Adventure Caving?

malamala

Last year we spent few days at the Cave Lodge near Soppong exploring the caves with a guide.

This year we would love to have another caving adventure, are there any such opportunities in the area of Chiang Mai / Chiang Dao?

Appreciate your kind advice.

I can only say Whhhoooowwwww!

Thank you Martin,

thank you fishenough.

Hey, I felt the same way when I heard about his site. Had visited a few and then saw just how many caves are in the north of Thailand. CM needs a caving group, which would be nice for newbie spelunkers like my son and I. We rattle around underground carefully with bicycle helmets, several flashlights each and some basic safety tips gleaned off the internet.

Haven't met Martin but was referred.

Looks like fun, I would be interested in participating, being a cave diver, always looking and searching for new caves to dive too, so how about those being interested meeting at a venue one night to discuss a trip to do some exploring?

thank you very much for posting the link to Martin's web site!

Fishenough you mentioned you visited 9 caves, would you recommend any of them, does one stand out more than another?

Do you know they've all been nice with different highlights, and I'm not including the caves visited quickly on bike tour or the airy cavern style ones with the 9. It's a mix of the tour type ones, where the Cave Lodge main cave stands out (hopefully I can head that way later this week) to some of the more remote ones - see picture below, the Taktan cave is close to Chiang Mai on the Samoeng loop (don't get caught coming out of there when it rains, two of use could just manage to push my bike up the grassy wet hill. Would have been stuck with the truck, which has been there also!). I even want to return to busy Chiang Dao cave one day.

IMGP2531.JPG

Thank you.

On the same note- it'll be our short vacation, so perhaps I should arrange the adventure caving through a guide, we will not be bringing helmets and such.

Do you have any suggestions who to contact in the Chiang Mai area, someone who can arrange a caving trip for us?

Cave Lodge offers tours and provides routes to more out of the way caves, and can provide gear; plus it's a cool place to stay. And the drive to Soppong is one of the nicest mountain drives in the North, though very twisty if your packed into the back of a speeding mini bus, silver Toyota van thing; they can do that four hour drive in three hours, and if you go that route bring motion sickness pills.

Heard from some missions kids about packages offered by Climb On, think it's a CM rock climbing adventure company based in town.

Then of course there are the tourist caves near Chiang Mai, where you can rent a guide or just a flashlight. I taken out of town visitors to, and we've enjoyed Muang On caves in San Kamphaeng and the Chiang Dao cave.

Never even counted in my cave count, the Fish Cave, another 30 km down the road from the Cave Lodge turn off, that my son and I gave a quick recon to last month.

I know about Cave lodge, we did the caving with them last year, but unfortunately we will not have enough time this year to drive there for more fun.

If any more suggestions cross your ind, please, post them here, thank you again for taking the time to reply!

thank you very much for posting the link to Martin's web site!

Fishenough you mentioned you visited 9 caves, would you recommend any of them, does one stand out more than another?

Do you know they've all been nice with different highlights, and I'm not including the caves visited quickly on bike tour or the airy cavern style ones with the 9. It's a mix of the tour type ones, where the Cave Lodge main cave stands out (hopefully I can head that way later this week) to some of the more remote ones - see picture below, the Taktan cave is close to Chiang Mai on the Samoeng loop (don't get caught coming out of there when it rains, two of use could just manage to push my bike up the grassy wet hill. Would have been stuck with the truck, which has been there also!). I even want to return to busy Chiang Dao cave one day.

IMGP2531.JPG

Fishenough, Did you actually find an entrance to a real cave up there and go in? All I've found are mosquito infested holes that only go in a few meters. Is there a deep cave up there?

Fishenough, Did you actually find an entrance to a real cave up there and go in? All I've found are mosquito infested holes that only go in a few meters. Is there a deep cave up there?

The real entrance is just down the hill from the parking area, on the right, maybe 300 m. Was told be a teacher at the Hmong school near the turn off that the cave goes all the way to Chiang Dao :lol: Think maybe we explored 500 m in, and have to say we saw more bats in that cave then any other. Smelly

Malamala I was aware of your Cave Lodge visit, but hadn't heard of any other resources in the north; excluding the rock climbing tour companies. John might be a fantastic resource for cave info closer to Chiang Mai.

Did you look at their website? I'm not really sure how their email response times are, but I know that all of their offerings are listed on the website, plus they can customize trips for you too. I would probably call instead of email, honestly. As I've learned in this country, emails don't get me very many responses, but telephone calls do. (Which sucks because I hate talking on the phone annoyed.gif But, mai pen rai...)

I am still waiting for the reply, you are right, it's not the fastest process.

Did check out their web site, looks promising, so I keep hoping for some custom caving instead of a course How to cave.

Edited by malamala

With CM Rock Climbing Adventures best to go talk with White or Pui who's english is excellent. American owned so safty and quality of instructors is very good ... I'm doing some tailored mountaineering courses of a K2 climb next year and would recomend them.