Oooh! Big Bad Harley Riders

JSixpack

True story, happened today. I was riding down Soi Post Office at a very reasonable speed for that soi when these BIG BAD Harley riders drove behind constantly revving and blasting. So? I ignored all the noise (you get used to noise in Thailand) and turned out into 2nd Rd. into the middle of the far right lane, as I intended to park on that side a bit further down.

Suddenly I got cut off by the first Harley driver, who wanted to turn into Soi Diana! Really poor driving. I had to brake hard to avoid hitting him. FWIW, I honked my little Phantom horn at him. He gave an arrogant glance back; fat, rather short guy, de rigueur beanie helmet.

Then his partner pulls up beside me as closely as possible, as if to push me over, and starts revving his engine! "Move over, motherfu_ker!" he yelled in a 'Mercan accent. What? Move over? I wasn't goin' anywhere. "You move over."

At that point we'd reached a car in the lane and I sped up ahead of him and moved into the left lane to go around the car. Glancing back, I saw that he turned into Soi Diana also.

Silliest thing I've seen in a while. Idiot Harley drivers, brains still at the airport, thinking they own the road in Thailand.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had a problem with the Cruiser Boyz myself. Scared the crap out of a guy on a HD when I was blasting...ahem, cough, cough...riding through the hills from Chiang Rai to Mai Suai. I pulled in at my regular gas station at Mui Suai and a bit later so did the guy on the HD, but he never came over and gave me sh*t. I am always quite the hit at the 7-11 there though. Camera phones out, girls standing beside the bike. The Hd rider had no one near his bike which was a bit amusing, considering it was a nice bike.

Pissed myself earlier in the week. The wife and I were sat at an outside restaurant during the day. It was tranquil and everyone seemed to be very relaxed and having a good time at the ocean side. Then all of a sudden we heard this clattering of a 'Hog" approaching, completely killing the atmosphere. yes you guessed it the Harley was coming. This guy who was 65 if a day rode up to the restaurant and parked right next to the occupied tables. His chick jumped off the bike and he more or less slid off the seat after revving the shit out of the bike and walked into the bar like John Wayne. It was all I could do to stay on my seat as I was laughing that much. Everyone else was sniggering at this guy. then silence arrived again thank god.

About an hour later he and Bonnie came back to the bike slowly mounted, revved and fled off into the distance. Everyone at this point was in stitches including the staff.

what a prick!

Cheers, Rick

You mean to tell me that a harley can actually get up to 60kph?? All noise and nothing else. Can never work out why anyone would want one?

It's all part of the gidup, motorcycle, bandana, leather jacket, ponytail, and stupid tee shirt.

You mean to tell me that a harley can actually get up to 60kph?? All noise and nothing else. Can never work out why anyone would want one?

It's all part of the gidup, motorcycle, bandana, leather jacket, ponytail, and stupid tee shirt.

I saw a clothing/body adornment item in the US for cruiser riders, a false pony tail. I thought you have got to be sh#tting me! I laughed my arse off :lol:

Edited by Garry

I saw a clothing/body adornment item in the US for cruiser riders, a false pony tail. I thought you have got to be sh#tting me! I laughed my arse off :lol:

WOW some tough talk coming from guys hiding behind there computers LOL

I am sure you were laughing under your breathe but dont think for a second you would have the gusto to do it to the guys face.

I beleive its called jelousy why else would you have a problem with someone riding a Harley ?? because its noisy ?

I think its all in ya mind boys and as for the OPs post a little sad i think.

DK

Never had a problem with the Cruiser Boyz myself. Scared the crap out of a guy on a HD when I was blasting...ahem, cough, cough...riding through the hills from Chiang Rai to Mai Suai. I pulled in at my regular gas station at Mui Suai and a bit later so did the guy on the HD, but he never came over and gave me sh*t. I am always quite the hit at the 7-11 there though. Camera phones out, girls standing beside the bike. The Hd rider had no one near his bike which was a bit amusing, considering it was a nice bike.

What happened to comraderie on the road ?? you sound like a right pompus ass I ride with all sorts whomever likes riding there bike, i ride a 1000cc chopper some good mates ride street bikes that leave me in the dust ,but you know what we all enjoy ridiing and dont have any of that pompus BS your spouting.

DK

What happened to comraderie on the road ?? you sound like a right pompus ass I ride with all sorts whomever likes riding there bike, i ride a 1000cc chopper some good mates ride street bikes that leave me in the dust ,but you know what we all enjoy ridiing and dont have any of that pompus BS your spouting.

DK

Most sportsbike riders are genuine and don't feel the need to wear false tattoo's,pony tails or beards.Oh yeh and think their 10 men.

