Thai/ Usa Citizen With Only Departure Stampe In Thai Passport

Hi,

I am looking for a little help or advice. I have recently entered Thailand from USA with my US Passport. I am planning on leaving next week for China with my Thai Passport which I have already have a Chinese Visa in. My issue is that my Thai passport only has one stamp in it and it is a DEPARTURE stamp from February of 2008. I have talked with some people at thai immigration building and also with the airline and they said I would have problems when trying to leave BKK with Thai passport as I was never stamped in with Thai Passport. Does anyone know what kind of "problems" will happen at the immigration counter. I was told a fine of 800-900 baht possibly but what will they do with the stamp? I am planning to return to BKK after China and will use my USA passport to exit BKK a couple weeks after my return from China. My USA has enough time as I have already received a 1 year visa extension.

I asked the airline if I could leave thai immigration here with my USA passport and enter China with my thai passport and they said they weren't sure. The only other issue I also have is that my Thai passport has my Thai name as my middle name and also a longer last name. I cut my last name short for my USA passport.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. All i need is a stamp in my Thai passport to show that I came back in lol.

Can't you just go thru Thai Immigrations here with your US passport and stamp out, then enter China on your thai passport which has the visa?

I know all too many half thai/ half US people who fly outta the US with their US passport and enter thailand on their thai one, and just do the opposite when they leave, so it hasta work.

When you check in at your airline counter show your thai passport as it's got the Chinese Visa in it. When you go thru the thai immigrations check point stamp out in the US passport. You said you've got a year extension; hopefully you've got a re-entry permit too to keep your extension of stay alive when you leave.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this but I think it is a viable solution, and believe it’s done routinely. I doubt thai immigrations would even have half a clue about this and any answer you’d get might or might not be the actual answer.

While I am NOT advocating this :o , as I think it takes some creative license with the letter of the law, another option would be to just leave your US passport here, and use your thai one only. After all you’re thai, and going to China as a thai on a thai passport. In this instance, who really cares if you also hold a US one? For all practical purposes your US passport would show you never left thailand, as all the stamps would be in your thai passport. Again, and for the record I am NOT advocating this route only offer it out as a maybe type of option. I think it's more a maybe NOT than a maybe so one. :D

You need to leave on your US passport. Normally this would just mean you present Thai passport to airline at check-in. But you have other issues with a different name on passport as your China manifest will list one name but your passport would be another. This would be a serious issue with some countries. I expect both airline and immigration will be very upset.

You should have put visa in US passport or made plans to exit by air in a quick trip to change passport of entry.

I have no idea what will happen. It may work out. Suspect I would make a quick trip to KL on AirAsia this weekend if next week travel is critical (not being an optimist).

Can't you just go thru Thai Immigrations here with your US passport and stamp out, then enter China on your thai passport which has the visa?

I know all too many half thai/ half US people who fly outta the US with their US passport and enter thailand on their thai one, and just do the opposite when they leave, so it hasta work.

When you check in at your airline counter show your thai passport as it's got the Chinese Visa in it. When you go thru the thai immigrations check point stamp out in the US passport. You said you've got a year extension; hopefully you've got a re-entry permit too to keep your extension of stay alive when you leave.

Maybe I'm out in left field on this but I think it is a viable solution, and believe it's done routinely. I doubt thai immigrations would even have half a clue about this and any answer you'd get might or might not be the actual answer.

While I am NOT advocating this :o , as I think it takes some creative license with the letter of the law, another option would be to just leave your US passport here, and use your thai one only. After all you're thai, and going to China as a thai on a thai passport. In this instance, who really cares if you also hold a US one? For all practical purposes your US passport would show you never left thailand, as all the stamps would be in your thai passport. Again, and for the record I am NOT advocating this route only offer it out as a maybe type of option. I think it's more a maybe NOT than a maybe so one. :D

That is what I thought regarding leaving for this trip with USA passport and entering china with Thai passport. When I told this to the airline rep I spoke with he said I couldn't do that because at Check-in they key in my passport # and visa # and when I would go through immigration with USA passport it would not show up on the screen. He said that once I enter China they only look for a valid VISA and that my Passport is not expired.

