Royal Dragon - Worlds Largest Restaurant?

Flutterby

I read about the Royal Dragon restaurant, supposedly the world's largest in Bangkok. It looks really interesting and fun. Has anyone been there and is it worth the trip? Is it just a tourist place and is it expensive? I usually stay around Sukhumvit Soi 12 and it is out near BITEC beyond the On Nut BTS station.

I've been there on business a couple of times. Not sure about the price, but the food is nothing special. It's not really aimed at tourist, I get the impression it's only really used by people who are at BITEC. It's more of a gimmick aimed at Thai's.

Personally I wouldn't bother if I was you. There are much nicer places to eat, even the restaurant opposite the Royal Dragon has nicer food and alot more fun.

Bigger doesn't mean better, especially when it comes to food and restaurants.

Been there, done that. Moderate prices for below average food. Service was abysmal. If your looking for Disneyland, try somewhere else. Go to Cabbages and Condoms. Better food (at higher prices but not expensive) and a bright and playful environment.

Edited by Igor

There used to be a restaurant called the Tum Nak Thai I think that seated over 1,000 people.

I went there a couple of times back in the middle 90's but I cannot remember where it was.

The Tamnak Thai was in Ratchada Rd. It is long gone and the site is now occupied by Carrefour (next to Robinson's Ratchada)

There used to be a restaurant called the Tum Nak Thai I think that seated over 1,000 people.

I went there a couple of times back in the middle 90's but I cannot remember where it was.

Yea, I remember that place, the waiters/waitresses were on roller blades. There they would be zooming along delivering tam yam koong or a fish dish that has charcoal fire underneath it and they would be streaming sparks behind them.

I actually like this place. I go there many times especially for big dinners like more than half a dozen people. I also recommend just getting a VIP room for something like 100 baht more. It may not have the best food, but the price is not expensive and average. It depends what you order and plan to eat. The menu is mostly Chinese style with fish hot pots, baby pigs and peking duck is what I would recommend. If you have to drive halfway across town for fried rice with your significant other don't bother. It is just another restaurant. But if you want Chinese food with many family members while on Bang-Na or on the way from the airport I would actually recommend it.

If you want some western or Thai food it is better to just go into the 13 coins resort near the AVANA hotel.

Yea, I remember that place, the waiters/waitresses were on roller blades. There they would be zooming along delivering tam yam koong or a fish dish that has charcoal fire underneath it and they would be streaming sparks behind them.

Thanks for the update.

I only went there a little in my early days but I do remember the staff on roller blades.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, ,one of the rare places where they were bill padding...:angry: