Uk - Ilr

Hi all,

It's been a while of bliss without having to worry about any lengthy and stressful visa applications... but all good things come to an end.. and now it is time for ILR application!

My wife has completed her Life in the UK Test, I'm slightly confused as to whether or not she has to complete the ESOL level 3 course?

I have to send off my passport or birth certificate as her spouse, I lost my original birth certificate a few years back, is a copy from the extract of births sufficient? I have that already but it's a copy of the original hand written birth certificate, is this ok to use?

If not, and I send my passport, would I be able to get it back before the application is processed as I understand it takes quite a while? I work abroad on a rotational basis so this isn't really an option if I have to send it away for any more than a month.

What kind of documentation will I require? My wife only really has payslips saying she's at my address, I paid all the bills etc out of my bank account. I understand however I should have put her name on the bills but unfortunately, it's a little late for that.

Any other tips would be appreciated, I searched through the threads on here but can't find a definitive explanation on a UK ILR application... there probably is one so if anyone can find it or knows where it is that would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Shug

If your wife has passed the LitUK test then she does not need to have completed an ESOL with citizenship course as well; it's either one or the other.

Your (and everyone's) original birth certificate is the actual entry in the register, so anything that you obtain from the registrar will be headed as a "Certified Copy." This is fine.

For other tips, documents required etc., see Completing application form SET(M).

Ask the local council to put your wife on the bill for council tax. They will usually do it over the phone and send written confirmation within a day or two!

Is your wife registered with the local GP? You should have a registration letter somewhere - if not they may be happy to send a copy confirming she is registered at the practice!

Letters from friends and relatives confirming she is living with you at the home address will do no harm. I don't think they are trying to catch you out but are simply ticking boxes - just do anything you can to help them tick the boxes.

It all helps!

when my wife applied, we did it in person, and the staff had a form with the 2 years split into rows of periods of time, i can not remember how many months each row covered, it was also divided into his and hers columns, as the staff member checked each document, he ticked a column and row for that part of the two year period.

Things in individual or joint name that might help to show you have been living together for the 2 years, spread over the whole 2 year period.

letters from doctor/hospital

letters from bank/building soc

council tax

utility bills

any letters sent from family/friends

mobile phone bills

delivery slips for goods bought tesco home delivery, furniture etc.

good luck

The bill can be in one name or joint names. Having it in one name is not a problem as long as one is not claiming the single occupants discount when one shouldn't be!

As the OP's wife is about to apply for her ILR, it is too late now to arrange joint bills etc; This should have been done 2 years ago. However, as can be seen from the list on Form SET(M), providing the necessary number of documents is, for most people, not too difficult.

Photos are not required.