I spoke with an ex-immigration officer and he said to tell the immigration officer my situation and see what they recommend.

I was thinking of almost just playing dumb and giving them my Thai passport to leave and if they said something about the stamp just act as if I didn't know what was going on because my USA passport has no stamp of entry or exit for that trip in 2008 for some reason. The only thing that sucks is the stamp from 2008 is the only stamp in my Thai passport besides the chinese VISA and they are pages right next to each other.

I am hoping they will just fine me and fix my thai passport stamp somehow.

I went to the Thai immigration office today to extend my visa and no one there knew an answer so maybe there will be some flexibility somewhere

What do you mean by re-entry permit? What would I need it for? Wouldn't my extension expire once I leave the BKK and then when I return I would be issued the 30 day one? I am not staying for longer than a week in BKK once I return from China. But I have a visa in my US passport to leave BKK for India after China so somehow I still need to show that I am in Thailand under US passport when I return from China

Edited by Tiffy9

You need to leave on your US passport. Normally this would just mean you present Thai passport to airline at check-in. But you have other issues with a different name on passport as your China manifest will list one name but your passport would be another. This would be a serious issue with some countries. I expect both airline and immigration will be very upset.

You should have put visa in US passport or made plans to exit by air in a quick trip to change passport of entry.

I have no idea what will happen. It may work out. Suspect I would make a quick trip to KL on AirAsia this weekend if next week travel is critical (not being an optimist).

The only reason I made the VISA in my Thai passport is the price for Thai was 1,000 baht compared to 4,500 baht for US Passport. I am leaving Monday for China so I don't have enough time to get in and out. I went to Poipet the other day in hopes of getting something cleared up but ended up with a wasted trip and wasted Cambodia visa fee. I am hoping they will just fine me somehow

I'm a dual Thai- Australian citizen.

When leaving Thailand: Show your Thai passport to the airline check in, and they will see with the visa you can enter China.

Present immigration your US passport to be stamped out on. They won't care about anything, as the airline wouldn't have issued you a boarding pass if you didn't have the authorisation to travel to your destination country.

Enter and leave China on your Thai passport.

Re-enter Thailand on your Thai passport so you are no longer subject to immigration controls.

I'm not sure why you decided to 'live' in Thailand on a US passport, but my advice is if you are Thai citizen with dual citizenship, always enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport. Makes life much easier.

Exiting Thailand on your Thai passport for this trip wont work - according to immigration, that passport is still outside the country.

Edited by samran

When leaving Thailand: Show your Thai passport to the airline check in, and they will see with the visa you can enter China.

Present immigration your US passport to be stamped out on. They won't care about anything, as the airline wouldn't have issued you a boarding pass if you didn't have the authorisation to travel to your destination country.

Re-enter Thailand on your Thai passport so you are no longer subject to immigration controls.

I'm not sure why you decided to 'live' in Thailand on a US passport, but my advice is if you are Thai citizen with dual citizenship, always enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport. Makes life much easier.

Exiting Thailand on your Thai passport for this trip wont work - according to immigration, that passport is still outside the country.

My thoughts exactly. Why would a Thai citizen choose to stay in Thailand under a US passport?

What VISA do you have to stay in Thailand?

Why pay for this VISA when it is not needed?

You chose to have the Chinese VISA attached to the Thai passport in order to save money but did not consider it a waste of money to pay for a VISA for a country to which you hold citizenship.

Leave Thailand on the US passport as it has the entry stamp.

Enter and exit China on the Thai passport as it has the VISA.

Re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport and use the Thai gates at customs with the knowledge that you DO NOT NEED A THAI VISA.

Does anyone think I will have an issue when entering China doing this?

That's what made sense to me but when I asked the airline rep, they said I couldn't do this b/c he said the passport info he puts in wouldn't match at thai immigration if I switched passports. It kind of makes sense but doesn't as I know people use different passports to enter/exit all the time.

Thank you guys for your help.

I have typically never stayed in BKK for more than a months time so just have been use to using my USA passport. I live in the USA and visit BKK couple times a year.

Does anyone think I will have an issue when entering China doing this?

