Cambodia Is Nice This Time Of Year!

BOOKEMDANO

Hello,

Whilst I am still busy with my Open University degree I quite fancy giving Cambodia a go for a term. I have never taught there - only been to the country twice on for a short holiday - but wondered what your experiences of the place were when it came to looking for work as an English teacher?

I am only looking for work term work, and the hear say of the place says, 'that it is very easy to find work' and with half the bureaucratic nonsense of its neighbouring nemesis.

Any sites to check up on? rates of pay? short term prospects?

Aw khon jap.gif

I am not sure how many people we have here who have worked in Cambodia, but perhaps a few will come along with some information. If you don't receive any information in the next day or so, let me or a mod know and we can move it to the S.E. Asian forum.

We don't allow the same topic running in two different forums.

Best of luck, and the information may be of interest to quite a few posters.

No information thus far Scott,

Would be interesting to get some information or advice from those who have worked which- evidently based on the number or replies this post has received - has accommodated very few teachers; I wonder why though.

The population is over 13 million and retains the same friendly warmth we have come to know and love as its larger neighbour, it has a decent stretch of ocean with nice beaches, food is on par with that of Thai food, and, from what I have learnt, it is easier to procure property and a work permit over there, even residency status after a few years, and with around 15 international schools in might be worth a little more consideration.

Still, it somehow lacks the appeal of Thailand and the thousands of teachers this country draws in to its system each term. Why?

I am not sure how many people we have here who have worked in Cambodia, but perhaps a few will come along with some information.

Best of luck, and the information may be of interest to quite a few posters.

I am not sure why there is more of a response. I can only speculate that because this forum focuses on Thailand, it isn't of much interest to people in Cambodia. There is a fair number of threads on visa issues, work permits and other regulations that are specific to Thailand and of little interest to those in Cambodia.

My experience of teachers who have left Thailand and went to Cambodia (and Vietnam) to work, is limited to a few people who basically failed in their endeavors in Thailand. I know two teachers and neither of them had a Bachelor's degree. Both were pretty heavy drinkers and were known to miss work on occasion because of it. Both were in their late 20's to early 30's so they may have settled down a bit.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Cambodia, but when I've been there, I enjoyed the country and wouldn't be opposed to living/working there. I do know that internet connection can be a little iffy.

I think that on the whole, Cambodia pays quite well and the cost of living is quite low. Maybe Cambodia is well kept secret and those that are there don't want to let the cat out of the bag and get an influx of teachers!

...Maybe Cambodia is well kept secret and those that are there don't want to let the cat out of the bag and get an influx of teachers!

Those were my initial thoughts too Scott.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject by the way as this does leave a rather interesting 'void' on the subject.

Salary is currently about $10 per hour ,less $1 tax and less medical certificate at Pannasastra Uni in PP.

Forum rules may forbid naming another ex-pat forum but I will add it at the bottom so that mods can delete if they wish.

This forum has a multitude of threads re careers and teaching in Cambodia.Alternatively you can email me for the forum info.

Khmer 440 forum.

Salary is currently about $10 per hour ,less $1 tax and less medical certificate at Pannasastra Uni in PP.

Forum rules may forbid naming another ex-pat forum but I will add it at the bottom so that mods can delete if they wish.

This forum has a multitude of threads re careers and teaching in Cambodia.Alternatively you can email me for the forum info.

Khmer 440 forum.

biggrin.gif

I am not sure why there is more of a response. I can only speculate that because this forum focuses on Thailand, it isn't of much interest to people in Cambodia. There is a fair number of threads on visa issues, work permits and other regulations that are specific to Thailand and of little interest to those in Cambodia.

My experience of teachers who have left Thailand and went to Cambodia (and Vietnam) to work, is limited to a few people who basically failed in their endeavors in Thailand. I know two teachers and neither of them had a Bachelor's degree. Both were pretty heavy drinkers and were known to miss work on occasion because of it. Both were in their late 20's to early 30's so they may have settled down a bit.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Cambodia, but when I've been there, I enjoyed the country and wouldn't be opposed to living/working there. I do know that internet connection can be a little iffy.

I think that on the whole, Cambodia pays quite well and the cost of living is quite low. Maybe Cambodia is well kept secret and those that are there don't want to let the cat out of the bag and get an influx of teachers!

My experience of teachers who have left Thailand and went to Cambodia (and Vietnam) to work, is limited to a few people who basically failed in their endeavors in Thailand. I know two teachers and neither of them had a Bachelor's degree. Both were pretty heavy drinkers and were known to miss work on occasion because of it

Aye, some things never change! :( As if the poor old Cambodians haven't had enough cra* to deal with!!

Checked out that forum, and whilst it is quite lively, and I'm not saying that money is my main motivation here, but it seems the salary on offer there if fairly paltry in comparison to a lot of the schools here in Thailand; one of the deciding factors maybe?

Also, plenty of moaning with this government tax + health insurance requirement too.

So far early observations are that of a two tier system: those with proper teaching credentials earning a comparable salary to any decent international school in Thailand, and those who lack these prerequisites for an 'easier' chance to land a job that 'asks no questions tells no lies' basis.

