Need Help Fully Understanding This Sentence

farangnahrak

I have a question about this sentence:

@ พี่ฮั๊ว..ขอบพระคุณคะ การเดินทางของชีวิต ทำให้หญิงได้พบคนดีระหว่างทางคนนี้คะ มีความสุขจริงๆ คะ เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อที่สามารถสอนสั่งหญิงได้เวลาหญิงหลงทางคะพี่ฮั๊ว..รู้สึกว่าตนเองมีบุญจริงๆ ที่ๆได้รู้จักพี่หนึ่ง..(^_^)

Who is 'เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อ', is it พี่ฮั๊ว (a girl) or is it พี่หนึ่ง (a guy)?

It almost sounds like it is พี่ฮั๊ว, but it doesn't sound right to call a lady 'คุณพ่อ'.

I think several interpretations are possible.

My first guess is that a girl (that calls herself หญิง in this message) writes to พี่ฮั๊ว .

The girl that writes that message thinks her father together with พี่ฮั๊ว are both friends that help to keep her on the right track (in life).

See feels she's very lucky she knows พี่ฮั๊ว.

I think พี่หนึ่ง comes from พี่คนหนึ่ง and it refers to พี่ฮั๊ว.

Edited by kriswillems

The girl that writes that message thinks her father together with พี่ฮั๊ว are both friends that help to keep her on the right track (in life).

Well no, พี่หนึ่ง is an actually persons name that is relevant to the subject, and her father passed away 20 years ago so that won't work either.

Well no, พี่หนึ่ง is an actually persons name that is relevant to the subject, and her father passed away 20 years ago so that won't work either.

mmmm... another possibility is the she's talking about the father of พี่ฮั๊ว and พี่ฮั๊ว.

Or is can be พี่หนึ่ง and his/her father.

Without a context the are many possible interpretations.

Edited by kriswillems

The phrase "เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อ" is something I've heard girls occasionally say is what they want their 'man' to be.

Basically 'to be a friend, to be older and mature, and to take care like a father'.

So she is either just saying พี่ฮั๊ว (a girl) is like that, or she is declaring พี่หนึ่ง (a guy) to be like that - hence "รู้สึกว่าตนเองมีบุญจริงๆ ที่ๆได้รู้จักพี่หนึ่ง".

farangnarak, you're right! Forget about my explanation.

He/she is like a friend, older brother/sister and father (3 things at once)

You're also right about the usage.

Out of this thread:

http://th.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071127094534AAsHFvx

question:ถ้าคุณมีความรักคุณจะดูแลอย่างไร

answer:ก็ยกให้เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่ และพ่อ

I think she talk about พี่หนึ่ง. I don't think พี่ฮั๊ว (a girl) can be like a father ...

Edited by kriswillems

Hi guys,

I'm a native Thai and would be happy to help you explain this sentence. I'm gonna translate the whole sentence to you word by word as much as possible. The english may sound a little awkward but it should help clarify the question.

พี่ฮั๊ว..ขอบพระคุณคะ การเดินทางของชีวิต ทำให้หญิงได้พบคนดีระหว่างทางคนนี้คะ มีความสุขจริงๆ คะ เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อที่สามารถสอนสั่งหญิงได้เวลาหญิงหลงทางคะพี่ฮั๊ว..รู้สึกว่าตนเองมีบุญจริงๆ ที่ๆได้รู้จักพี่หนึ่ง

Dear พี่ฮั้ว,

Thank you. The life-time travelling has allowed me (=หญิง) to meet a good person on the way. I'm really happy. พี่ฮั้ว you know what, he is my friend, brother, and father who can guide me when I feel lost. I'm very lucky to get to know พี่หนึ่ง

So, to answer your question, the person who is being เพื่อน พี่ และคุณพ่อ is พี่หนึ่ง

Putting คะพี่ฮั้ว at the end of that sentence means sorta like "พี่ฮั้ว, you know what". Though this is not the direct translation, but the feeling is quite similar.

