To Be Or Not To Be Legal - Marriage

a2396

One thing not mentioned by the posters is that it is sooooo much easier getting a visa for your wife to travel abroad than it is for a g/f.

if your wife comes from nana , then maybe.otherwise, <deleted>....i know countless thai women who get visas easily and quickly, purely by their own merits satisfying immigration regulations.

One thing not mentioned by the posters is that it is sooooo much easier getting a visa for your wife to travel abroad than it is for a g/f.

if your wife comes from nana , then maybe.otherwise, <deleted>....i know countless thai women who get visas easily and quickly, purely by their own merits satisfying immigration regulations.

never have a problem getting visa for thai ladies visiting the uk.

You trolling again uncle paul?

You have already tried the wind up in your other thread saying we are all deadbeats because we have Thai wives, now your saying you never have problems getting Thai women into the U.K How MANY have you had in the U.K?

Does this make you a deadbeat as well? :o

You trolling again uncle paul?

You have already tried the wind up in your other thread saying we are all deadbeats because we have Thai wives, now your saying you never have problems getting Thai women into the U.K How MANY have you had in the U.K?

Does this make you a deadbeat as well? :o

i think we have had at least 15 visit us! two have gone home today and are very useful. one works for ministry of labour and is a high up in the area of work permits for foreign workers :D another hands out state funds to tambons etc. you gotta chose your friends :D

[

Well a2396 i am legally married to my Thai wife in the UK and she is not bothered about getting married again in Thailand. I have known my wife for 12 years and we have been married for 5 of them, and our son will be 1 year old next week.

I was married before in the UK and I divorced my UK wife to marry my Thai wife.

I married for love and not for any advantages to be able to live in Thailand and in fact I am financially worse off than if I had stayed married to my UK wife. On the other hand I have been a lot happier in the last few years than I could have hoped.

My wife has no desire to live in the UK or wants a UK passport as she is Thai through and through. The only thing she has asked me for is a UK passport for our son so that he will be able to have dual nationality and I think that this is a good idea.

My wife owns the land, house, property, car etc and I own the clothes I have and a few more things and I have no problems with that at all.

I did not go "blindly" into marriage and thought long and hard before I asked her to marry me. She did not ask me to marry her and was quite happy to be together but I felt that as I love her it would be better if we were married as when I die she will be financially secure as she will be entitled to a portion of my pensions until she dies.

I am working at the moment to provide funds for the future of our family.

If my wife decided that she could not live with me any longer I would not regret a minute of the time we have spent together.

The second best thing that has happened to me in the last few years was marrying Nee and the best thing was the birth of our son.

She speaks better English than I speak Thai and keeps me on the straight and narrow and looks after our money far better than I ever did.

I thank Buddha every day for my good luck.

The only economic advantage to me in our marriage is that now I have money to spend if I need to because she will not let me waste it as I did before.

Marry for love and enjoy it.

Marry for any other reason and regret it.

:D:D

Sounds like my wife has a twin. Thanks for shareing, I get tired of hearing about all of this gold digging Thai women. I was thinking my wife was stange or something.:o

Sounds like my wife has a twin.  Thanks for shareing, I get tired of hearing about all of this gold digging Thai women. I was thinking my wife was stange or something.:o

Dakhar

No your wife is not strange at all. At least 6 of my friends are married and all of their friends are friends of my wife and they have known each other for many years even before we came along. One of her friends was married to a Thai and has a daughter. He used to beat her so she left him and went all over Thailand until she came to live with us and she is welcome to stay with her daughter as long as she likes.

I would not say that her husband is typical of all Thai husbands as many of my friends are Thai as well.

His behaviour is similar to a small percentage of men all over the world.

Edited by billd766

Whilst I believe in regestering marriage myself, I don't think there is paricularly any advantage if you live in Thailand. However in my case I felt it important in that when I die my wife and any children will get up to 100% of my current UK pension if we are still married. An important consideration in order to secure my wife's future. If I were not married the money would go back into the Company pension fund. :o

Whilst I believe in regestering marriage myself, I don't think there is paricularly any advantage if you live in Thailand. However in my case I felt it important in that when I die my wife and any children will get up to 100% of my current UK pension if we are still married. An important consideration in order to secure my wife's future. If I were not married the money would go back into the Company pension fund. :D

So did I. However I am not married and have just a cohabitation agreement with mij Thai woman, she gets my pension when I die. Also her daughter gets pension until she is 18.

In Holland it is not necessary to marry. Living together for more than 6 months and having a cohabitation agreement is enough to get the man's pension after he died.

:o

1) Economic w/ regards to visa

2) Land ownership

How to solve these issues without being marrried

You could have a child with a Thai. Then maybe you can then get a visa extension to stay to support the child? And maybe you can purchase land in the child's name?

