Poipet Visa Trip Nightmare (repost)

Important Note: This is a re-post of my original thread made on July 16h, after my visa run. The original thread was moved/removed by the moderators due to commercial advertisement by another forum user, as i've been told.

well, my visa (which i got 3 months ago in HongKong within less than a day) was expiring once again (tomorrow, actually), so i decided to take the 'Express' bus from Jack's Golf this morning at 5:30am and head for the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border for a quick renewal. i used their service twice before last year and was always very satisfied. now, after we left this early morning, which started on-time and everything seemed to go well, we got onto the highway when the guy with the microphone came up and said "ladies and gentlement, we have some problems...". oh great. to keep the story short, he said that Thaksin replaced the "big boss" at the Thai Immigration border to fight corruptio and they couldn't do the visa for us that quickly anymore. in fact, they couldn't help at all.

immediately, lots of people started complaining when they came around to collect the 2000 baht tour fee. i was a little amazed not to get at least a discount, but didn't say anything. after all, there are signs everywhere on the bus and its written in their ads that they will handle all the paperwork and visa renewals for this fee, which is the main reason so many people take the service anyway. but anyways, i don't say anything and we go to the border. everything goes quite smooth until we get to Aranyaprathet/Poipet. to my shock, there's a huge amount of people, seriously about 400+ and more coming every second, waiting at the border to only get the exit stamp. of course, its a holiday today and its likely because of that. so we stand almost 3 (yes, three) hours in the hot sun, moving forward about 2 feet every 20 minutes. sometime after 1 1/2 hours, Jack's Golf starts handing out water and cookies for the group, which was greatly appreciated. once inside the building, we all witness the Immigration officials stamping the departure stamps into the passports at a rate of about 1 person every 2-3 minutes. no wonder we just spent almost 3 hours waiting.

but anyways, not complaining here, its their way on how they run things, its just sad to see. again, keeping things short, we go on to the hotel to get a quick (10 minutes) lunch at the buffet and head back to the border. me and several others were told that Jack's Golf would be waiting at the border with our passports (which they collected after getting our departure stamps), so we start walking the 1 kilometer back to the border, where we do find a guy from Jack's Golf, but he doesn't have any passports. so again we start waiting behind a crowd of about 50 people, which is far less than before, but then again, the stamps are being issued there at a rate of about one every 5-7 minutes. while we're getting closer and closer to the window, the guy finally shows up with the passports (after about another 30 minutes of waiting) and we get our visa stamps within the next 20 minutes or so.

we get back to Bangkok at about 5:30pm after having left at 5:30am. the night before i left (in fact, 6 hours before), i called Jack's Golf on their mobile number and confirmed things would go smoothly and they said yes and said they would be back at 1:30pm or 2pm the latest.

now, i'm not complaining about Thai Immigration. i realize that previously things were done with some money under the table to speed up things and it'll likely start again once the officials notice that they can make some additional cash every day by doing this. but i AM complaining about Jack's Golf on the following points:

1. Don't say the night before that everything would go smoothly if you in fact know it won't. That was a complete lie. I called at 10pm to confirm everything was going to go smoothly and at 5:30am they say the "big boss" was replaced. Sorry, they knew that the night before. Would i have known this, i would have taken the next airplane out and back into Thailand, which would have been a lot easier than over 4 hours standing in the sun and a 12 hours trip.

2. Don't charge the full price if you're not able to offer the service you promise and advertise. I don't care if its 10 or 1000 baht discount, but its about the ethics.

i don't know how many people on this forum went on this morning's trip, but if you did, feel free to comment on here. if any of you plan on making the above trip within the next weeks, think about it again. there are easier ways to do it.

:o

I had exactly the same problem the day after the OP, on the 17th. I'd used Jack's Golf before and it was all very smooth, no hassles and I was happy to use them again.