DK

Most sportsbike riders are genuine and don't feel the need to wear false tattoo's,pony tails or beards.Oh yeh and think their 10 men.

Well the sportsbike riders i ride with I tend to agree (really great guys) but based on the posts by the ones on here I doubt it very much as they come across worse than your view of Harley riders.

By the way I have never seen a biker with fake tatoos nor a fake ponytail not even a fake beard you are obviously reffering to some other group possibly people you hang with that are fake

DK

Edited by DiamondKing

Its really a shame that this BS is showing its face here I really have not seen this type of BS in the 5 years of riding in Thailand and thought it was just an attitude left in the USA the riceburner Harley mentality, competition.

i have rode all over Thailand and not once have I had any issue with any bike no matter if he was on a streetbike or a wave as long as he enjoyed riding its all good.

When I came to Thailand I was really surprised everyone was easy going none of the BS of those rice burner boys or oh those AH Harley guys it seemed that anyone who enjoyed riding there bike was welcome no matter what they were riding.

Well you guys obviously burst the bubble and it seem that its the rice burner boys that are the instigators and that is a shame why cant you just enjoy your riding without having a go at other Bikers no matter what they are riding.

I know some great guys, some ride harleys some ride street bikes I also know some <deleted> some ride Harleys some ride streetbikes.

Anyone that rides a bike is cool with me and to generalize just shows how small minded you are.

DK

Its really a shame that this BS is showing its face here I really have not seen this type of BS in the 5 years of riding in Thailand and thought it was just an attitude left in the USA the riceburner Harley mentality, competition.

i have rode all over Thailand and not once have I had any issue with any bike no matter if he was on a streetbike or a wave as long as he enjoyed riding its all good.

When I came to Thailand I was really surprised everyone was easy going none of the BS of those rice burner boys or oh those AH Harley guys it seemed that anyone who enjoyed riding there bike was welcome no matter what they were riding.

Well you guys obviously burst the bubble and it seem that its the rice burner boys that are the instigators and that is a shame why cant you just enjoy your riding without having a go at other Bikers no matter what they are riding.

I know some great guys, some ride harleys some ride street bikes I also know some <deleted> some ride Harleys some ride streetbikes.

Anyone that rides a bike is cool with me and to generalize just shows how small minded you are.

DK

Good points and well said.

Thailand is one of the few places I've been where you can show up at a bike rally on anything- Rocket, Tractor or Scooter and nobody cares. All are welcome. Gotta love it!

(So it is a shame that there are still some guys out there that feel the need to prove something... :whistling:)

Ride On!

Tony

I,ve no problem with any other type of bike riders it's just the persona of HD/chopper bikers.To me it equals a group of sportsbike riders all shaving their heads,growing curly moustaches and wearing pink leathers.:) The

problem is some guy's actually think their hel_l's Angels,on the weekends off work mostly.

I,ve no problem with any other type of bike riders it's just the persona of HD/chopper bikers.To me it equals a group of sportsbike riders all shaving their heads,growing curly moustaches and wearing pink leathers.:) The

problem is some guy's actually think their hel_l's Angels,on the weekends off work mostly.

DUDE it just a style, no different to you streetbikers dressing up in your nice tight leather pants and jacket gloves nice booties etc for your streetbike it just style and while I would never be caught dead in that type of get up I understand and accept that is your style for the type of bike you like to ride not to mention the safety aspect of it, but i certainaly would not knock it nor you for wearing it

Just because you don't like the style of us chopper riders is it really appropriate to diss on them for the way they dress or because of the look they want to portray just as you do ???

All sounds a bit childish to me

DK

P.S I dont work :D

DUDE it just a style, no different to you streetbikers dressing up in your nice tight leather pants and jacket gloves nice booties etc for your streetbike it just style and while I would never be caught dead in that type of get up I understand and accept that is your style for the type of bike you like to ride not to mention the safety aspect of it, but i certainaly would not knock it nor you for wearing it

Just because you don't like the style of us chopper riders is it really appropriate to diss on them for the way they dress or because of the look they want to portray just as you do ???

All sounds a bit childish to me

DK

P.S I dont work :D

Neither do I. It's only in jest pal:)

My first big bike experience was a ride to Alice's in Woodside, California on my Yamaha YZF600R with a group of sportbikes. Alice's is a very well known meeting place at the junction of four endlessly twisting roads near the top of the coastal range of mountains south of San Francisco. It's a motorcycling icon going back to the 70's.

I remember meeting some Harley Guys there dressed like 1%'s. They of course looked nothing like us in our Alpine Star Jackets, Arai helmets and Sidi boots. When someone mentioned that it was my first ride, one of them shook my hand and with a broad toothy smile said, "Now that your on two wheels, your part of the brotherhood."

