Questions Abt Uk Tourist Visa

got a few questions im hoping sum one can help with

1) we applied for visa last thursday,got the sms message late today to say it will b couried to my gf office tom,should i read into anything of how quick it seemed to have taken as its our first visa

2) on our visa application we put my gf was staying for 12 days as she had to go back to work,but totally out the blue today she was informed that she might be let go,as the company making cuts,moving

to signapore.if our visa is accepted and she wanted to stay longer as she might not have job how will this be seen by the eco? i know its a 6 month visa but would we have to inform anyone that she would stay longer as i wouldnt want any problems in the future appling for another visa

1. Impossible to judge outcome of applications based on decision time.

2. No need to inform anyone if she intends to stay longer than the quoted 12 days. She would be able to remain in the UK until the expiry date on her visa.

Given the news of potential redundancy came after you made your application (and it was decided, it seems), there should not be a problem (including any credibility issues for future applications).

Edited by bangkockney

A change of circumstances has occurred I'm sure the company will give your partner this in writing to confirm this ?

If the applicant was to stay longer than she originally applied for then it should be explained in any future visit visa applications.

Regards Paul

I agree with the advice given in the earlier replies with a small caveat.

Without being alarmist just bear in mind that entry clearance doesn't automatically guarantee admission into the UK, she could possibly be questioned by the IO at the Port of Entry about the purpose and length of her stay.

As your girlfriend has been made redundant this is a material change since the application was made and if she encountered a bloody minded IO, which I doubt, she could possibly have a problem.

I agree with the advice given by others but she needs to be ready with her answers, if I were in her position I wouldn't be offering the information that I had just lost my job so will be staying for longer than in my initial application.

As say I am not trying to be alarmist but just be ready for any difficult questions.

Lads

Just got the good news,visa was granted

I wanna say thks to everyone who helped me with my all my questions in getting the visa much appreciated

Annnick

I think that the post by The Old Git is relevant. The fact that you now have the visa does not change the fact that you can still be refused entry to UK if there has been a material change of circumstances. To put it in simple terms, a visa can be " cancelled " at the port of entry to the UK if the IO believes that the change of circumstances is so material that it removes the basis of the visa, or, more correctly, the basis for the issue of the visa. Consider this example - a wife is granted a visa to join her husband in the UK. Between the visa being issued and her arival in the UK, the husband dies. Is this change so material that it removes the basis for the issue of the visa ? Of course it is.

In this current query, it really depends on whether the fact that the applicant had a job to return was the sole, or deciding facror for the issue of the visa, ie. was this the basis of her reason to return to Thailand. If it was, then the IO in UK might consider the change of circumstances so material that the basis for the issue of the visa had been removed. If the ECO took several other factors into consideration when issuing the visa, then the change might not be so material. We don't know what the applicant produced to the ECO, nor do we know what the ECO took into consideration.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to send an email or letter to the Visa section explaining what has happened, and enclosing proof that you might have lost your job. Explain to the Visa Section that you are giving them this information as an act of good faith, to show that there is no intent to deceive on your part, and further explaining that you might now stay longer than the 12 days you stated but will return to Thailand before the visa expires. If the Embassy contacts you to inform you that the visa is cancelled, then so be it. If they don't contact you, but you are questioned by the IO in UK, you can at least show evidence that you informed the Embassy and that there was no attempt on your part to decieve. You may choose not to inform anyone, that is your choice. But, there have been occasions where employers have themselves informed the Embassy when staff have been sacked or laid off. If this happens then you will have a big problem. You will be either be stopped from boarding at the airport, or refused entry to UK, and it will be difficult to show that you did not mean to deceive. Any such deception may not be strictly relevant to a refusal on change of circumstances, but it may adversely affect any future applications.

You say that "totally out the blue today she was informed that she might be let go,as the company making cuts..." so its not definite and she's only been informed after her visa application.

I agree with the advice given, drop the visa section an email or letter along the lines of:

"We would like to bring to your attention the fact that Miss xxxx was only informed yesterday, 13 October 2010, by her employer, YYYY Ltd, that there is a possiblility that she may lose her job on the grounds that, due to the current economic climate, the company may relocate to Singapore. At this stage this is merely a "possibility".

We are giving this information as an act of good faith, to show that there is no intent to deceive on our part. Should Miss xxxx lose her job then we may consider extending her stay in the UK though obviously no decision has been made at this stage. However we would like to stress that regardless of any job loss, she will return to Thailand before her visa expires and whilst in the UK she will be actively looking for a new job in Thailand via the internet should the need arise. But at this stage it is merely a possibility that she may lose her job and as such we see no reason why Miss xxxx should not continue with her planned 12 day holiday."

If in the application you have used other evidence to show that your gf has reason to return to Thailand, eg owns land, has a child etc, state that in the letter as well so that it shows that her job was not the sole reason for returning to Thailand.

Include a letter from her employer stating the possibility of job losses if available

Ensure that your gf carries a copy of the letter/email with her in case it's required at UK immigration

Alternatively if she's travelling in the next few days & no firm decision has been taken on her job you could keep quiet, see what happens & if she does lose her job you'd be correct in stating that the company's decision was made whilst your gf was in the UK! Depends on timescale I guess

Personally I'd play safe & advise the Visa section....

Good luck

Given she has not yet been made redundant, there is no real argument for informing the visa section. It's all mere speculation. And you are not obligated to tell them either as when you submitted and paid for your application - the date that everything is judged by - there was no threat of redundancy.

Personally, I would stay schtum, especially as you have already been issued your visa. If you submitted little else in way of showing intention to return other than a letter from her employer, telling the visa section she may be made redundant could lead to them reviewing their decision to issue the visa.

No IO will call back to Thailand to check details with your employer.

The time to explain the redundancy - if it happens - and any extension of your trip in the UK would be if/when you make subsequent visa applications in the future.

If she IS made redundant before flying to the UK, informing the Visa Section may well be a good idea, but as it stands she is currently still employed.

Given she has not yet been made redundant, there is no real argument for informing the visa section. It's all mere speculation. And you are not obligated to tell them either as when you submitted and paid for your application - the date that everything is judged by - there was no threat of redundancy.

I agree that there is no need to take any action until and unless she is made redundant.

However, although the application is judged on the evidence submitted, to say that the date of submission is the date everything is judged by is not right. If there is a change of circumstances between submitting the application and receiving the visa, then the embassy should be informed. If there is a change of circumstances between receiving the visa and entering the UK, then the UKBA should be informed. Whether or not the change means that the visa is no longer valid depends upon the individual circumstances; but not informing anyone could mean that the person has used deception to enter the UK, with serious consequences if discovered.