Nearest Long Neck Tribe And Details Please

mallmagician

Hi all

I've got relatives over and they really want to see the long necks.

They didn't seen satisfied with the girafes at the zoo!

where is the nearest long neck tribe to Chiang mai?

Can you give me details how to get there or a Google earth link or coordinates?

Thanks

Phil

When we visited the Tiger Kingdom recently, we saw a sign as we crossed the bridge.

If you go right instead of going left to the Tiger Kingdom.

It is only a 40 minute drive from the night bazzar area, plus up the road to the village.

I remmember on a previous trip 1 couple went to see one, so i guess it was that one, they were back in 1/2 hour. so not too far from Tiger Kingdom.

Hope this helps. :)

There is a hill tribe demonstration village up the Mae Sa Valley highway just before the Mae Sa Elephant Camp. It is called Tong Luang or something like that, is up a soi on the left as you head west on the 1096. Look for some cell phone towers where the road straightens out a bit entering Maemae. Well maintained, yes there is an entrance fee, and yes a zoo from an outside perspective, but seen as an employment opportunity from those living and working there. The owner treats the people well, provides classes for the kids in the afternoon, and the people are free to leave. It is not uncommon to see "long neck" women in the markets in Mae Rim, but they normally wear scarfs around their neck rings so as not to attract too much unwanted attention. Tell the old Karen ladies in the first demo hut just inside the gate that Johpa sends greetings.

When we visited the Tiger Kingdom recently, we saw a sign as we crossed the bridge.

If you go right instead of going left to the Tiger Kingdom.

It is only a 40 minute drive from the night bazzar area, plus up the road to the village.

I remmember on a previous trip 1 couple went to see one, so i guess it was that one, they were back in 1/2 hour. so not too far from Tiger Kingdom.

Hope this helps. :)

The fact that they were back in only half an hour might be very telling!

The Long Neck situation always attracts strong "zoo" criticism, which is most understandable.

However, I invite people to consider the remarks of well known tourism guru Vincent Tabateau at an international conference a few years ago, when asked about the Long Necks 'on display' in Mae Hong Son near the Burma border:

"They have a war going on behind them, where they came from, and a country in front of them (Thailand) that doesn't want them. To stay where they are in peace, and get paid to have their photos taken, is a fairly good option."