I don't need to be married to have a visa to stay in Thailand. I have a retirement visa already renewable year by year, as I believe is the marriage visa. I would like to place ultimate trust in my "traditional wife", but I am not reassured by what I have seen with her and the family's behavior regarding money and the various requests for such - demanding cash "on-the-barrelhead" at the first of each month, etc,etc.

I do not plan to take her to my country (USA) to live or visit anytime soon. Legal marriage would almost be a necessity if I had such plans, since tourist visa's are rarely granted to single Thai women, particularly if they are of working age.

I have a lot of conflicting information regarding property ownership if you are married to a Thai. One person told me that the law was recently changed and that the foreign spouse can jointly own a house (not a condo). I will be consulting a lawer to get the oorrect answer to this and other questions I have. I have no problem with providing my wife with financial security for the future. I have a problem with with the whole extended family wanting to get on board for a lifetime annuity program for them and thier children, compounded by the aparent inability of my wife to say no to them.

For all you generous gents, who are making milti-million bhat donations to all-comers: good luck. I am sure you will be rewarded in the next life.

I don't need to be married to have a visa to stay in Thailand. I have a retirement visa already renewable year by year, as I believe is the marriage visa. I would like to place ultimate trust in my "traditional wife", but I am not reassured by what I have seen with her and the family's behavior regarding money and the various requests for such - demanding cash "on-the-barrelhead" at the first of each month, etc,etc.

I do not plan to take her to my country (USA) to live or visit anytime soon. Legal marriage would almost be a necessity if I had such plans, since tourist visa's are rarely granted to single Thai women, particularly if they are of working age.

I have a lot of conflicting information regarding property ownership if you are married to a Thai. One person told me that the law was recently changed and that the foreign spouse can jointly own a house (not a condo). I will be consulting a lawer to get the oorrect answer to this and other questions I have. I have no problem with providing my wife with financial security for the future. I have a problem with with the whole extended family wanting to get on board for a lifetime annuity program for them and thier children, compounded by the aparent inability of my wife to say no to them.

For all you generous gents, who are making milti-million bhat donations to all-comers: good luck. I am sure you will be rewarded in the next life.

What difference will getting your marriage registered make to the family of scroungers? In my case it hasn't changed a bit, they still scrounged before I got married!

Regret the Thai Government does not make such sudden changes to the Property Laws. If they are considering changes, everyone will hear about them a couple of years in advance, even if they then never happen. :o

I talked to a lawer yesterday in Bangkok and he said that foreigners can NOT own land in Thailand. Condo yes. One can obtain from the wife a 30 year lease to have rights to live in a house, but I am sure that would be not worth much if things go sour. Aparently the assets acquired during the marriage are generally considered a 50-50 split, but again this could be quite a contentious mess if one party were to want more. Most likely this will be the Thai wife and I assume this would be up to a Thai judge to decide. Sound like fun??

foreigners can NOT own land in Thailand. Condo yes.

That's correct. Thai people do not want foreigners having any stakes in their holy dirt. If the place is high up in a building, away from the blessed Thai earth, then it's even better.

What would happen if a foreigner owned land here? Well, I doubt if they'd build a bunch of slummy tin shacks or make it into a garbage heap! Might be good if foreigners owned land here; it'd be alot cleaner. :o

You could have a child with a Thai. Then maybe you can then get a visa extension to stay to support the child? And maybe you can purchase land in the child's name?

OMG - I hope you are not serious... :D

totster :D

Well, it's certainly cheaper and easier (and a whole lot more fun) than setting up a company, but does require a bit more advance planning :D

I'm not too sure about putting the land in the kids name though. Can a baby own land? And assuming neither the wife or the kid is made aware of it then it should be relatively safe, yes? What would my parental rights be anyway? Do farang fathers have any? Being male is a plus, I'm guessing, but I'm also farang, which is probably a minus, so maybe they just cancel each other out? Anyone know the laws on this?

As a bonus, assuming Thailand's infatuation with half-breeds continues, when the kid is older they might become a singer or movie star. Then when you sell them out to Breeze or Ovaltine or M-150 you could make a mint! :o

Edited by fxm88

I believe she can "rip your b8lls out" if she wants to since you are in her country.  :o

Someone told me it's a lot of hassle getting a divorce here.

If there are no children involved, then you go to the Amphur, pay a fee (I think it is 500 baht) and sign the form. You are then divorced - no waiting period.

At least that is how it was when my ex-wife got divorced from her first husband before she and I got married. We got married in Australia, and when we divorced it was a pain in the ar5e - a year's wait...but again no children so it was not as bad as if there had been some.

I can see why the OP is asking the question, and I guess maybe some are reacting in a predicatble way - but I can also see the point - if he and his other half are happy the way they ae, and getting legally married would cause real problems from a legal point of view (no, we know it doesn't but that is the point of asking) then it is fair to ask the question first before jumping into a potential problem.

My wife and I married legally at the Amphur, we now have children, and apart from the usual problems one has anywhere when supporting a wife and kids, it is the same as being married anywhere else.