Just in case you get confused, หญิง here is the name of the writer. It doesn't mean a girl or a woman, but of course it can imply that the writer whose name is หญิง is a girl.

In this context, by saying "ขอบพระคุณค่ะ", although it is possible to interprete the situation as พี่ฮั้ว was the one who introduced หญิง to พี่หนึ่ง, it does not necessary mean that. The possible situation could be พี่ฮั้ว was giving her good advice or blessing her in the previous message or it could also be that พี่ฮั้ว was helping หญิง out with something that made her feel grateful. The situation is unclear here so it is impossible to make a clear cut of what is going on.

I hope all these explanations help na ka.

Hi guys,

Thank you; very well explained.

Although it was worked out already, the flexibility you have shown in not pinning down the fact of why พี่ฮ้๊ว was being thanked or that he may not be directly responsible for her good fortune in this case, is just what this forum needs.

I hope that you can 'stick around'.

Thanks everyone, although I really just needed a confirmation on my OP question as I understood everything else rolleyes.gif

Anyway, it'd be good practice/learning for others.

it does not necessary mean that. The possible situation could be พี่ฮั้ว was giving her good advice or blessing her in the previous message

Wow, you're good! Yeap, thats exactly what had happened.

Hi guys,

I'm a native Thai and would be happy to help you explain this sentence. I'm gonna translate the whole sentence to you word by word as much as possible. The english may sound a little awkward but it should help clarify the question.

พี่ฮั๊ว..ขอบพระคุณคะ การเดินทางของชีวิต ทำให้หญิงได้พบคนดีระหว่างทางคนนี้คะ มีความสุขจริงๆ คะ เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อที่สามารถสอนสั่งหญิงได้เวลาหญิงหลงทางคะพี่ฮั๊ว..รู้สึกว่าตนเองมีบุญจริงๆ ที่ๆได้รู้จักพี่หนึ่ง

Dear พี่ฮั้ว,

Thank you. The life-time travelling has allowed me (=หญิง) to meet a good person on the way. I'm really happy. พี่ฮั้ว you know what, he is my friend, brother, and father who can guide me when I feel lost. I'm very lucky to get to know พี่หนึ่ง

So, to answer your question, the person who is being เพื่อน พี่ และคุณพ่อ is พี่หนึ่ง

Putting คะพี่ฮั้ว at the end of that sentence means sorta like "พี่ฮั้ว, you know what". Though this is not the direct translation, but the feeling is quite similar.

Just in case you get confused, หญิง here is the name of the writer. It doesn't mean a girl or a woman, but of course it can imply that the writer whose name is หญิง is a girl.

In this context, by saying "ขอบพระคุณค่ะ", although it is possible to interprete the situation as พี่ฮั้ว was the one who introduced หญิง to พี่หนึ่ง, it does not necessary mean that. The possible situation could be พี่ฮั้ว was giving her good advice or blessing her in the previous message or it could also be that พี่ฮั้ว was helping หญิง out with something that made her feel grateful. The situation is unclear here so it is impossible to make a clear cut of what is going on.

May I offer another take of the translation pls?

พี่ฮั๊ว Dear Phe-Hua:

ขอบพระคุณคะ Thank you kindly.

การเดินทางของชีวิต My life sojourn

ทำให้หญิงได้พบคนดีระหว่างทางคนนี้คะ enables me to meet this wonderful man along the way.

มีความสุขจริงๆ คะ I am levitated.

เป็นทั้งเพื่อน พี่และคุณพ่อ He is a friend, a brother and a father, all inclusive,

ที่สามารถสอนสั่งหญิงได้เวลาหญิงหลงทางคะ who is able to guide me while I err.

พี่ฮั๊ว..รู้สึกว่าตน เองมีบุญจริงๆ ที่ๆได้รู้จักพี่หนึ่ง Brother Hua, I feel I am truly blessed to have known Brother N (หนี่ง).

Truly most grateful to Thailand, The beloved King and Queen and her citizen to allow us to live here for so long.... already.