Local Villagers Confront PAD Supporters In Surin

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people are seriously interested in a little history, they might like to read my post number 100.It will explain a lot ,I think. But I must reiterate, these temples are NOT Buddhist , they are HINDU. As such ,no religious ceremonies have been conducted in them for the best part of 700 years.

I am aware I should not be responding to SergeiY, but the point has to made that it should be fair for people to exercise their democratic right to protest, even if it is in the Red's backyard and the protesters are Yellow shirts. Surely the Northern folk are aware that democratic rights are for everyone. Surely with their demands for democracy they would not interfere or limit other people's democratic rights. I'm sure they know what democracy is, right?

For those people who support the blockade, are you also going to say it would be OK to block Northern folk from coming to Bangkok to protest and burn when they leave? If you support this blockade then you are also saying that people can only protest and burn in their own neighbourhoods.

Let us see now, if the government had been smart enough to block or maintain full control of the gathering of the political protestors in the heart of Bangkok then the following carnage would not have occured..........

Now that would make the Issan villagers smarter than the government........would it not? .......or at the very least intelligent enough to learn from the deadly mistakes of others?

So what Geo seems to be saying is that he is opposed to the democratic right to free assembly and protest. The right to protest is vital in democratic societies! The right to do it with m79 grenade launchers or while calling for a million people to bring bottles to make petrol bombs (like the reds did), however, is NOT protected.

What Geo is doing is comparing two like for like scenario........one ended badly.......the other it appears has not..........so certainly an improvement there......initiated by the intelligent villagers in Surin........and the prompt distribution of the rangers and troops to control a potentially dangerous situation, which they appear to have achieved........maintaining control........the secret to allowing continuation of successful democratic protests.

Losing control.......recipe for disaster....:(

Your interpretation appears to lack a little intelligent understanding in your efforts to once again score political points.....getting a little too predictable JD...:D

and yet again geo resorts to ad hominem attacks ... he first suggests that the PAD were protesters and then denies them the right to protest. I came close to creating a strawman with my comments about the red insurrection in BKK, but stopped short, since the right to ARMED protest is not protected.

but MCOT has some background on the temple region as do other sources should anyone care to google using this string " Ta Muen Thom Temple Surin " --- there are two news sources there that cannot be quoted on TVF

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/18329.html

The territory is not newly claimed by Thailand. It has been part of Thailand for ages. The ruins appear to be Angkor dynasty era, Angkor dynasty was Buddhist, and as in modern days Hinduism and Buddhism are closely related.. They do not appear to be Hindu but as yet I have found no clear reference

If people are seriously interested in a little history, they might like to read my post number 100.It will explain a lot ,I think. But I must reiterate, these temples are NOT Buddhist , they are HINDU. As such ,no religious ceremonies have been conducted in them for the best part of 700 years.

yes, you are probably right.

Puts it into a different political context as well

Since when can you attack fiction JD the writer is the culprit are they not?

directly admitting to ad hominem attacks while making a new one :) +2

You bought in 100% to the supposition I posted because it fit your political ideals, Geo. You weren't thinking about facts or anything relevant, just the supposition I posted. When I posted another equally as possible supposition you resorted to ad hominem attacks because the second set of suppositions do not match your political ideals.

I have refrained from such attacks, as imho, just pointing yours out does the trick nicely :)

Nope. I'm just amazed that we can get 115 posts based on... uhmmm... essentially nothing.... and that 6 days later AND with still nothing... that members continue to add to it, miscellaneous flames notwithstanding.

But to lighten everybody up you've got to see the humour in the fact that you alone have contributed 24 posts to the 115 odd ( and rising, now I've added one biggrin.gif )

Cmon everybody, lets just wait for some more followup info from the Nation. I'm sure they will, eventually..............

Nope. I'm just amazed that we can get 115 posts based on... uhmmm... essentially nothing.... and that 6 days later AND with still nothing... that members continue to add to it, miscellaneous flames notwithstanding.

But to lighten everybody up you've got to see the humour in the fact that you alone have contributed 24 posts to the 115 odd ( and rising, now I've added one biggrin.gif )

Cmon everybody, lets just wait for some more followup info from the Nation. I'm sure they will, eventually..............

