Cheapest Way To Set Up A Company

I have already set up a company to trade in a travel related business but I now want to set up two domain names. I understand that I can only set up domain names in the same name as or similar to a registered company name.

I don't want to change the company name so if I set up 2 new very basic companies so I can get the domain names how much is it going to cost me or is there another way.

<deleted>. Where did you get this information? Where are you located?

AFAIK You can register any domain name you like (certainly in the UK) as long as it's not profane and nobody else has it, why should you need to set up a company?

Neither of my domains (crossy.co.uk and ritjim.co.uk) have any companies associated.

Edited by Crossy

thats for co.uk, not for the co.th.

First time i came to thailand i was just messing around looking at thai domain names, and noticed that there is tons of domains available... I thought to myself, maybe i'll buy up loads of thai domains, such as: pizzahut.co.th, and stuff like that and then make a killing when pizzahut needs to buy it off me....

Then i read the thai domain requirements, and in order to own a co.th you must have a registered business with that same name.... (weird i know)

So mate if you want a bunch of domains just buy .com theres no restrictions there, forget about .co.th its a bunch of weird regulations to deal with.

Some country extensions for domain name requires that you own a company with the same name before registering a domain name. The company registration is used as identification to register the domain name. It's kind of silly but still a few European countries have that rule, and sometimes it doesn't stop at the country extension but also with the .com and .net extension

a few years ago, a smart guy registered bangkokpost.com or some other famous thai name. He got sued and the domain name was returned to the BangkokPost. Even if you register in a foreigner country for a domain name in another foreigner country, you can get sued or have an order from a judge to return the domain name. Then depending how nice your "registrar" is, he will comply with the court order.

I understand that I can only set up domain names in the same name as or similar to a registered company name.

As ave111223 said, this requirement is only for .co.th domains. No requirements for registering .com/.org/.net domains in Thailand.

Registering (and mainteining) a company, just for the sake of being eligible to a .co.th domain?! Finding an available .com alternative will be easier.

Edited by ~G~

He or she may be referring to the new .travel TLD domains coming out, to be registered with Tralliance. ICAAN recently gave them the authority to do this. (Funny thing is, TheGlobe from back during the internet boom, exercised their option to purchase them the same day they were selected.)

Tralliance is preparing for pre-authentication of applicants for ".travel" domain names to commence soemtime soon, and for a limited launch of ".travel" registrations around September 2005, as prescribed by ICANN.

For more info see tralliance.com, if their awful site works for you.

Some country extensions for domain name requires that you own a company with the same name before registering a domain name. The company registration is used as identification to register the domain name. It's kind of silly but still a few European countries have that rule

What's silly about it? It stops domain squatting and extortion, and the ridiculous "business" of setting up hundreds of mirror sites, directories of rubbish, sites containing a million pages of babble that no human will ever read, etc. It brings some kind of order and meaning back to the internet. It's also a first step towards establishing credibility of online businesses with consumers. Those who want to create genuine information-only or hobby sites can continue to do their stuff under the "open" suffixes.

Of course it doesn't suit the blackhat SEOs...

I have already set up a company to trade in a travel related business but I now want to set up two domain names. I understand that I can only set up domain names in the same name as or similar to a registered company name.

I don't want to change the company name so if I set up 2 new very basic companies so I can get the domain names how much is it going to cost me or is there another way.

Given that Thailand has a healthy blatant disregard of the word copyright , i find it astonishing that that the domain names for .co.th are controlled in this way here.

Every where else you can have what you like.

In the UK a competitor of a business that I ran registered my companies tradin name as domain names for .co.uk and .com and had them point to his website for 2 years before the legal process stopped it happening. Mind you this was in 1997, theft of intelectual property via the internet was virtually unheard of then.