Window Uv Covering For New Car

Getting a new Toyota Fortuner in a couple of weeks and wanted to have tinting put on the windows for UV/Sun Screen. Actually I'm also thinking about using curtains instead (might want to use a portable GPS handheld and the tinting usually shields out the GPS signal).

Anybody know a good place in Bangkok(or nearby) to get the tinting and/or curtains done?

:o

Getting a new Toyota Fortuner in a couple of weeks and wanted to have tinting put on the windows for UV/Sun Screen. Actually I'm also thinking about using curtains instead (might want to use a portable GPS handheld and the tinting usually shields out the GPS signal).

Anybody know a good place in Bangkok(or nearby) to get the tinting and/or curtains done?

There's one place near where I live off Rama 4 opposite Lumpini Night Bazaar where you can get UV/IR cut films attached on your car, if that's a convenient location for you.... They are actually everywhere... I will look up the exact location for you if live anywhere near here.

Do be selective in which tinting you buy - I'm a non-melanin producer and extremely susceptible to UV – how dark it is does not guarantee a good UV factor, the same applies to curtains - the tinting on my pickup is quite strong but it’s the first vehicle I have ever owned that I get sun-burnt in with the windows closed!

This may be due in part to the fact that it has zone toughened rather than laminated glass. But I now wear sun block on all long journeys!

:D

Do be selective in which tinting you buy - I'm a non-melanin producer and extremely susceptible to UV – how dark it is does not guarantee a good UV factor, the same applies to curtains - the tinting on my pickup is quite strong but it’s the first vehicle I have ever owned that I get sun-burnt in with the windows closed!

This may be due in part to the fact that it has zone toughened rather than laminated glass. But I now wear sun block on all long journeys!

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm getting antsy - less than two weeks away.

The location across from Lumpini is fine.

Are the films rated by UV factor(can you pick the UV factor you want?) ?

How do Curtains stack up against tinting film ? Are they more or less expensive?

Seems like total cost (including installation) should be around 10,000 Baht.

Phormio,

Where you go is not as important as which make of film are they using.

Quality varies greatly

I am not up to speed on this subject but I think 3M and Meridian are good makes

I can certainly agree with this. My car has 3M film, and the GF's car has cheap film, which is actually darker, but a lot less effective. I die in her car if we are stuck in traffic on a hot day, but my car is always comfy!

The 3M film was installed by the dealer (Honda). Maybe the Toyota dealer who delivers your Fortuner could do the same.

Got my "TANK" today. Bigger than I thought - it'll take me a little getting used to driving it in Bangkok since I haven't been driving for over four months here.

Are there any other options between Permanent UV film and curtains? Talking to my wife, we both think curtains look tacky, but my wife had a good idea and I don't know so thought I'd put 'er to y'all.

We'd like to have some UV film/sheets that can be put in place and removed relatively quickly - not permanent stuck on the inside of your window forever, but that can be cut to fit and put on the windows with some non-permanent connectors (like suction cups,etc.); that way if we wanted to remove it temporarily or take it off/put on just some of the windows, then it would be easy.

Anybody know of such a thing and where/how to get it done?

Thanks

We'd like to have some UV film/sheets that can be put in place and removed relatively quickly - not permanent stuck on the inside of your window forever, but that can be cut to fit and put on the windows with some non-permanent connectors (like suction cups,etc.); that way if we wanted to remove it temporarily or take it off/put on just some of the windows, then it would be easy.

Thanks

I think I've seen those sold at Autobacs on west Narathiwat Rd. near Sathorn - Chongnonsri intersection. But I'm not so sure if you can cut to fit to your window as it might be smaller than the window size. It's like any tinted window film but you can attach it and easily peel it off. Not sure if it's infra red/UV cur film or just conventional dark, tinted film.

Got my "TANK" today. Bigger than I thought - it'll take me a little getting used to driving it in Bangkok since I haven't been driving for over four months here.

Are there any other options between Permanent UV film and curtains? Talking to my wife, we both think curtains look tacky, but my wife had a good idea and I don't know so thought I'd put 'er to y'all.

Thanks

In Big C and all the other stores you can get shades and blinds that attach with those suction caps. They're quite effective especially on a long trip with the sun shininng in from one side. - no good for the front screen though!

You can get them in all shapes and sizes for side and rear windows.

Another thing I find invaluable is a foil screen to put in place inside the windscreen when parked; on returning to the car you'll find the temperature is much cooler and it perserves the dash from sun damage.