Elections All Bars To Close

jdee

I've always been under the impression that Thai bars were for locals only. Not that they will stop you from entering, but you won't be the most wlecome guy around. by the other male customers.

well, some people do want the authentic thai experience.

Authentic? Bloody hel_l if you walked into a pub in small town Scotland on a Friday night the karaoke would be just as bad if not worse than Thailand. Added to which the locals could be even more hostile and who could blame them eh? Rich out of towner out to nick my GF.......outside the lot of you!!

:D

And don't ya love hearing a drunk Scott singing Karaoke. :burp: They all think their Pavarotti. :drunk:And yes,they are easily upset if they do not win. :passifier:

Edit: And they are difficult to understand when drunk, or at the best of times.

Yep that's real authenticity for ya. The truth is out there as we know but best avoided in this case. ;)

EDIT: The third Proclaimer that's me. B)

Edited by smokie36

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a nice weekend last weekend on Samui. Bought my beer at Tops and stashed them in the minibar fridge. Relaxed on the beach or on the balcony with nice icy cold San Miguel Pale Pilsen. The place was real quiet and service in restaurants was exceptionally fast. Funny watching people sitting down and opening a menu but on being told there was no alcohol available, they got up and left. Where did they go then? Burger King?

I may be back the weekend of the 30th.

I had a nice weekend last weekend on Samui. Bought my beer at Tops and stashed them in the minibar fridge. Relaxed on the beach or on the balcony with nice icy cold San Miguel Pale Pilsen. The place was real quiet and service in restaurants was exceptionally fast. Funny watching people sitting down and opening a menu but on being told there was no alcohol available, they got up and left. Where did they go then? Burger King?

trouble is many tourists dont know the place works on ' Double Standards ' , IE if they are told it is a ' dry ' weekend, they presume EVERYWHERE wont sell it as the ' law ' states no where can sell, but little did they know all mom and pop stores sell , as well as the bigger supermarkets ( even those they shouldnt )

trouble is many tourists dont know the place works on ' Double Standards ' , IE if they are told it is a ' dry ' weekend, they presume EVERYWHERE wont sell it as the ' law ' states no where can sell, but little did they know all mom and pop stores sell , as well as the bigger supermarkets ( even those they shouldnt )

And most places on the beach.....and all the tourist hotel bars and Poorsucker and on and on.....

put me squarely into the category that votes with my baht, considering i can't vote with anything else. i've walked out of strip clubs in vegas that only sold budweiser and i've walked out of restaurants in samui that don't sell alcohol.

fact is there are plenty of thai owned bars run for tourists to go to,if you want to to go to thai owned bars run for for thais see how welcome you are on entering,unless you go with thai customers.The fact is tourists will only frequent bars that look farang friendly.Like looks for like.Amen.

I've always been under the impression that Thai bars were for locals only. Not that they will stop you from entering, but you won't be the most wlecome guy around. by the other male customers.

Correct.

thai owned bars for thais only,is n't that what i said,however there are thai owned bars for farangs,check out banrak,viz bar,cosmic,up to you bar,all thai owned where farang go.

• 7 months later...

Thank You

Amazing post from the OP. Poor farang bar owner can't make money. It's their country , their rules. It's not all about farangs & drinking. What about workers that have to vote? They might have to travel.

Are you for real?

just in case you live in a bubble, Koh Samui is supposed to be a tourist and holiday destination, to most westerners that means going out and enjoying your holiday in any way that suits

them, so closing entertainment venues is anti productive.

you are correct in noticing "it's their country" but explain this to me, Thailand is supposed to have a democratic democracy!

ok so why dictate to the few people on Samui who can actually vote to refrain from alcohol?

do the powers that be think that banning beer bars from opening will give the voter a clearer reflection on who to vote for? or do they believe that the

voting people are so stupid they believe there is a need to act like big brother.

Just about every bar I know of that is farang owned can not vote, and majority of the staff are not from suratthani.

another thing that you fail to understand is that there are few Bars that actually generate any form of substantial profit, most farang bar owners work their butt off

to maintain enough money to remain here in this great place rather than go back to Europe or Australia.

