Rhubarb Pies

butterisbetter

I happen to know that he buys imported rhubarb at the moment, but I would guess that it is grown in Thailand as Love at First Bite has it pretty much all the time.

Does anyone know for sure?

Love at First Bite get theirs from the Royal Project.

/ Priceless

Notthign beat Fresh Stuff , if you need to Import is time you reconsider new recipe for your Pie

Spoken like a true non-baker. When I was a child, I used to pick all sorts of fruits and berries. My mother would freeze them. All winter long we had delicious summer fruit pies. When fruit is frozen properly, it is first rate in pies and other pastries. Much more important is how you prepare the pie. I would rather have a frozen fruit pie made with a properly made real butter crust than a fresh fruit pie with a margarine crust. Most of the pies i've had here, come to think of it, all the pies i've had her apart from our own, are innocent of any trace of butter. Of course, if you like trans fats, you can graze elsewhere.

well , i do bake pie and crusted stuff not for sale but for fun .

what i am trying to say is , all about getting it fresh as much as you can.

if you like can stuff and imported stuff that you .

if i had a choice of what to give my customer i would make it as fresh as i can . using local supply .

if you like a frozen fruit pie that you . by all mean . go ahead . and like i said . you do not have a duty to please me or anyone . just do what is best .

i am sure you make good pie . and i would not want to judge that till i ate your pie .

i been baking for about 19 years , and my teacher is master pastry chef in shangri la , she is also the pastry chef for the president of singapore many year ago

i learn

and since i do enjoy baking . and cooking and all kinda food .

i still stand . fresh fruit is still the best . if you can get local .

Edited by Ta22

well , i do bake pie and crusted stuff not for sale but for fun .

what i am trying to say is , all about getting it fresh as much as you can.

if you like can stuff and imported stuff that you .

if i had a choice of what to give my customer i would make it as fresh as i can . using local supply .

if you like a frozen fruit pie that you . by all mean . go ahead . and like i said . you do not have a duty to please me or anyone . just do what is best .

i am sure you make good pie . and i would not want to judge that till i ate your pie .

i been baking for about 19 years , and my teacher is master pastry chef in shangri la , she is also the pastry chef for the president of singapore many year ago

i learn

and since i do enjoy baking . and cooking and all kinda food .

i still stand . fresh fruit is still the best . if you can get local .

But that's not what you wrote before

"Notthign beat Fresh Stuff , if you need to Import is time you reconsider new recipe for your Pie"

All things being equal, I prefer fresh too. That said freezing technology is quite remarkable now. Virtually all sushi even in Japan is now frozen and even top sushi chefs confess they can't usually tell the difference.

Also, even if fresh, produce can very greatly in flavor depending where it comes from.

It also depends on the particular variety of the fruit or vegetable. I much prefer frozen wild blueberries to fresh cultivated ones.

If, in fact, fresh rhubarb is currently available, I will certainly give it a try. But the deciding factor in my selection will be how it tastes.

I think we can both agree that butter in a pie crust , provided of course that it is properly handled, is far superior to margarine or other forms of hydrogenated vegetable oil in cakes and pastries.

But the deciding factor in my selection will be how it tastes.

I think we can both agree that butter in a pie crust , provided of course that it is properly handled, is far superior to margarine or other forms of hydrogenated vegetable oil in cakes and pastries.

Of course.

Looks as though you and Ta22 masterchef extraordinaire are agreed about butter is better but the sainted Delia feels differently as do I. I have the feeling that only butter makes the pastry too hard, whereas combined with lard it achieves a softer, lighter texture and a taste more to my liking. But, no doubt at all, its a matter of individual preference.

"My opinion is," says Delia, "that the best flavour and texture in shortcrustpastry is when equal quantities of pure lard and butter are used. Generally speaking, the amount of fat in shortcrust pastry is half the amount of flour:"

But the deciding factor in my selection will be how it tastes.

Of course.

Looks as though you and Ta22 masterchef extraordinaire are agreed about butter is better but the sainted Delia feels differently as do I. I have the feeling that only butter makes the pastry too hard, whereas combined with lard it achieves a softer, lighter texture and a taste more to my liking. But, no doubt at all, its a matter of individual preference.

"My opinion is," says Delia, "that the best flavour and texture in shortcrustpastry is when equal quantities of pure lard and butter are used. Generally speaking, the amount of fat in shortcrust pastry is half the amount of flour:"

I actually tried using lard and butter mixture in my pie crusts when I lived in the USA. I found that while lard is great for meat pies and other savory pies, it doesn't go so well with sweet pies. I haven't found lard in Thailand but I do have a recipe for making it and I may give it a shot. Especially if I go ahead with plans to make meat pies.

