What Happens To The Unsold Lottery Tickets?

PEP

Most members of TV are familiar with the “non-existence” of the Black-Market, Underground, Illegal Lottery. (The “Numbers” racket) that doesn’t operate in every village, town and city in Thailand. This is the one where the Mythical Lady calls around and writes numbers in her tattered exercise book. There is so much conjecture of the very existence of this scheme let alone where the millions of Baht eventually pyramids to so that it is futile to even guess.

My question is related to the Official, Government Lottery. What happens to the many, many unsold tickets that I see in the seller’s tray only some hours prior to the official draw. Are they included in the draw? If not by what mechanism are they excluded? Perhaps even “Mr. Big” holds all the unsold tickets and thus collects the proceeds of any winning numbers?

Does anyone really know? If so please tell, I’m sick of listening to the many fables.

Tickets for the Official Thai lottery are bought by the vendors that sell the tickets so the tickets that the vendor does not sell they in up being theirs.

Not so, the tickets are issued on a sale or return basis so individual vendors are not liable for their unsold tickets, were that the case they would go bust very quickly.

We have a couple of members who have conflicting information. I have heard both and have no idea who is correct or if there is a Thai way of handling the unsold tickets which we Farang would not understand. The latter may be another answer to throw out. I would be interested in the OP's question also.

This is one reason the lottery makes money. Many, perhaps most, of the numbers listed as winners every time the lottery is drawn are unsold; so the actual payout is much less than it would be if only sold numbers were drawn.

We have a couple of members who have conflicting information. I have heard both and have no idea who is correct or if there is a Thai way of handling the unsold tickets which we Farang would not understand. The latter may be another answer to throw out. I would be interested in the OP's question also.

You have to ask yourself, how does the lottery salesperson make his living, is it from buying a shed load of loosing tickets each week that he then cannot sell on or does he get his income from some other means! I dunno, maybe he has to have a second job to see him through the weeks where he didn't buy a winning ticket!! It's easy to see how come folks are lining up to sell lottery tickets, or is that buy lottery tickets, confusing. :)

If you can believe a article in the Nation back in February, the unsold tickets are returned to the GLO. The primary agents as well as sub-agents seem to be closely guarded from the general publicas are price increases along the way to the public punter.

You have to ask yourself, how does the lottery salesperson make his living, is it from buying a shed load of loosing tickets each week that he then cannot sell on or does he get his income from some other means! I dunno, maybe he has to have a second job to see him through the weeks where he didn't buy a winning ticket!! It's easy to see how come folks are lining up to sell lottery tickets, or is that buy lottery tickets, confusing. :)

Every ticket that the seller sells they have to pay 40baht for, but when they sell them they charge 50 baht.

Every ticket that the seller sells they have to pay 40baht for, but when they sell them they charge 50 baht.

According to you the seller must sell four fifths of his total ticket purchase just to break even and not loose any money, hmm, I really don't think so. BTW the tickets are typically 90 baht each, 120 baht in Phuket.

I'm with "Cardholder". Does anyone know the real answer to the fate of the unsold tickets. So much hearsay and conjecture so far. My Guess is that there is a lot of money being made by the few and it certainly is not the bottom of the pyramid, the sellers!

I'm with "Cardholder". Does anyone know the real answer to the fate of the unsold tickets. So much hearsay and conjecture so far. My Guess is that there is a lot of money being made by the few and it certainly is not the bottom of the pyramid, the sellers!

You asked the question and I gave you the answer, but if you want to hold out for a different more interesting answer that's fine. In the meantime, why not go and ask a couple of lottery ticket sales folks what happens to their unsold tickets and don't be too surprised by their answer!

This is one reason the lottery makes money. Many, perhaps most, of the numbers listed as winners every time the lottery is drawn are unsold; so the actual payout is much less than it would be if only sold numbers were drawn.

Golly gee whiz, did you figure that out all on your own?