Probably not .. as no news source seems to have followed up much about Hun Sen's scheduled (and cancelled) trip there last Feb ... and the threats and ultimatums made by both sides :)

Probably not .. as no news source seems to have followed up much about Hun Sen's scheduled (and cancelled) trip there last Feb ... and the threats and ultimatums made by both sides :)

I was trying to dig my tongue out of my cheek at the time, dam_n, there's another post, and probably off topic as well! ohmy.gif

I was trying to dig my tongue out of my cheek at the time, dam_n, there's another post, and probably off topic as well! ohmy.gif

I knew where your tongue was! ;)

Since when can you attack fiction JD the writer is the culprit are they not?

directly admitting to ad hominem attacks while making a new one :) +2

You bought in 100% to the supposition I posted because it fit your political ideals, Geo. You weren't thinking about facts or anything relevant, just the supposition I posted. When I posted another equally as possible supposition you resorted to ad hominem attacks because the second set of suppositions do not match your political ideals.

I have refrained from such attacks, as imho, just pointing yours out does the trick nicely :)

And of course you are welcome to your humble opinion.......you don't mind if I file it with the others........:D

probably too subtle mate.......

[

Reminds me of the last time my ex spoke to me................

the only appropriate rejoinder/ witty rapartee' for your last remark would get me in serious trouble with the mods ... so ....whistling.gif

the only appropriate rejoinder/ witty rapartee' for your last remark would get me in serious trouble with the mods ... so ....whistling.gif

So..............That's all Folks! Good Night and I thank you, you've been a lovely audience.

[

Why swing your fist when you know you can hurt no one in ThaiVisa?

They are Hindu.Not Buddhist.All the carvings are Hindu.There is absolutely no Buddhist influence whatsoever. Ta Muen Thom,Toch and Tot , are built on what was a major highway, about 900 years ago, between Angkor Wat and Phi Mai ( Korat). It ran from Angkor Wat to the Ta Muens to Phanom Rung To Phi Mai.One was a "guest house" ,Another was a "hospice" and Thom was a Hindu temple. The Cambodians ruled Southern Isarn for a few hundred years. They also had pottery kilns and iron making (Soi Sai To 7 Tai Amphur Ban Kruat,Changwat Buriram). When Hinduism died out, it was replaced by Animism. Then along came Buddhism. Animism is still very strong in this area, comfortably mixing with Buddhism. The ultra nationalist "yellows" have been trying to stir up trouble ,in both Surin and Si Sa Ket for a couple of years, now. On this issue, they are an embarrassment to the Govt.. You might also like to know , that is p.a.d., policy to take away the democratic right to vote of Isarn people.Bear in mind, that the yellows are 100% chinese thais. middle to upper class. and as such detest and despise Isarn people and see their only use is to be the cannon fodder for their ultimate personal financial enrichment

Bear in mind, that the yellows are 100% chinese thais. middle to upper class.

You started off well enough, but then disintegrated into misrepresentation and untruths.

btw, I'll be sure to tell the PAD supporting local scrap plastic collector that not only is he Chinese Thai, but that he's at least in middle class. :rolleyes:

As he meanders the sois rummaging about with his collection of plastic bottles, I'm sure he'll be quite pleased with the new information.

They are Hindu.Not Buddhist.All the carvings are Hindu.There is absolutely no Buddhist influence whatsoever. Ta Muen Thom,Toch and Tot , are built on what was a major highway, about 900 years ago, between Angkor Wat and Phi Mai ( Korat). It ran from Angkor Wat to the Ta Muens to Phanom Rung To Phi Mai.One was a "guest house" ,Another was a "hospice" and Thom was a Hindu temple. The Cambodians ruled Southern Isarn for a few hundred years. They also had pottery kilns and iron making (Soi Sai To 7 Tai Amphur Ban Kruat,Changwat Buriram). When Hinduism died out, it was replaced by Animism. Then along came Buddhism. Animism is still very strong in this area, comfortably mixing with Buddhism. The ultra nationalist "yellows" have been trying to stir up trouble ,in both Surin and Si Sa Ket for a couple of years, now. On this issue, they are an embarrassment to the Govt.. You might also like to know , that is p.a.d., policy to take away the democratic right to vote of Isarn people.Bear in mind, that the yellows are 100% chinese thais. middle to upper class. and as such detest and despise Isarn people and see their only use is to be the cannon fodder for their ultimate personal financial enrichment

Can we keep the seemingly hate filled stereotyping and xenophobia out of things.

1) Please put into evidence your claims that the Angkor era temple was Hindu and not Buddhist.

2) Your representation of the PAD is simply a lie. Much of the PAD is in fact middle class. Many are NOT Chinese Thai. Most do not only NOT detest the people of Isaan and the North, they count them amongst their relatives etc.