That's what made sense to me but when I asked the airline rep, they said I couldn't do this b/c he said the passport info he puts in wouldn't match at thai immigration if I switched passports. It kind of makes sense but doesn't as I know people use different passports to enter/exit all the time.

Thank you guys for your help.

I have typically never stayed in BKK for more than a months time so just have been use to using my USA passport. I live in the USA and visit BKK couple times a year.

Why would you have issues entering China?

At check in, the airline will take you Thai passport and visa details, which will be entered into their system.

All that will happen is you get stamped out on your US passport - as that is the passport you get entered in on.

When you reach China, you'll be stamped in on your Thai passport. Many countries don't stamp out their nationals these days, so the Chinese immigration people won't be looking for an exit stamp from your last destination. Even if they were, just show them your US passport (if asked). There is no crime for being a dual national.

As said, for coming to Thailand, simply use your Thai passport. There is no advantage using your US passport - actually a major disadvantage as you are subject to Thai immigration rules (for your own country!!). And as you've seen, it can get you tangled in knots when you do.

nb. when I leave thailand for Australia - they input my Australian passport details into 'the airline system', which says I have authority to travel to Australia. Boarding pass is issued in my name (same in both passports). At Thai immigration, I am stamped out on my Thai passport.

In 20 years, no one has said a thing.

You will be FINE. Stop worrying.

Edited by samran

My thoughts exactly. Why would a Thai citizen choose to stay in Thailand under a US passport?

Some US/Thai citizens (as in naturalized Thai Americans, not luk krungs) still feel concerned that use of 'other' country passports will somehow jeopardize their new naturalized US citizenship status and others feel it may affect their social security benefits. There are a few dozen folks in my family who fit this bill and while most do the double passport travel deal as Samran mentioned, there are a few who still do the passport stamp like they were tourists. The Thai immigration police gladly stamps them and charges them 1,900 Baht a year without suggesting they do the double passport travel deal (although they are nice enough not to mandate the inconvenience of a 'visa run' for US passport Thai citizen 'tourists'). A non issue on both counts but it's probably not a secret that stateside immigration wasn't (and perhaps still isn't) always too friendly to green card holders: questions/comments like Are you sure you want to live here? I should just tear this card up if you're going to be out of the country for more than a year., etc..., add to that English as a second language for a lot of these folks and it didn't make for a nice scene.

So the feelings probably still linger on the part of 'new' citizens.

:)

I do not work for airlines so perhaps I am wrong in below thinking but me best guess is:

At check-in he will be manifested as the named ticket holder which is the name on his US passport. There will be a different person trying to enter China with that Thai passport and strongly suspect issues. The big problem is the different names. Airline must enter the name on ticket as traveler (the show of Thai passport is just for show to local agent to prove no visa is required).

Am I wrong?

I do not work for airlines so perhaps I am wrong in below thinking but me best guess is:

At check-in he will be manifested as the named ticket holder which is the name on his US passport. There will be a different person trying to enter China with that Thai passport and strongly suspect issues. The big problem is the different names. Airline must enter the name on ticket as traveler (the show of Thai passport is just for show to local agent to prove no visa is required).

Am I wrong?

Neither do I work for the airlines; but my read on the procedure is that the OP would be checked on to the aircraft manifest with their Thai passport, but would present their US passport to Thai immigration for a departure stamp.

One small detail is that nowadays with 'ticket less travel' you show your passport at check-in, (sometimes along with a print out of the e-ticket); so the OP need to explain what is what at check in to make sure that their Thai passport is entered on the manifest.

The OP puts the boarding card (which to my recollection does not show the passport number) with the US passport to pass through immigration then (only if requested) shows the Thai passport with the boarding card on the aircraft.

As far as the airline is concerned, they are carrying a Thai with a valid visa for China. If there are any issues with immigration, then the Thai passport can always be produced with an explanation of the need for a departure stamp in the US passport.

All this is assuming that the same name is in both passports.

Then enter/leave China on the Thai Passport/China Visa and present the Thai passport on return to Thailand.

I have read may posts here on Thai visa where passports were changed 'in the air' and I cannot see this as any different

Am I wrong?