However, as the OP mentioned, a girl made some sort of announcement in quite poor English that I could not follow, but it was to the effect that while they used to take the passports to get an exit stamp before, they could not do it now as the officials had to see the passport-holder in person.

What they did NOT say was that we would have a HUGE wait to leave - 2 1/2 hours in our case - and it was in the blazing sun. Also we were told that we would have to stand in the 'alien passort' queue, and could not go in the Thai nationals queue. There was one desk open for aliens, and two for Thais. The alien desk chap seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic and took forever to process each passport. Eventually, Western and other non-national people started to use the Thai desks and got through OK, but it was frustrating for us who'd waited in the alien queue to see them speed through. And the number of Thai-Chinese people who barged their way to the front all them time was VERY annoyng - they were ###### rude.

Again, we had a hurried lunch in Cambodia (where there were no plates and glasses available for us for a good 10-15 minutes) and then went back to the Thai border.

We waited an hour and a half to return into Thailand, not helped by the Jack's Golf staff bringing the passports in dribs and drabs.

There was a sort-of apology on the bus later, and they said they would have to try to do something soon or they'd lose business. However, they did take the 2,000 baht from us BEFORE telling us that we would have to queue up ourselves, NOR did they tell us the length of time we'd have to stand about, both in and out.

So they knew about it all the time, eh? They must have done from the day before - I think a 500 baht refund is about right. They should lower their prices now, as they do not provide the same service as before.

I may as well go by train for 45 baht next time, if I have to do everything myself anyway. All they did this time was to fill in the forms for us, and I can do that anyway.

Ok, so you got back to BKK 3.5 hours late. I'm sure it wasn't fun, but hardly what I'd call a nightmare. Since my WP expired I've been going to Singapore on airasia (if you book far in advance, it's just a little more than poipet).

Ok, so you got back to BKK 3.5 hours late. I'm sure it wasn't fun, but hardly what I'd call a nightmare. Since my WP expired I've been going to Singapore on airasia (if you book far in advance, it's just a little more than poipet).

the real issue is not the time you get back, but the time you spend standing in the sun for 3+ hours without being to move more than 2 inches with hundreds of people around you and the fact that they're still charging for a "visa run" when its really a "trip to the border and back" which you can do yourself for a few hundred baht.

Also we were told that we would have to stand in the 'alien passort' queue, and could not go in the Thai nationals queue.  There was one desk open for aliens, and two for Thais.  The alien desk chap seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic and took forever to process each passport.

Sounds a lot like what happens to me when I go through Heathrow (except for the blazing sun bit) :o I get to stand there while all these EU'ers are whizzing past in their fast track line with barely a glance at their passports, while we 'other passport' holders are stuck in a meandering line that ends up at a usually grumpy and pedantic immigration officer who will give me the third degree for going for a weekend to Paris!! :D

Also we were told that we would have to stand in the 'alien passort' queue, and could not go in the Thai nationals queue.  There was one desk open for aliens, and two for Thais.  The alien desk chap seemed a few sandwiches short of a picnic and took forever to process each passport.

Sounds a lot like what happens to me when I go through Heathrow (except for the blazing sun bit) :o I get to stand there while all these EU'ers are whizzing past in their fast track line with barely a glance at their passports, while we 'other passport' holders are stuck in a meandering line that ends up at a usually grumpy and pedantic immigration officer who will give me the third degree for going for a weekend to Paris!! :D

you know, i have a funny story about Heathrow. two years ago i flew from Toronto, Canada to London, then from London to Madrid, Spain (all connecting flights). when i walked out of the airport in Madrid after my nearly 24 hour flight i still had my passport in my hands - none of these airports ever checked it, except when boarding in Toronto. London didn't check me because i went on to Madrid and Madrid didnt check my because i came from an EU country. funny? weird? security hole? surely...but i think London should have checked me because that was the first arrival point in the EU. anyways, this is off topic :D

you know, i have a funny story about Heathrow. two years ago i flew from Toronto, Canada to London, then from London to Madrid, Spain (all connecting flights). when i walked out of the airport in Madrid after my nearly 24 hour flight i still had my passport in my hands - none of these airports ever checked it, except when boarding in Toronto. London didn't check me because i went on to Madrid and Madrid didnt check my because i came from an EU country. funny? weird? security hole? surely...but i think London should have checked me because that was the first arrival point in the EU. anyways, this is off topic  :D

Off topic again

I never get my passport stamped/checked as i enter/exit any EU country only a brief check by border security between Italy and Switzerland and before boarding planes.

