Thai Gold Compared To Euro Gold

THAIPHUKET

That is too easy, I am sure there is a differential and even if it is only in the big fees you have to pay to European banks when buying physical gold. In Europe to buy Gold is done mainly through certificates because of these high fees on physical gold. Here gold is in thousands of gold shops,an everyday commodity. The buy/sell margin I bet is much smaller.

I am sure there is someone out there who can give more profound answers.

Usually with gold stores - don't pay for the workmanship, just the weight of the gold - so that is difference between here and the west.

Not exactly true. Most gold stores will charge an additional 500-1000 bt over the gold price for a jewelry item. I will agree it is a nominal sum though.

That is too easy, I am sure there is a differential and even if it is only in the big fees you have to pay to European banks when buying physical gold. In Europe to buy Gold is done mainly through certificates because of these high fees on physical gold. Here gold is in thousands of gold shops,an everyday commodity. The buy/sell margin I bet is much smaller.

I am sure there is someone out there who can give more profound answers.

there are no high fees on gold in Europe. period!

Most gold in jewellery is not 99% as its too soft to work with. Only refined gold bars are pure and thats what you should be investing in. The international gold price applies to this type of gold.It is the same around the world. Pink gold is about 40% gold and the rest copper. Expensive gold only jewellery gets up to around 75 -85%. The stamps on the item tell you the percentage. But to my eye Thai gold jewellery looks way to yellow. I'd go for pink gold anyday because it looks better, but is not valued here. In fact thais think you are poor if you choose it.

If you are looking for an investment in gold - stick to the gold bars, bought through a large, reputable trader, not at your local jewellery store. It must have all the correct stamps and paperwork. Then leave it in a bank you trust. But do not attempt to smuggle it out of the country.

If buying, as said above buy only buy 999 bars 99.9% fine gold, buy in smaller ingot sizes, easier to dispose of quickly say 10 gram or 1/2 ounce bars.

But why would you be buying at the moment it is pretty much the top of the market for gold. Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium offer better value just at present, because of a lower demand from the automotive industry for Cat converters in cars, especially China there is still a little value to be found.

Depending on your currency maybe the effects of the rise in Gold have been insulated a little, as with Australian dollar its strength against the US so we have not been hit as bad as say the US.

Most gold in jewellery is not 99% as its too soft to work with. Only refined gold bars are pure and thats what you should be investing in. The international gold price applies to this type of gold.It is the same around the world. Pink gold is about 40% gold and the rest copper. Expensive gold only jewellery gets up to around 75 -85%. The stamps on the item tell you the percentage. But to my eye Thai gold jewellery looks way to yellow. I'd go for pink gold anyday because it looks better, but is not valued here. In fact thais think you are poor if you choose it.

If you are looking for an investment in gold - stick to the gold bars, bought through a large, reputable trader, not at your local jewellery store. It must have all the correct stamps and paperwork. Then leave it in a bank you trust. But do not attempt to smuggle it out of the country.

Isn't most Thai jewellery 96.5%? At least that is what mine has stamped on it, hence the yellow, or gold color and soft nature!

I just sold a 3 baht necklace I bought a few years ago for a very tidy profit. I will wait and see what happens to the price before buying anymore as it's so expensive now.

In central Bang Na today, they were buying for 18050 and selling for 19050 per baht of gold. It was 500 baht on top of that price for workmanship to buy a chain. I got a couple of 1 baht chains for 39100 all in. Not sure if that is good or not, but they way gold keeps going up in value, I dont think I will lose out over a few years.