Did I Buy The Right Ipad

phazey

After walking up and down Fashion Islands mobile phone stores some weeks ago, i finally decided to buy an iPad. I was torn between the wifi and the 3G version. After a few hours trying to decide, i chose the 32G wifi over the 16GB 3G model, with the fact in my mind i could tether from my android device.

One thing recently that I've been kicking myself about it the lack of GPS. The 3G Model has a dedicated GPS chip,the Wifi does not. I decided there must be some solution - perhaps an external GPS module. As it turns out, I had everything i needed right with me.

How to get true GPS on a wifi iPad ? Well there are two things you need to purchase, maybe 3 if you don't have an android phone. FOr the phone, you need to buy "Bluetooth GPS". This will use the phones GPS, and then export the readings over Bluetooth to a compatible device. To make the iPad compatible (jailbroke) you need to install "BTStack GPS"from Cydia - a $5 app that will allow GPS to be sent to application via an external source.

Thats pretty much it. It was trivial to get the Ipad to start importing the co-ordinates sent from the Android device (G1), and silently emulates a regular GPS chip well enough to run TomTom or Sygic satnav apps in full 10" glory. Motion GPS is now a native app and works real well.

Of course, this will also allow dedicated bluetooth GPS sources to work and not just android phones, but that's all i had at the time.

6000 baht saved, same capabilities.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Ya i've talked about this a few times. I also use a wifi only ipad and connect to my iphone modem for edge/3g. The ipad does NOT need to be jailbroken because the iphone is acting like its own wifi network. So on the ipad you just go to settings, wifi and connect to the wifi network there just like any other wifi network.

The iphone however DOES need to be jailbroken and installed the cydia app MYWI to turn your iphone into a wifi modem. Its just a simple toggle to turn it on and off, very simple and easy.

Before I bought my iPad a few months back I also reasoned that the wifi only model would be enough. For some reason I bought the 3G/Wifi model and have never looked back. Micro Sim from DTAC, has its moments like any internet service in TH but for the most part is pretty reliable.

When I travel, which I do fairly regularly, I can get prepaid microsims in other countries and get real 3G. Even for a couple of days on business to Singapore I no longer take my laptop.

Something to think about when deciding which to buy. Now that I know you can buy prepaid microsims in other countries.... I wish I had bought a 3g model as I WILL be travelling with it and my iphone wont be able to connect to their network unless I buy a prepaid simcard for the phone... which is entirely possible I guess and it all works out the same same.

Sure? I think there's a real GPS in the WiFi version. My 16GB is super accurate. Specs page says it has AGPS, no difference between WiFi + 3G in this respect.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

AGPS means it's GPS + assistance for quicker location lock.

Ok I was wrong... no GPS in the WiFi version. Had I known this... It's very confusing because the Apple website says that AGPS for the "3G + WiFi" model. But that's not "the 3G and the WiFi model" - that's the 3G model only, which Apple calls "3G + WiFi". Annoying.

Had I known this I'd definitely have gotten the 3G. Well OK - I will next time, when they make the models with the front facing camera.