Bar owners and Establishments with sense, would know and allow for national days .Do you honestly think all tourists are affected by not being able to buy a drink in a bar for a couple of days ? What gives you the impression that they all come here to drink everyday?

But as it seems, the ones that always moan are the ones with no business sense and desperates and there are a few here.If they are that hard up, go home and get a job

Next will be religious days. Are they also a major inconvenience? Should they be abolished to accommodate the oh so generous and benevolent few moaners?

You are basically saying that because it's a tourist destination, national laws don't apply .

You are an idiot. I just spent a year preparing my vacation, and now it's f***ed.

I just spent a year preparing my vacation, and now it's f***ed.

Sorry to hear your vacation last October will not work out well.

Or are you talking about the elections for next month .... as I have not yet heard what dates officially we will be bar-less.:D

You are an idiot. I just spent a year preparing my vacation, and now it's f***ed.

You were going on vacation last October? Time travel has arrived.

I think he means he has spent time planning his holiday and will be in Thailand on the dates the bars are closed, maybe not such a bad thing for people living here but if you only have two weeks holiday and 5 or 6 days the bars are closed, its not ideal...show the man some compassion........hey as this is the Samui thread, just had an idea, as the bars are closed he could always go on a timeshare presentation to fill the time :D:lol:

Firstly DO NOT call any other member an idiot. The only reason that post is still here is because it carried on too far.

Perhaps if you keep abreast with general travel warnings & a country's situation in general, you might have picked up that an Election is in the pipeline.

Most hotels, still serve, if not having a beer is the end of the world, well what can I say.

Firstly DO NOT call any other member an idiot. The only reason that post is still here is because it carried on too far.

Perhaps if you keep abreast with general travel warnings & a country's situation in general, you might have picked up that an Election is in the pipeline.

Most hotels, still serve, if not having a beer is the end of the world, well what can I say.

drink Lao Koa and cheap whiskey with all the other Thai's on that day :whistling:

Are bars closing or just stop serving alchole. Can u still get a spit roast +n the side of the road

as far as i am aware , you can still get spit roast Big C..... but what will you wife and Mai Noi say to this, or are they off voting :whistling:

Roo i would imagine most people had holidays booked before election was announced, so it is a blow and most would probably have chosen to go eleswhere.

same same old"bars closed/election being held.annoying for tourists and travellers...............oh well there's alternative countries to go to,like,laos,cambodia,vietnam,indonesia,all much more popular than thailand these days

anoying thing is many little Thai bars will be open and serving beer, example if you come out your drive and turn left you will get a beer in 5 mins. they will however be patrolling up and down chaweng road to make shore farnags dont drink. makes the country look complete idiots where the people cannot be trusted to stay sober to cast there votes. suprised your still there having seen the options. not are they more popular and more advanced having over taken Thailand.

Well, Thailand is not the only country that closes bars on Election day, Canada does too, eh! :o

In British Columbia you cannot even legally take alcohol to the beach or public areas... :wacko: speak about draconian laws... :whistling:

I am sure booze won't be that hard to find.... but put the kettle on just in case! :D

same same old"bars closed/election being held.annoying for tourists and travellers...............oh well there's alternative countries to go to,like,laos,cambodia,vietnam,indonesia,all much more popular than thailand these days

Does anyone know if the bars are closed or just alchole restrictions.

As for people that have already booked their tickets. Please don't tell me they come all the way out here just to drink for 5 days non stop.

Anyway at least they are having the elections in the low season. they have to be done. The problem is i hope that the people who lose the election can bit their lips and carry on business as usual> i hope this old polictical conflict does not spirial again after.

if u r about to book a ticket u r better off being here now rarther than after. Assuming that that is a possible outcome.

If u need something to do while the bars are shut. try a massage or going down the beach or find something to do. u might find u new self in u that does not need drink.

join a gym put some year back in you.

for example when i gave up drink i started fighting.

best move i ever made .)

First I will say who do you think you are farang, coming to another country as a guets and demandt the laws in this country shall be changed because you have a drinking problem. Many countries in Europe have the same rules during a voting periode.

