now to get all three of these well known `ingredients` to happen in busy Soi Bua Khow whilst the lady is in an eating house during a quick break from her intensive studies would seem to stretch the imagination somewhat even for the naive and gullable don`t you think? :o

The problem probably Syd is that some of us who are a bit long in the tooth have heard all these reasons before why Thai ladies seem to lose so much money especially when the boyfriend is back in his home country.

It does seem strange however that usually for people to fall under hypnosis then three things have to be in place.

1 Intense concentration by the subject

2 Extreme relaxation by the subject.

3 High Suggestibility by the hypnotist.

Now to get all three of these well known `ingredients` to happen in busy Soi Bua Khow whilst the lady is in an eating house during a quick break from her intensive studies would seem to stretch the imagination somewhat even for the naive and gullable don`t you think? :o

May I respond to Pattaya Fox;

Yes, I agree all Thai ladies like extra cash and will come up with ingenious ways of getting (it).

However, my point is this: a story of mysterious street hypnotism is unlikely to wash, with a Norweigian nor a Scot. As I said, she could invent a more likely tale, a snatched handbag for example.

With regards hypnotism:

1. There is no 'intense concentration needed by the subject': simple conversation will do.

2. 'Extreme relaxation' is not needed: just a relaxed mind and unsuspicion of nefarious activity.

3. 'High suggestibility': I agree, the very essence of hypnotism is to alter suddenly, a normal conversation into the common ground and then link to the surreal, so shutting down one half of the brain, and inducing a 'sleep' like state.

As I said before, hypnotism is difficult to believe in, yet we are all hypnotised to a certain degree, during our waking hours.

The human brain is more complex than we know. If you were hypnotised by a professional, you would not know it.

2. The drug theory. I would prefer this theory as well, however there are no fast acting drugs on the CNS that are edible and effective in 5-10 minutes. The only suggestion might be chloroform or ether administered by smothering the respiritory tract. That would remain in the memory after the event.

The drug Rohypenol (not sure re spelling), the 'date rape' drug apparently puts the victim in a state of almost hypnotic trance.

Check out this...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=street+smart

Gambling here is (in my experience) a MASSIVE problem here ..Mine lost approx 300'000 thb in 10 days (info from atm+pawn recipts,prob much more!)and believe me they will tell you anything but the truth about where the all the money has gone.

Like an old saying i've heard on here before:

"If you think a tg is bs'ing,"

"she probabely is."

"With regards (to) hypnotism:

1. There is no 'intense concentration needed by the subject': simple conversation will do.

2. 'Extreme relaxation' is not needed: just a relaxed mind and unsuspicion of nefarious activity.

3. 'High suggestibility': I agree, the very essence of hypnotism is to alter suddenly, a normal conversation into the common ground and then link to the surreal, so shutting down one half of the brain, and inducing a 'sleep' like state.

As I said before, hypnotism is difficult to believe in, yet we are all hypnotised to a certain degree, during our waking hours.

The human brain is more complex than we know. If you were hypnotised by a professional, you would not know it."

Clearly the least informed posting about hypnotism that has ever been written. Reading this claptrap will made you dumber.

Syd; you might be right that hypnosis was what happened. I and others do not believe it.

Meanwhile, your argument that she could just have said it was normal theft does not fit the bill. For our Western way of thinking; yes, but for an un-educated Thai girl it might seem as a perfectable plausable explanation - and hey; YOU believe it! :o so she might be right!

To make the story "mysterious" and "Thai" and a "bit" unbeliveable is actually a very clever move as much harder for your Norway friend to penetrate that kind of mumbo jumbo compared to normal theft (police reports/insurance company Etc. wants FACTS).

Anyway; with most of the great hopnotists(sp?) being from the Western world, how come we do not hear about this stuff every single day back home?

Cheers!

Exerpt from Wall Street Journal Article, July 3, 1995

Dateline Bogota, Colombia

If you thought cocaine was bad news, wait until you hear about Burundanga.

Burundanga is a kind of voodoo powder obtained from a Colombian local

plant of the nightshade family, a shrub called barrachera, or "drunken

binge". Used for hundreds of years by Natie Americans in religious ceremonies,

the powder when ingested causes victims to lose their will and memory, sometimes

for days. (This drug is also known as Nightshade or "CIA drugs).

When refined the powder yields scopolamine, a well-know drug with

legitimate uses as a sedative and to combat motion sickness. (Mengele of

Nazi fame also had and experimented with scopolamine as a truth serum).

But in Colombia, the drug's most avid fans are street criminals. Crooks

mix the powder with sedatives and feed the Burundanga cocktail to unsuspecting

victims whom they then proceed to rob - or worse.