Fyi, my passport is not from any of the EU country.

Explorer :o

Important Note:

2. Don't charge the full price if you're not able to offer the service you promise and advertise. I don't care if its 10 or 1000 baht discount, but its about the ethics.

Rainman, totally agree with you, the tea money JG used to give out was 200 baht per head. they should charge you 1,800 baht, and they should change their advertisement as well, 5:30 to 1:30; 7:00 to 3:50. sounds like a dream now.

Important Note:

Rainman, totally agree with you, the tea money JG used to give out was 200 baht per head. they should charge you 1,800 baht, and they should change their advertisement as well, 5:30 to 1:30; 7:00 to 3:50. sounds like a dream now.

Maybe most of the tea money now goes to pay for the higher fuel cost?

Important Note:

it can't be that much, it is 1 litre for 3 kms, for 500 kms round way trip, just costs them 1,500 baht more since diesel went up from 15 to 24 baht, shares by 30 passengers, it is only 50 baht each.

Important Note:

it can't be that much, it is 1 litre for 3 kms, for 500 kms round way trip, just costs them 1,500 baht more since diesel went up from 15 to 24 baht, shares by 30 passengers, it is only 50 baht each.

That may be ok if they get 30 pax per day and perhaps they do get that many of a weekend. I honestly don't know, but what about during weekdays when perhaps they're only getting 3-4 pax? Someone has to bear operational costs for the slack days.

you know, i have a funny story about Heathrow. two years ago i flew from Toronto, Canada to London, then from London to Madrid, Spain (all connecting flights). when i walked out of the airport in Madrid after my nearly 24 hour flight i still had my passport in my hands - none of these airports ever checked it, except when boarding in Toronto. London didn't check me because i went on to Madrid and Madrid didnt check my because i came from an EU country. funny? weird? security hole? surely...but i think London should have checked me because that was the first arrival point in the EU. anyways, this is off topic  :D

I never get my passport stamped/checked as i enter/exit any EU country only a brief check by border security between Italy and Switzerland and before boarding planes.

Fyi, my passport is not from any of the EU country.

Explorer :o

Well, the UK and Ireland have their own common travel area and inbound immigration controls which isn’t part of the Schengen common border which is found on the continent.

That is why when travelling on the continent, you are unlikely to be checked moving between countries. If it does exist, it tends to be cursory.

However, when entering (not transiting) the UK, either from inside or outside the EU, everyone passes through a formal immigration channel, where someone like ole’ Scouser will be sitting there to determine your length of stay…..

Edited by samran

when I have to do a visa run to poi pet I use a taxi - I negotiate with one beforehand to do the return trip for 2500 baht and arrange for them to pick me up from my residence at 4am. With that I know I will arrive at the border by 0730 ( beating the traffic while crossing bangkok ) . I did a visa run last wednesday and was standing in line at 0720 , though still there was about 20 people in front of me , all seemed to be cambodians with passports. I did the full walk around in 45 minutes and was back at home by 1200. The round trip distance is 500 klms. I would not contemplate doing a visa run on the weekend.

though this is a bit more expensive than doing it with someone like JG , after factoring in the cost of aa return taxi to the JG meeting point and the extra time because of the group size I am happy to pay the extra for the convience.