I spent alot of time in cambo before landing here. Most work is to be found in PP, not really any gov school jobs so you are left with private schools and colleges, there is also lots of work to be had in the garment factories surrounding the capitol. Wages are comparable to thailand but cost of living in PP is much higher due to many years of ngo's and religious groups showering the locals with absurd amounts of money. Good things are no visa hassle !!!, owning cars or property is straight forward, taxes ? not much, lots of western products to choose from unlike here (beer mmm). Corruption same-same only not as blatant. I would go to battambong if I was going back, very up n coming area in need of english language training. Overall I think khmer people are much more accomodating of westerners and have a better work and learning attitude. I guess when you have been thru what they have the last 50 years it makes you hungry for something better.

I spent alot of time in cambo before landing here. Most work is to be found in PP, not really any gov school jobs so you are left with private schools and colleges, there is also lots of work to be had in the garment factories surrounding the capitol. Wages are comparable to thailand but cost of living in PP is much higher due to many years of ngo's and religious groups showering the locals with absurd amounts of money.

Interesting, especially the part about battambang. Dare I ask, why did you leave Cambodian then or was it simple because it was becoming more expensive?

I spent most of 2008 and 2009 in Camboida. Had an apt on the tonle sap river ( the other side of PP) and travelled with my thai car all over the country and loved it. I agree that there are less hassles living there as far a visa and no work permits and it is a nice place to hang for awhile. The Cambodians are generaly a nicer group of people and english is spoken at a higher level than thailand ( even with all these so called uinversity students with english degrees.

owning cars or property is straight forward
owning cars is easy (its easy in Thailand as well)but there is not as much selection ( Toyota seems to be the main auto there) BUT as a Barang( Farang) you cannot own porperty but u get a 90 year lease vs 30 here in Thailand

Cambodian want to learn where as thais.... well we all know about that.

Easy to find english teaching job s but u start at a few hours/week and work ur way up. Turn over is very high and its same as here, no creditenals bad pay and long hours. $10/hour to start. Teaching at Norhtridge ( the big international school in PP ) will earn u very good money comparable to teaching at any internatiopnal school in Thailand but thats about the only one.

It wont cost more than Thailand but it all depends on ur life style.

If u live eat local food and find a nice place for $200/month ( yes they are available in PP) u can get by on less than u could in Bangkok. Many imported foods are cheaper in PP than Thailand even thought they come from thailand as there is no tax. Cigs and beer are both cheaper as is wiskey

Give it 5-7 years and it wont be like this as in the past 4 years it has changed alot.

Battambang is laid back and also give Kep and kampopt a visit.

Only reaosn i am not still there is my thai/farang daughter did not want to live in Cambodia. Another year here than she is off to america and i will be back to Cambodia :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

I've taught at 3 schools in Phnom Penh. The pay is $10-11 an hour. The work isn't too demanding.

Getting a job isn't too hard - for example Westline School were looking for teachers recently.

Phnom Penh is chaotic, dirty & crime-ridden compared to Thailand.

On the other hand getting and keeping a visa is devoid of the usual Thai nightmare.

I spent most of 2008 and 2009 in Camboida. Had an apt on the tonle sap river ( the other side of PP) and travelled with my thai car all over the country and loved it. I agree that there are less hassles living there as far a visa and no work permits and it is a nice place to hang for awhile. The Cambodians are generaly a nicer group of people and english is spoken at a higher level than thailand ( even with all these so called uinversity students with english degrees.

owning cars or property is straight forward
owning cars is easy (its easy in Thailand as well)but there is not as much selection ( Toyota seems to be the main auto there) BUT as a Barang( Farang) you cannot own porperty but u get a 90 year lease vs 30 here in Thailand

Cambodian want to learn where as thais.... well we all know about that.

Easy to find english teaching job s but u start at a few hours/week and work ur way up. Turn over is very high and its same as here, no creditenals bad pay and long hours. $10/hour to start. Teaching at Norhtridge ( the big international school in PP ) will earn u very good money comparable to teaching at any internatiopnal school in Thailand but thats about the only one.

It wont cost more than Thailand but it all depends on ur life style.

If u live eat local food and find a nice place for $200/month ( yes they are available in PP) u can get by on less than u could in Bangkok. Many imported foods are cheaper in PP than Thailand even thought they come from thailand as there is no tax. Cigs and beer are both cheaper as is wiskey

Give it 5-7 years and it wont be like this as in the past 4 years it has changed alot.

Battambang is laid back and also give Kep and kampopt a visit.

Only reaosn i am not still there is my thai/farang daughter did not want to live in Cambodia. Another year here than she is off to america and i will be back to Cambodia :-)

Very useful info and thank for taking the time out to share that too...

I have since started to consider Korea as an option as that seems to be the place to go in order to save money but then the cost if living is also something that needs consideration.

Overall I think khmer people are much more accomodating of westerners and have a better work and learning attitude.

I think this is evident in any neighbouring country when leaving Thailand. It's why Thailand is constantly falling lower and lower in the region.

Last time I was in Cambo I was walking along an average street at 7pm and every single shophouse had the front open and a teacher with one or two students inside either studying a language or maths or science. Every single one.

I've never once seen this attitude to education in Thailand.