Doctors here estimate that Colombian hustlers slip the odorless,

colorless and soluble Burundanga (pronounced boor-oon-DAN-ga) in food or

drink to about 500 unwitting victims in the city each month. About half of

the city's total emergency room admissions for poison are Burundanga

victims.

"It is a very serious problem," says Fernando Botero, Colombia's defense

minister. Adds Camilo Uribe, the doctor who runs the city's formost toxicology

clinic and who is in charge of toxicology for all of Bogota's public hospitals.

"It's epidemic".

It seems that everyone in Bogota knows someone who has been victimized by

the drug, Burundanguiado, as the say in Spanish. In one common scenario, a

person will be offered a soda or drink laced with the substance. The next

the person remembers is waking up miles away, extremely groggy and with no

memory of what happened. People soon discover that they have handed over

jewelry, money, car keys, and sometimes have even made multiple bank with-

drawals for the benefit of their assailants. Because Burundanga is often

given at seedy bars or houses of prostitution, many victims are reluctant

to come forward.

"The victim can't say no; he has no will and becomes very open to

suggestion. It's like CHEMICAL HYPNOTISM," says Dr. Uribe. "From the

moment it's given, the victim remembers absolutely nothing of what happened."

He adds, "From a criminal point of view, it's got a lot of advantages".

Architect David Neneses says he was Burundanguiado twice in one week

last December. Mr. Meneses' first encounter with Burundanga took place on a

Friday night when he stopped at a pharmacy to buy antacid. Two well-dressed

men approached hes car. Teh last thing Mr. Menses remembers is one of the

men unwrapping a piece of candy. "I woke up the next day at noon at my

house." he says. He had no memory of how he got there, though the doorman in

his building told Mr. Menseses he saw him com in at 7 a.m. looking nervous

and confused.

On Monday, Mr. Meneses checked with his bank, where he was told that

his ATM card made 13 withdrawals for a total of about $700 on that lost

Friday night. Concerned that he might have unwittingly been involved in

criminal activity, or that his car had been used, Mr. Meneses went to the

local prosecutors office where he made a sworn statement saying he wasn't

respon- sible for anything that had happened during the hours he was under

the influence of the drug.

Three days later, the luckless Mr. Meneses noticed that he had a flat

tire. Two men on the street approached him and offered to change it. "I

remember they gave me something to drink, which I can't imagine why I

drank." he says. Police found him asleep in his car six hours later. He had

been robbed of his radio and about $125.

These days, Mr. Meneses is careful to drive with the windows rolled up.

He doesn't venture out much at night anymore. "Burundanga is a very dangerous

weapon in the hands of the underworld" he says.

Not all cases of Burundanga involve theft or robbery. Sometimes victims

have been used as mules to carry cocaine, says Dr. Uribe's brother Manuel, a

neurologist practicing at the clinic. In one incident, says Manuel Uribe, a

well-known Colombian diplomat disappered shortly after leaving a function in

Bogota, only to reappear in Chile under arrest for cocaine smuggling. Medical

tests showed he had been under the influence of Burundanga, and no charges

were filed.

Camilo Uribe said that in a minority of cases Burundanga is used to lure

young women who are then abused sexually. When they are found days later,

they have no memory of what has happened to them. "You see that a lot with

university coeds." he says.

Camilo Uribe is often called by companies and embassies to talk about the

perils of Burundanga. One diplomatic mission that takes the problem very

seriously is the U.S. Embassy. Its orientation manual warns freshman

diplomats never to visit bars or nightclubs alone. "Druggings in group

situations are far less common" the manual says, adding that food and drinks

should never be left unattended. At the Colombian unit of Dow Chemical Co.

(now there's an organization that knows about drugs!) security officials

periodically tell employees how to avoid getting Burundanguiado "There have

been many cases." says Oswaldo Parra, the company's legal officer. "It's a

very common practice in Colombia."

Curiosly, just next door in Ecuador, where the plant is grown commercially

for medical purposes, its criminal use is unknown. Instead, the plant is the

subject of poetry and myth. If one sleeps under the plant in Ecuador, he

will be able to tell the future, legends say.

Here, however, Pedro Gomez Silva, a forensic chemical expert, tells police

cadets that for fear of Burundanga, Colombians shouldn't accept food, drinks

or cigarettes from strangers, nor buy them from street vendors.

What's more, to be on the safe side, Colombians shouldn't help when asked

for directions or the time of day. And forget sidewalk romances. The way things

go with Burundanga, flirting with a stranger could lead to a really lost

weekend.

End article.

so its not just thailand :o