As I have read, there is no international law against multiple citizenships and passports, but the names must match or have an extremely valid reason for a mismatch - a woman who got married, for example... A few countries will not recognize multiple citizenships. A few countries will grant citizenship on request of family members even to grandchildren; New Zealand & Ireland come to mind. So, as long as the personal data in the passports match, there is no conflict.

In this case, the real difficulty is that the US Passport does not have the citizen's full name.

Why not just get a Chinese , VISA , in your U.S. passport. Forget about the money and make it easy on yourself. Also, the immigration people when the don't know the answer off the top of their heads. Sounds like you have a good life. Keep it going smooth.

Ten years ago my wife, a Thai, and I made many trips out of the country and my wife was always required to "check out" of Thailand and given a re-entry form. Maybe I missed this above or the rules have changed but I do not see any mention of a re-entry form as a requirement of a Thai citizen for re-entry into the country.

Very good and correct answer!

My recommendation is to try and leave Thailand on the passport on which you entered the country. If they ask about missing stamps, show your other passport an explain. In fact, every time you enter Thailand, you should use your Thai passport only, so I am surprised your entry stamp is in your US passport and you have an extension of stay.

When you reach China, you can use your US passport and present yourself as a US citizen. There is no problem changing your nationality in mid-air, and I have never heard of immigration checking against the passenger manifest. If they do, just show your Thai passport. since you are legal, there should not be a problem. If they make a fuzz about the difference in the name, your embassy will need to verify your identity but I don't think you'll encounter any problems.

Of course, I am not a lawyer and am reporting from my personal experience only, which may not apply to your case.

In what name is your Chinese Visa? You will HAVE] to use that passport to enter China.

In what name is your airline ticket? You will HAVE to present the passport in that name to the airline to get a boarding pass.

What passport did you use to enter Thailand? Use that passport to exit Thailand.

If there is a problem it will be on exit control. That is when you show them the other passport.

Am I wrong?

You are not wrong at all Lopburi, I think you are 100% correct. This one issue renders all other advice, right or wrong (including from me) hugely problematic. Based upon this one issue I'd suggest a visit to immigration to square the Thai passport before leaving. A general comment I might add is that carrying two passports bearing different names (except in the case of a married woman) in this day of international terrorism is just asking for big red flags to be raised against you at any border who finds out.

This is a very common problem and I do not have a definitive answer.

I get asked all the time usually by Thai wives with English and Thai passports.

It causes a lot of anxiety and there does not seem to be a definitive answer.

Yet I see the same people next year and the problem seems to have gone away.

So my advice is simply to play it by ear and not to worry about it too much.

Ten years ago my wife, a Thai, and I made many trips out of the country and my wife was always required to "check out" of Thailand and given a re-entry form. Maybe I missed this above or the rules have changed but I do not see any mention of a re-entry form as a requirement of a Thai citizen for re-entry into the country.

This is not a re-entry form - Thai fill out a normal arrival/departure card on departure and present copy when they return. Thai obtaining a passport overseas do not have such a form on arrival and many others lose them just as visitors here lose and don't have when departing.

I don't think having differing names is a big deal.

My Australian passport does not have my Thai middle name 'Samran' in it, while my Thai passport does.

My cousins Thai passports are in their Thai names, but their Australian passports have their anglised names in them (not changed by marriage, but by choice when they were kids). Their Thai names stay the same in their Thai passport because they haven't bothered to change them in Thailand. They travel without hassel on them.

My mother, after 40 years, still is officially a 'Miss' in Thailand and her passport still is issued in her maiden name.

Tiffy9, in what name is your airline ticket to China?

The airline ticket matches my Thai Passport which has the VISA for China.

So planning on checking in to airline with Thai passport, going through immigration with US Passport and entering China on Thai passport. The names are similar except that the Thai passport has my whole thai last name and added Thai middle name. My US passport has same first name and shortened last name.

Tiffy9, in what name is your airline ticket to China?

The airline ticket matches my Thai Passport which has the VISA for China.

So planning on checking in to airline with Thai passport, going through immigration with US Passport and entering China on Thai passport. The names are similar except that the Thai passport has my whole thai last name and added Thai middle name. My US passport has same first name and shortened last name.

You should be fine then, not that I think anyone will really ask. Especially if the surname is an simply shorted a la Tang/Tangkolsakul