With the cheap flights to singapore I have thought about that option but have never followed it through.

when I have to do a visa run to poi pet I use a taxi - I negotiate with one beforehand to do the return trip for 2500 baht and arrange for them to pick me up from my residence at 4am. With that I know I will arrive at the border by 0730 ( beating the traffic while crossing bangkok ) . I did a visa run last wednesday and was standing in line at 0720 , though still there was about 20 people in front of me , all seemed to be cambodians with passports. I did the full walk around in 45 minutes and was back at home by 1200. The round trip distance is 500 klms. I would not contemplate doing a visa run on the weekend.

though this is a bit more expensive than doing it with someone like JG , after factoring in the cost of aa return taxi to the JG meeting point and the extra time because of the group size I am happy to pay the extra for the convience.

With the cheap flights to singapore I have thought about that option but have never followed it through.

Apart from 2,500 baht limo service, do you have to pay the fuel?

That is not a bad bet at all considering you avoid the chaos of arriving there later in the day. Sounds to be well worth the extra few baht. As for the Singapore flight thing, I have done this and it's a royal pain in the tucus. I left at 6am and returned more that 18 hours later after midnite. It was the longest day of my life. The cost was not that low either after factoring in all the taxes involved which bring the tab over 4k. then if you stay over night, tack on another 4k hotel. doing that run in a day is a day from he11.

Edited by The Dude

I did the border run with Jack Golf 2 days after the OP.

They still had the problem with the "new boss".

But actually, everything went smooth, and I even came back 30min earlier than my previous border run, 3 month before.

But it was on monday, not on saturday (I read on these forums to avoid week-end! :o ).

I have waited about 20 min in the room to exit Thailand (under fan, but a bit hot), and I have waited about 20 min, a part under the sun, to enter Thailand again.

Considering that 1000b is for Cambodgian visa, a 200b discount would have been more fair than the 500b proposed in previous post, imho.

This time, I didn't see the cambodgian officers, JG's team took care about all this part.

Edited by manutoo

I did the border run with Jack Golf 2 days after the OP.

They still had the problem with the "new boss".

But actually, everything went smooth, and I even came back 30min earlier than my previous border run, 3 month before.

But it was on monday, not on saturday (I read on these forums to avoid week-end! :o ).

I have waited about 20 min in the room to exit Thailand (under fan, but a bit hot), and I have waited about 20 min, a part under the sun, to enter Thailand again.

Considering that 1000b is for Cambodgian visa, a 200b discount would have been more fair than the 500b proposed in previous post, imho.

This time, I didn't see the cambodgian officers, JG's team took care about all this part.

agree, a 200 baht discount is reasonable, that's the exactly the tea money JG used to pay them anyway. But now everyone has to queue, JG doesn't have to pay them anymore, should give back to the clients.

Out of curiosity, what route to Aran/Poipet does JG take?

Bkk - Rangsit - Nakhon Nayok - Aran?

Bkk-Rama9-Motoway-Chaosengsao-Kabinburi-Sakaew-Aran!

Thanks Iain.

Seems like I would have to venture into BKK should I need to use a visa service.

I'm close to Rangsit. :o

I thought you were a PNR fan.

I am. But I doubt that visa services using PNR would go via Rangsit. Hence my enquiry about Aran/Poipet services going via Rangsit or not.

If the Poipet guys went via Rangsit then I would've considered it should I ever need to use them in the future.

A number of the government buses from Morchit stop at the bus stop opposite Robinsons Future Park Rangsit. Only 123-180 baht, usually takes about 4 hours although the bus l got the other morning at 3.50am had me in Aranyprathet by 7am. Not sure l'll be getting up so early next time but at least l was home for lunch. :o

Even if the JackGolf and other private buses are quicker, for me it's simply not worth the time it takes to trek into Bangkok to join up with them. The slower government bus and DIY visa service works out quicker if you live out Rangsit way

Might give the PNR visa run a go sometime if l have to visit my sister-in-law in Chonburi and my visa is due.