Uk Telephones - Will They Work Here?

mr_lob

Just in thr process of setting up office here, and need a heap of cordless phones - they are v. pricey in Thailand (B4000 and up for ONE unit!!) - so am thinking of getting them sent out from the UK, where they are B500 - does anyone know if they will work here?

Just to emphasize, i'm talking about house phones, not mobiles!

Thanks! Lob

1. Is the radio frequency range the same?

2. Is it legal?

3. In the ring voltage the same?

4. Transmitters I believe are in the same category as military munitions and very tightly controlled. I would not even attempt this without strong legal advise advising you will not end up where you don't want to be. :o

OK. In a past life I was a phone engineer, sad but true.

UK phones of any type will NOT work here just by using a plug adaptor :o

Thailand (and most of the rest of the world) use a two-wire phone system. The UK (leading from behind as usual) use a three-wire system. Note that we still only have two wires coming into the house but a third wire is used inside the building. This wire is know as AT (Anti-Tinkle) and is a throwback to the old bell phones whick could 'tinkle' when someone dialled out on an extension.

A regular UK phone will work and make calls BUT it won't ring.

You CAN make a UK phone work, just bring a UK Master socket (from B&Q) hook that to the line and plug the phone in.

As to whether this is legal here... probably not, but who will know??

I think you will find that most of the UK system now uses a 2 wire connection. The only difference now being the actual jack plug and you can buy replacement cables easy enough.

I use a UK phone that i brought with me, cordless DECT and it works absolutely fine.

I use the old version of http://www.panasonic.co.uk/dect-telephones...10esc/index.htm

Hope it of use... :o

I did say it was in a previous life :o

Up until fairly recently to get the approval (green spot) a phone needed to be 3 wire.

That said, so many two wire phones are on sale that BT have just about given up on the approvals thing.

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm a sparky still living in the UK at the mo and we still have to wire all internal phone points in residential properties with 3 connections or like the Crossy says you can phone both ways but theres no ringing going on.

Bye :o

• 2 weeks later...

I believe DECT uses the same frequency as PCT uses here.

i.e. If you're rural, I don't think you'll have any problems - if you're in a city (Bangkok only?), you might have issues. (I took a DECT phone out originally - but it only worked for a month or so - not sure if the problem was the frequency, or spikes in the power that caused it to stop working though).

As to whether it will work - see if the cable connecting the base unit to the wall uses a US style phone jack on the phone. In that case, there's a pretty good likelihood all you need to do is replace that cable for one with US-style (same as Thai) phone plugs on both ends. (But I wouldn't go out and buy 100 phones without checking one works OK).