Rules On The Need To Present Original Driver'S Licence

sambai

I suspect this question may have been asked before; apologies if so. Clearly it's common practice for the police to ask for a driver's licence and confiscate it. It's a practice that seems to me simply to enable them to extort money from motorists, sometimes even when the charge is a made-up lie, as is sometimes the case.

This seems to be a very arcane process in which they take the driver's licence to their station, and the motorist has to travel to that station to pay a fine and get it back. Sometimes on a very long journey, this could be highly inconvenient, or nearly impossible, invoving a de-tour, sometimes not even knowing where to go. Clearly the police know this and abuse it.

So the question is, like in the European countries I'm used to, does one legally need to carry the original licence? Can a copy be used? What is the law? Is there a traffic code that clarifies this, which can be shown to them.

I should say that they are usually very courteous on the rare occasion I've been asked; their only wish is to get some money out of motorists. But still, depending on one's view about upholding the law, it's a contentious issue.

If Iam a long way from home and pulled over and suspect they may be "legit" I tell em I don't have a licence....... 200b later and Im on my way, only once have incurred a narky policeman so I handed him my Aus licence, he was happy with this.

Farangies are told it is a requirement that you should carry a copy of the book for the vehicle, a copy of insurance, a copy of your passport, a copy of your licence and display your road tax issue.

l carry my Thai licence away because it's like an I.D.

Of course many people here don't bother but l'm one of the last boyscouts.:D

If Iam a long way from home and pulled over and suspect they may be "legit" I tell em I don't have a licence.

Thanks Spoonman, but I do have a Thai driver's licence. It was the one thing I seem to have omitted from my question. Anyway, I'm looking for the answer on how the law stands really. Perhaps the Traffic Code has sections on this, which can be presented to a policeman who doesn't know the law properly.

If Iam a long way from home and pulled over and suspect they may be "legit" I tell em I don't have a licence.

Thanks Spoonman, but I do have a Thai driver's licence. It was the one thing I seem to have omitted from my question. Anyway, I'm looking for the answer on how the law stands really. Perhaps the Traffic Code has sections on this, which can be presented to a policeman who doesn't know the law properly.

Pointing out points of law will make the situation worse. Trust me, I have personal and anecdotal experience. My last encounter involved being stopped by a group of police on Sukhumvit for have an "electric" light, as he called it. It was a Xenon headlight on my motorcycle. I tried to point out that all Mercedes, BMWs, and Audis and others have it, and he should pull over all those cars, but if he did he knows he would lose his job. Well, he didn't like having this explained to him, and also didn't like the other cop telling him to let me go since I turned my Xenons off.

Don't try to argue points of law with a cop, you will always lose. You are causing him to lose face, and he will never let this slide. If you don't want it taken away, don't give it to him and pay the 200 baht fine for that along with whatever other fine he stopped you for. Otherwise, show him your license, and if he takes it, either pay him the 100 or 200 to get it back, or transfer the money from your ATM after calling the number on the back of the ticket and they will mail the license back to you without having to go down to the office to get it.

It has been discussed on other forums, that the police have no authority to confiscate your driving licence document ... except the gun on their belt.

When you show your Thai Driving Licence, hold it firmly and let him see the details.

I have heard of people making color copies of their western license, laminating them, and then presenting them to police.

Great idea. Actually it has to be said that I travel alone and do not experience problems any more. Notwithstanding this, I do really want to clarify how the law stands. I used to have a dark Isaan-looking girlfriend in the car with me and as a matter of course would be stopped all the time. And they spoke to her of course.

A lone foreigner in a non-pick-up motor does not seem to attract their attention.

I have heard of people making color copies of their western license, laminating them, and then presenting them to police.

Great idea. Actually it has to be said that I travel alone and do not experience problems any more. Notwithstanding this, I do really want to clarify how the law stands. I used to have a dark Isaan-looking girlfriend in the car with me and as a matter of course would be stopped all the time. And they spoke to her of course.

A lone foreigner in a non-pick-up motor does not seem to attract their attention.

Answer to your question is yes you must carry the original not a copy of your license to operate vehicle in Thailand.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/driver_s_license

r transfer the money from your ATM after calling the number on the back of the ticket and they will mail the license back to you without having to go down to the office to get it.

Have you actually done this? How do you tell them your address?

Yes, last year I got a jacka$$ cop who asked to see my drivers license, then walked away without saying a word, only to return, hand me a ticket and walk away and jump in his car and drive off with my drivers license. I called the number on the ticket and told them the ticket number and they told me the fine, which I bargained down. The agreed upon price is noted on the ticket, and you transfer the money at the ATM to the account number on the ticket. After that, you call them and they verify the money is there. Once they do that, they mail it back to you. Make sure that you tell them your address if it is different from your license, or they will mail it to the address on the license. All told, I received my license on the 3rd day after I transferred the money. I think I had to pay the 35 baht post fee, can't remember. Painless, you don't have to go down to the office.