Anyone Know Where A Reliable Doctor Is For Blood Work?

Tokay

I usually don't use Memorial Hospital other than for minor things, getting sleeping pills and such. However, based on their pamphlets in their lobby regarding Diabetes, I figured they would know something about it. That was a silly assumption.

With their own pamphlet in hand, I had to speak to THREE different staff working in there before one of them knew what to do. Finally, they found someone who knew what to do, so I reluctantly gave my blood and returned an hour later for one of the most ridiculous discussions with the "doctor" that I've ever had here, and I've had some doozies over the years, including one at a clinic where they were selling a "cure all" that would fully cure everything from cancer to HIV. Yea, they really were trying to sell this.

My blood sugar was fine as it turns out, assuming they didn't mix my blood up with someone else's, but I know there is something wrong with me and I was trying to discuss my symptoms with him, and he just kept cutting me off and would say, "Falang are too fat. You need to exercise more." This clown would not listen to a word I was saying and just kept saying that, over and over. He would not entertain any idea of other tests or reasons for my symptoms, just that we're all too fat and don't exercise enough. I won't dispute that, but there is a reason I was at the hospital in the first place, and my symptoms are worrying me. However, the beauty of today's trip to the hospital is that they forgot to charge me for actually seeing the doctor AND for the blood/sugar test, and only charged me for a re-fill on my Stilnox sleeping pills. Score! :lol:

Anyway... has anyone had any serious blood work done or a detailed check-up here by someone actually qualified or by someone who will take 1 min to look further into your systems and help find the problem?

I'm sure there is someone at BKK-Pattaya hospital, but that place is a clip joint these days and I'd rather go see someone recommended rather than trying to find someone who may take me on a ride.

Thanks.

I've only used the dental hospital at PIH, but so far, it has been great. Another option is Queen Sikirit in Sattahip or head up to the one north...can't remember the name, but do a search here on TV and there are a few threads discussing this....

if you want reliable blood tests with comparisons v. the norm and recorded in a professional booklet try Lifecare Laboratory (tel 086 488048 or 081 481 7180) on 247/59 Moo 10, 3rd Road, Sth Pattaya. Look for the sign on the lamp-post at soi end. Any blood test individiually available and priced. I use a package of 15 tests for B500 (promotion currently of 20 tests for B999). i go annually and results are seemingly reliable. Go about 0730 with urine sample, no food or drink since midnight the night before and give blood sample at the office. Results back in a few hours normally.

Maybe try the Swiss Dr. Olivier in Soi Day-Night. Not as cheap as the clinics, but not as expensive as the hospitals either. European attitude, i.e. a partnership with the patient, not the Godlike attitude of some Thai doctors.

Edited by Phil Conners

Pattaya international is relatively cheap. If you know what results you are looking for & know how to read the results tell them you don't need to see the DR. (saves 600)baht & you can skip the 160 nurse charge for weighing you & taking your blood pressure. I have been doing the same in the U.S. since 1990 & in Thailand for 6years. Cost is 385 baht or so for a basic alt ast blood workup.

• 1 month later...

Pattaya international is relatively cheap. If you know what results you are looking for & know how to read the results tell them you don't need to see the DR. (saves 600)baht & you can skip the 160 nurse charge for weighing you & taking your blood pressure. I have been doing the same in the U.S. since 1990 & in Thailand for 6years. Cost is 385 baht or so for a basic alt ast blood workup.

[/quote}

Quick update. Went to Pattaya Int'l today. I just wanted to know my cholesterol. It was 320B, including weighing and blood pressure. Got there at 7:30 and the place was empty. Took 20 minutes to get the results.

if you want reliable blood tests with comparisons v. the norm and recorded in a professional booklet try Lifecare Laboratory (tel 086 488048 or 081 481 7180) on 247/59 Moo 10, 3rd Road, Sth Pattaya. Look for the sign on the lamp-post at soi end. Any blood test individiually available and priced. I use a package of 15 tests for B500 (promotion currently of 20 tests for B999). i go annually and results are seemingly reliable. Go about 0730 with urine sample, no food or drink since midnight the night before and give blood sample at the office. Results back in a few hours normally.

I have also used LifeCare LAbs and have sent many friends there..He is a trained technician and at 500 baht he gives you a good set of necessary tests. I think a yearly physical at one of the big hospitals during their promotions is a good idea and I would use Lifecare to follow up maybe every 4-6 months if you have any readings that are out of the normal range so you can keep an eye on things like cholesterol and blood sugar