Here we talk about bars closed for 6 days, but you can do anything else but drinking. And if you are smart, and I supose you are, you can go to any shops who sales alcohol the day before and by as much as you can drink. Cheers.

First I will say who do you think you are farang, coming to another country as a guets and demandt the laws in this country shall be changed because you have a drinking problem. Many countries in Europe have the same rules during a voting periode.

Here we talk about bars closed for 6 days, but you can do anything else but drinking. And if you are smart, and I supose you are, you can go to any shops who sales alcohol the day before and by as much as you can drink. Cheers.

Mr Wolf,

generally speaking its not about the main populas not being able to survive without a drink. You've completely missed the point.

its all about the economics of closures like these. Its actually a tourist island. ;) People usually like to enjoy themselves when on holiday (although i'm not sure that the french do) and don't really understand the concept of prohibition whilst on vacation. The island survives off tourism. Without it the place is finished.

Thats it really. how mant times has this topic been discussed?

Mr Wolf,

generally speaking its not about the main populas not being able to survive without a drink. You've completely missed the point.

its all about the economics of closures like these. Its actually a tourist island. ;) People usually like to enjoy themselves when on holiday (although i'm not sure that the french do) and don't really understand the concept of prohibition whilst on vacation. The island survives off tourism. Without it the place is finished.

Thats it really. how mant times has this topic been discussed?

election related threads as well as time share threads seem to pop up every month and probably should be pinned just so that we can focus our efforts in the same place each month without having to search for the right place to vent.

this is a tourist island for sure. no thai's would live here unless they were born here, if it weren't for the tourists. regardless of country, this is misguided legislation at best and needs to go.

Yawn...

Boozy expats just stock up from 7 or wherever you get your daily fix from.

Tourists will still be able to get a beer by the pool or resort,maybe just in a glass or similar to not look like beer.

Main bars will be closed as always over the election.

Argue away wont change a thing, still better here more relaxed and easy going than most countries in my experience.

Well, Thailand is not the only country that closes bars on Election day, Canada does too, eh! :o

In British Columbia you cannot even legally take alcohol to the beach or public areas... :wacko: speak about draconian laws... :whistling:

I am sure booze won't be that hard to find.... but put the kettle on just in case! :D

add to the booze and beach most of the USA, all of florida except cape canaveral as that fedral law not state!!!!!!!! sounds about Thai logic that one. plus all booze has to kept in the trunk of the car. think i can mangae with a brew and no beer for a few days anyway so kettle on.

yeah but who in there right mind goes to Canada for a vacation :D

I am not sure that I understand the problem from a tourist point of view.

For sure - all bar owners will take a hit. It's a bummmer but who said that life was fair?

Tourists will not have a problem getting a drink in a restaurant or hotel most of the time.

I bet you all 1 baht that there will be at least one bar selling beer on the days when they are not supposed to. It has happened during EVERY election that has been held in all of the years that I have been in Thailand. OK, the door might be closed or the beer might be in a Nescafe mug.

It certainly isn't a good time to hold the Thai Visa (Samui chapter) pub crawl :whistling:

I am not sure that I understand the problem from a tourist point of view.

For sure - all bar owners will take a hit. It's a bummmer but who said that life was fair?

Tourists will not have a problem getting a drink in a restaurant or hotel most of the time.

I bet you all 1 baht that there will be at least one bar selling beer on the days when they are not supposed to. It has happened during EVERY election that has been held in all of the years that I have been in Thailand. OK, the door might be closed or the beer might be in a Nescafe mug.

It certainly isn't a good time to hold the Thai Visa (Samui chapter) pub crawl :whistling:

Its not really about whats fair though is it when you look at this from a young tourists perspective. They want to go out drinking and meeting the girls as you would expect and they sure as hell won't come back when they have just seen the place mostly closed down and turned into a ghost town.

After the very understandedly bad press this place is getting in the UK at the moment it certainly does'nt need to cause itself more problems...but then again, maybe "som nom na" and let them get on with it.

As far as i'm concerned its paradice lost anyway. The horse has bolted and it ain't coming back...:whistling: