Are We Viewed As The Scum Of Thailand

bubba1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you CAN tar a group of people with the same brush.

Many people here know how a LARGE number of Thais think of the Burmese, Cambodians, Malaysians, and to a lesser extent Laotians. How do you think they think about foreigners living in Pattaya? I know how they think about young Thais that live there, and the stereotype isn't pretty at all.

I certainly have read enough on here to see that as a group TVF members think ill of several groups of Thais, why would it be any different for Thais and how they think about foreigners?

How can you generalize ?

Some see some of us as prey.

Some see some of us as employers.

Some see some of us as driving their living costs up.

Some see some of us as dangerous on the road.

Some see some of us as drunken bums.

Some see some of us as family.

The list could go on and on.

Ask a number of people that question then as with most questions there will be a multitude of answers.

If the generally held view is that farangs living in Pattaya are here just for the sex then they may well consider us as scum.

Why not do a poll in a national newspaper if it bothers you that much ?

I would guess, if there is such a thing as a Fundimental Christian Thai, then the answer would probably be yes but a young woman from Issan living here would have a different answer :)

Unfortunately, many do like to label all Pattaya residents as scum.

Some are almost maniacal in their hatred.

Ah, but here's the rub: they are jealous and are projecting their wants, desires, their bad sides on to Pattaya residents.

They can say, in their shitty little lives lived somewhere else in the Kingdom: well my life might be crap but at least I'm not one of those sex addicted/perverted/loser types who congregate in Pattaya. It makes them feel good and morally superior.

Let these finger-pointing moralisers examine their own lives for a change

Unfortunately, many do like to label all Pattaya residents as scum.

Some are almost maniacal in their hatred.

Ah, but here's the rub: they are jealous and are projecting their wants, desires, their bad sides on to Pattaya residents.

They can say, in their shitty little lives lived somewhere else in the Kingdom: well my life might be crap but at least I'm not one of those sex addicted/perverted/loser types who congregate in Pattaya. It makes them feel good and morally superior.

Let these finger-pointing moralisers examine their own lives for a change

The question is how do Thai people feel about the farang that live in Pattaya :) I know what I think as a farang that dosn't live in Pattaya, about the farang that do live there; but that isn't what THIS thread is about :)

I believe it's how one carries himself.I mean if your always proper,then I think the average thai will think your A fairly good person.On the other hand if your always getting into someones face arguing ,getting staggering drunk ,dressing like A bum etc,then I believe most thais will not think to highly of you.I know I don't.

Are We Viewed As The Scum Of Thailand?

what do you think Thai people think about the westerners living in Pattaya?

:lol:

Most Thai heard about Pattaya although the majority of the same never went there but I'm sure they know that most Farang don't go to Pattaya for it's prestine beaches;

SO...what do YOU think, Mr. OP, that THEY think ? :whistling:

LaoPo

The best thing about the Thai Buddhist culture, is that unlike most of us 'farangs' or expats, most do not judge people on where they live, or assume prejudice on people they do not know as FACT. Us Brits/Yanks/Europeans are so small minded that we actually CARE about how people perceive us through where we live/our jobs/what car we drive.

Thai people know that Pattaya has many great nightclubs, great go-go bars, and restaurants and ok not so great soi's. But that is Pattaya...NOT the people who live there.

Sabay Sabay nobody gives a shit where you stay. TIT!

There is a lot more to Pattaya than bar girls mate.

And Pattaya is not a true reflection of Thailand on the whole.

"I work for a large oil service company with professionals both men and women who address everybody with 'khun' before their name. These are the people who are 'real' Thai decent people who have an education and want to work for their money."

So the unfortunate people who have not had the chance to gain a decent education and job but have no choice but to make ends meet by whatever means they can are 'real' Thai indecent people?

There is a lot more to Pattaya than bar girls mate.

And Pattaya is not a true reflection of Thailand on the whole.

"I work for a large oil service company with professionals both men and women who address everybody with 'khun' before their name. These are the people who are 'real' Thai decent people who have an education and want to work for their money."

So the unfortunate people who have not had the chance to gain a decent education and job but have no choice but to make ends meet by whatever means they can are 'real' Thai indecent people?

Ok look this is being taken the wrong way, all i meant was who cares what people think about where you live, the chances are the people who judge you are the ones who don't matter.

Take that as you will, and sorry if i sounded harsh.