It's unfair to imply all HD riders are like the two A-holes described by the OP. Dicks are dicks no matter what they ride, this is true in Thailand and the rest of the world. If these guys knew they were getting all this attention on Thaivisa, they would be ROTFL. Some of the nicest guys I have met in the motorcycle community here in Phuket are guys on HD's.

I sort of feel the same and sort of don't... I love riding Thailand, group of guys out on the road together, lots of different bikes... I can love an old BSA, a retro Triumph, and an ER6N on the track (Hi BigBikeBKK)... could probably even appreciate a HD if they weren't all but identical :D ...

but... (there is always a but)...

I don't like the Harley mentality that seems to have transferred itself to Thailand... have to be loud, have to be offensive, have to ride in a massive group and take over the road... and it isn't restricted to farang...

Day 5 of a 5 day ride last year we stopped for a break for lunch in a nice restaurant in Peaceful Phayo when a big group of Thai HD riders came in on their way to CM Bike Week... three laps through town revving their engines, reverse into spots, rev rev rev, storm into the restaurant ordering the staff around...

That is the behaviour that makes them so despised in Oz, and which will lead to the same feelings in Thailand... That and whenever I tell someone that I love riding in Thailand the question is "you have chopper???"... no, I like to go fast :lol:

I do like that often the sports riders and harley guys group together because they all ride "big bikes" and give each other a bit of friendly harassment... same as Brit bike and Jap bikes do...

Daewoo

Never had a problem with the Cruiser Boyz myself. Scared the crap out of a guy on a HD when I was blasting...ahem, cough, cough...riding through the hills from Chiang Rai to Mai Suai. I pulled in at my regular gas station at Mai Suai and a bit later so did the guy on the HD, but he never came over and gave me sh*t. I am always quite the hit at the 7-11 there though. Camera phones out, girls standing beside the bike. The Hd rider had no one near his bike which was a bit amusing, considering it was a nice bike.

DK

DK,

It had nothing to with camaraderie. I'll stop for any rider caught alone on the road, accident or break down. As for having some fun, we each have our own definition of fun.. I might be pompous because I love my bike, riding the hills and roads of this biking paradise country, but I never BS. It was a fact that it happened.

Tell me you have never buzzed someone else riding or that you take pride it what you have and feel even better when your machine gets the center of attention?

As for the Harley Vs the world thing, it will always be around and its all good fun or haven't you noticed? The Harley guys give the Sports bikes guys as much sh*t as they get given and most see it in light humor that it is meant and more of a common understanding that some things will never change.

Why are you're quoting my false pony tail comment under tough talk??? It was the truth, factual and I thought it was as funny as hel_l. If you have no hair, so what!? If you're wearing it as a joke, I can see the humor. if you're wearing it because you want to be part of the crew or the image well it sounds kind of weird, but so be it, your call. Still funny though and THAT was all I was laughing at.

Some people are just plain too bloody serious and need to take a chill pill.

Have a nice one :jap: B)

ps: did you notice that I did say that I have never had a problem with the Cruiser Boyz myself?

Edited by Garry

I sort of feel the same and sort of don't... I love riding Thailand, group of guys out on the road together, lots of different bikes... I can love an old BSA, a retro Triumph, and an ER6N on the track (Hi BigBikeBKK)... could probably even appreciate a HD if they weren't all but identical :D ...

but... (there is always a but)...

I don't like the Harley mentality that seems to have transferred itself to Thailand... have to be loud, have to be offensive, have to ride in a massive group and take over the road... and it isn't restricted to farang...

Day 5 of a 5 day ride last year we stopped for a break for lunch in a nice restaurant in Peaceful Phayo when a big group of Thai HD riders came in on their way to CM Bike Week... three laps through town revving their engines, reverse into spots, rev rev rev, storm into the restaurant ordering the staff around...

That is the behaviour that makes them so despised in Oz, and which will lead to the same feelings in Thailand... That and whenever I tell someone that I love riding in Thailand the question is "you have chopper???"... no, I like to go fast :lol:

I do like that often the sports riders and harley guys group together because they all ride "big bikes" and give each other a bit of friendly harassment... same as Brit bike and Jap bikes do...

Daewoo

I can undertstand you

there is a local bar i go to and my bike is Loud and the bar is in a small soi and I have to pass to park the bike and I SPECIFICALLY idle it to run past the bars and park up the bike and when i leave I again start the bike up try not to rev but idle out onto the main st and off i go, other bikers that frequent the bar dont they rev there bikes and tear off like a bat out of hel_l and yes people tend to look down on that even I do as its not cool.

I like loud pipes many times i notice car drivers take note I am there only because of my pipes or of they dont a quick rev and they soon know I am and are aware of me.

I can understand they can be obnoxious but i also believe loud pipes save lives.

DK