Crash Helmets

pgthompson

That seems a lot of money??????

Speed shop 1st floor Pantip Plaza. Up to 17,000 baht.

It sure does. I would go for a Real Helmet, 1300 - 1600 if I could get the fit. But I credit a 900 - 1000 baht Index with a great job of saving my noggin last year.

Some recent tests indicate some of the less expensive helmets actually protect better than the priciest ones. You do not necessarily get what you pay for. Google and decide.

17,000 baht for a life, it all depends on how much you value your life. I think I'd opt for two just in case i misplaced onemellow.gif

Here we go!!!!

I asked for some advice and stated that I though 17000 baht was a lot of money.

I didn't ask to be patronised. If you value your life that much then surely you would spend your money on a car not a motorbike!

Real was advertising on a billboard here in CM that some of their models are DOT or Euro certified. Since I need a "motorcycle" helmet (a good umbrella assures that it does not rain; a good motorcycle helmet that it is not needed - thus I don't call them "crash" helmets. I mean, wearing a crash helmet is worrying).

Anyway, as I don't have full face type yet, I'm gonna check out Pantip Plaza on Tuesday - and thanks very much. I too would welcome other locations, with toppers not necessarily certified by Snell (I don't know about their 2010 standards, but earlier models call into question what kind of injury one is likely to have and DOT seemed v. acceptable; that is, there was reason to think that Snells would save you if other injuries were likely to kill you anyway, but the European and U.S. standards would save my bean if the rest of me was likely to have a chance).

Edited by CMX

17,000 baht for a life, it all depends on how much you value your life. I think I'd opt for two just in case i misplaced onemellow.gif

Here we go!!!!

I didn't ask to be patronised. If you value your life that much then surely you would spend your money on a car not a motorbike!

Ok then,how much would be a decent helmet in your home country?An Arai,Shoei or Nolan will cost you about the same I think.Why you expect it to be cheaper in Thailand?

[ Ok then,how much would be a decent helmet in your home country?An Arai,Shoei or Nolan will cost you about the same I think.Why you expect it to be cheaper in Thailand?

It is not that anyone expects it to be cheaper in Thailand but personal preferences play a large part, brands and types of helmets. In the SHARP safety tests ARAI did quite poorly whilst Shoei were generally 3 & 4 with only one 5. I have no idea how much these are in Thailand or in Europe, a Nolan Air is about 7000B in Europe with Cabergs ranging from 4000-7000B all 4 or 5 on the SHARP test. My 4000B Caberg Trip flip up achieved a 5 on the SHARP tests. Of course other factors like comfort play a part. But as with the other gentleman I too would not pay 17000B which is why I bring my own in from Europe. Horses for courses and each to his own.

I just got my Arai Profile from Fastcorner in Pantip Plaza - 16k baht, but when you put it on you know why. For safety, a 2000 baht Real DOT certified helmet is just fine. For comfort, the Arai is like wearing no helmet, field of vision is pretty much like without, and the thing fits to a T. I have an "oval shaped" head and Arai happens to be the only manufacturer which makes helmets in different head shapes rather just different sizes. From oval to round.

The problem at Fastcorner is they don't have much in stock so not so good for trying.

The Kawasaki dealer on the moat has a pretty good selection - nice Nolan flip-ups, almost bought one, very good looking AGVs that are comparatively cheap, and Arai and some others. Nolan is around 13k I think but has all sorts of bells and whistles, the AGV was 9k and great design too.

I have a Real for 2k as well. It will protect your head, and it's DOT approved. DOT is the department of transportation in the USA so that really means something. On the other hand I've recently found out that some helmets just have a DOT approval sign without actually being DOT approved. I don't think Real's faking it but just FYI. An Index is surely better than nothing on your head but I just wouldn't trust it - they're made cheap as can be so I am pretty confident that there's hardly any testing done on those... they just need to look flash.

For city riding you can really just do any helmet. For longer tours, you want the best fitting and most comfortable possible as it can considerably improve your experience. Just my 2ct...

Edited by nikster

If you cannot find what you want in Fast corner the come out of Pantip Plaza to the main road and turn right.

Go past the Imperial Mae Ping hotel and about 50 metres further on the same side is the Apparel shop and he has literally hundreds of helmets of all types and sizes.

I bought my Real Ozzy helmet there in size XL.

Here is a link which may help

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=103123673807285494411.0004624feb401af10e332&ll=18.781887,98.99835&spn=0.004088,0.005493&z=18&iwloc=00046b80ca45a7fbdb4f8

Here we go!!!!

I wasn't being patronising so back up a little, I merely just stated that you can't put a price on a life. A 500 baht helmet from Big C, or the like, is not going to do too well against a proper standard helmet in the unfortunate event of an accident.

I do actually value my life, but it will not stop me riding a bike because it's a lot more enjoyable to me than plodding along in a car! rolleyes.gif

There's a decent Caberg carbon fibre helmet in piston shop mate, he's wanting 15K for it though. Nice helmet, light as a feather but way way over priced for any country.

I'll get in touch with you and give you some links for shops in BKK etc that do mail order. Their prices are much more realistic as they have much more competition down there unlike up here.

Just as a side note, if you need to go up to burma anytime soon there's a little shop up there and they are doing scorpion helmets which are very good. They're an American company as far as i know and they use some serious technology when designing their lids.

I almost bought a top of the range one back in the uk for £250 and it would have been worth every penny.

Don't really rate the Real helmets although I do have one as they're pretty much the best of a bad bunch in my opinion, fairly comfortable but a nightmare finding the correct size unless your L/XL. None of the thai shops seem to have a clue when it comes to correcty sizing your helmet.

Cool, but I wonder which countries helmet sizing that is?

My large noggin can amazingly get a comfy snug fit from a large Arai, yet any other brand needs to be XL. I would like to try a Real Drift that fits, as a second less expensive helmet for local riding, and can't find a shop the stocks XL and XXL. A L Drift is like a S compared to my last two Arai's (oval large head here). The two family apparel stores will order a XL, or XXL, with a 2000 B (refundable??) deposit.

Any other recommends of well stocked helmet stores?

Cheers

UPDATE

I went to Fast Corner in Pantip Plaza today. They had one (1) helmet displayed and the guy was, as usual, too busy talking to a girl to take any notice of me.

I also tried Real Ozzy helmets in size XL - XXL but I find they have a bothersome seam right in the middle of the forehead. Not comfy. Still shopping.

try www.redbaronbkk.com

or search in google for ninja 250 thailand or er6 thainand and use the translate option to browse their classified sections.

There's lots of trade and private and advertising lids of all sizes and brands.

I bought an INDEX helmet in Carrefour ..... 90 bht.

It looks nice!

No disrespect intended but the 90 bht helmet would probably offer about as much protection as a hollowed out watermelon shell.

You probably would have been better off going into homepro and buying a builders hard hat as worn on building sites, it's probably better made lol

• 4 weeks later...

Fast Corner is the place to go. Pricey but they will order parts for you, visors or anything else. A decent range of top end helmets

I totally agree with Arai being the best, got a XD-3 and it has to be the best I've bought. A little stuffy for city riding, so now am probably going back there for a more 'open' one.