One thing I think we can both agree about is that scones made with hydrogenated vegetable fat like margarine or Crisco are inherently inferior in taste to those made with butter. Unless of course, you have a taste for margarine or Crisco.

i am just a home baker and i hardly bake nowaday and when i do i do it for fun ., so i would not even call myself anyway near a master chef . i just enjoy really good food .

there is a few option . but to each his own . everyone have their own recipe and what make then feel good about their pie .

i am not much of a pie person . but i do like hongkong style egg tart with mini crust , alot of thing play the role in good pie or any food in fact .

that what i learn over the years , there is no perfect recipe and there is no BEST choice . is a really a very personal thing .

i would go down to try maybe a slice of the pie cos i think buying a whole pie is too expensive for me and in fact i can;t eat too much of anything butter nowaday .

i suggested you to go local , cos is the best way to get fresh stuff . like listed you may try Maesot or the royal project for the supply .

but again is your choice.

my teacher once told me that she prepare Sugar for making a pie for 6 month .

i am not going to give up the secret .

the reason i suggest you go local , cos export food need to be packed . and there is only a limited way to keep it fresh or not from fermenting .

usually adding tons of sugar or salt or using chemical . is a different thing when it come to storing or preserving.

the sweetness would vary . anyway i am really lazy to go into detail cos there is just too much detail on how to make really good food .

you may see a pie in a few hour , but the step leading to a good pie may take months or years .

so you got to balance between commercial Pie or really good pie .

do you use fresh milk or do you buy bottle milk .

just like tea . tap water , bottle water and collectec rain water or collected morning dew . is all different water , and at the end of the days . it would taste different .

sometime i tell my friends bottle water taste different and i tell then this brand of water taste different from that brand of water . there think i am crazy .

. anyway like i said this will go on and go and like i always enjoy finger workout i will just type aways and may make no sences to anyone

whahhahaahhahaah i would had went down today if not for my birthday party tonight , and also my parent going to singapore for holiday .

i am sure you make good pie .

my teacher once said " don't think too much , half the task of making good pastry is having fun "

to add something to it .

to say butter is better or margarine is better or anything else is better , hmmm in my view is again very perosnal .

it would boil down to what butter you use , how you do it . have you consider mixing both .

have you try other product . like what you had said . unless of course you have a taste for butter in your case.

is really very wide to apply to it .

so . is butter better , not consider your shop name . i would say maybe

Edited by Ta22

Rhubarb was being grown at a Royal Project at Doi Ithanon.That was a year ago, so not sure if it still is

In the USA rhubarb is a seasonal vegetable that usually comes in about the same time as strawberries. hence strawberry rhubarb pie. i am going to give them a call to check on it's availability. I beleive I did see it on offer earlier this year.

Its not about giving away anything for free but we have to remember the country we live in.

The average and also mini-mi sallery is 220 bath a day so the earnings is about 6000 Bath a month.

with this price it should be 50000 and how many people have that at the end of the month,

or its not the Thais that are in consideration because the Farrang he can pay.

thats the wrong way to set the price because we can afford to pay.

I don't really want to go into a pricing diatribe but if you go to L@FB you will see that approx 90% of the customers are Thai. Those little eggy tart things which are totally aimed at the Thai market certainly don't come cheap either. I think the brand name is Khanom.

(Actually I think it is the same as that HK egg tart referred to above - which in fact is more common in Macau as it originates from Portugal.) I was actually talking about those with a friend a few weeks ago as she had been to the place where they came from in Portugal, and couldn't think of the name. Found it on Google though!

Egg tarts

The same goes for a lot of food products. I think its a misconception to say there are not many Thais that will spend on food. In fact if you could turn rhubarb pie into a trendy product, you could find yourself doing a roaring trade.

If you want to eat repetitive pastries from International Patissieres who are bound by the structured Hotel environments in which they work and practise their art, go ahead knock yourself out.

If on the other hand you want pies and other pastries with real personality and great flavour, go to Butter is Better.

Rhubarb pie was excellent today Andrew. A little tarter would be great for me but it could alienate the general public if too tart.

Ah f#ck it - go all out and make it mouth puckering tart. Seperate the boys from the men...B)

Its not about giving away anything for free but we have to remember the country we live in.

The average and also mini-mi sallery is 220 bath a day so the earnings is about 6000 Bath a month.

with this price it should be 50000 and how many people have that at the end of the month,

or its not the Thais that are in consideration because the Farrang he can pay.

thats the wrong way to set the price because we can afford to pay.

Thais have created one of the world's most varied and brilliant cuisines. It offers a huge variety of foods including desserts. i don't think that most Thai people are pining for cheese danishes or all beef hot dogs or chicken pot pie. Thais are way too polite and considerate to say so, but I'm pretty sure they consider their cuisine to be superior to anything that elsewhere has to offer. And not without reason.

is funny that one think that a master chef working her way up the chain and is able to be at the top of what she do . is only limited by what her work at or for .

just like one feel; that if he is an expat he must pay expat price for good food or what he like .

i don't expect everyone to understand . and not especially in a thread that the aim maybe just to promote his pie .

then again . i do not gain nor lose anything . .

shall not waste anyone time in this thread . cos is degrading fast.

have a wonder day

Edited by Ta22