3) Your continuous claims that the PAD are "ultra-nationalist" certainly flies in the face of Thai Rak Thai by name and function. Not to mention that TRT and all its proxy parties are controlled by Thaksin (Chinese Thai- extremely wealthy, using the people of Isaan and the North to create a power bloc to steal from Thailand) and his cronies (also Chinese Thai, wealthy and thieves)

4) Your claim that the PAD wants to take away votes from people is erroneous as well. "New Politics" was floated as an idea that changed representation. It is not the official policy of either the PAD or to the best of my knowledge the NPP (New Politics Party). There are a large number of people that count themselves as members of the PAD that traditionally vote Democrat, Some that will go with the NPP, and some that vote for other parties. The vast majority amongst the people that count themselves as PAD will remain with the Democrats.

5) Your analysis of politics in Isaan is far too simple. Isaan, like the rest of Thailand, has powerbase areas controlled by local families. In fact, look at Buriram and tell me which political family holds sway there, then do the same wit Sri Saket etc. Those areas will. in all probability be voting with the local powerbase families and not with PTP (or whoever takes their place should they too become a banned party.

I cannot believe the stupidity or lack of knowledge of this topic. These temples, Khao Phra Viharn ,Prasat Ta Muen Thom, are NOT Buddhist, They are HINDU. I repeat HINDU, not Buddhist.Prasat Ta Muen Thom ,is a ruin ,It is most probably 700 years since any religious acts were performed there.

700 years ago the Angkor kingdom was what religion? When Angkor fell it was what religion? The people that sacked Angkor were what religion?

Edited by jdinasia

1,.Hinduism has a pantheon of gods. Buddhism has none. If you visit Phanom Rung or any other Khmer temples of that time, you will see the carvings of many Hindu mythical figures.Which have come directly from India. Southern Isarn was controlled by Angkor Wat for some hundreds of years. Angkor Wat is 100 % Hindu. After the collapse of The Khmer kingdom of that time, Animism replaced Hinduism. Finally Buddhism arrived.And in this region blended in with Animism. 2. I stated that p.a.d was composed of middle to upper class 3.As this post was about p.a.d. I did not want go off topic. 4.No, as I have never seen a repudiation of of p.a.d. and its desire to disenfranchise Isarn Thais. I believe it is still there. Though it provoked an outcry at the time, they went very quiet about it 5. Not wishing to bore the pants off everyone, I did not attempt to go overboard by writing a book here. Here , you are quite correct. Buriram is controlled/owned politically by the Chidchob family. As such this is not a red shirt area. Buriram was never under S.O.E. 6. Angkor Wat ,did not fall. It was abandoned. Nobody sacked Angkor Wat. It was, after the collapse ,simply taken over by jungle, until re-discovered. The same happened here with all the Khmer temples. They were overgrown by jungle. I understand that they were re-discovered during the Vietnam war, when the Americans wanted to stop the Viet Cong/PolPots mob using Thailand ,ferrying supplies South. And ordered the jungle to be cleared.This comes from local Isarn thai knowledge.True or false, I know not. Suffice to say they were lost for hundreds of years.May i suggest that a visit to the area would certainly help you to understand. Phanom Rung is an excellent place to start.. It is built on top of an extinct volcano. It is an amazing structure.Please do visit.

Lots of deliberate errors and untruths in your post:

- PAD are not 100% Thai Chinese, not all all, PAD is as mixed as any other group

- It's not PAD policy to deny Essan people the vote

- "The yellow have been trying to stir up troube for a couple of years": why shouldn't they object to what they see as the possibility of a temple being lost to another country. In fact every country needs various groups who stand up and object to various things.

- Chinese Thai...and as such .... detest and despise Isarn people. This is a stupid and untrue comment. In reality there are many Chines Thai who are quite poor and Chinese Thai are not necessarily all in Bangkok. On the other side of the coin there are rich Thai people who are from Kmer heredity who live all over Isarn and in Bangkok. And it's worth adding that you can find many Thai (Kmer) people in Isarn who are rich (including some who are village Kumnans, and including some who gained their wealth through dubious means) who employ their fellow local Thais as maids and drivers etc., etc., and treat them very poorly; young maids who are often raped and often groped by the teenage sons of the rich employer etc., and nothing said to the sons by their parents.

Edited by scorecard

Bear in mind, that the yellows are 100% chinese thais. middle to upper class.

You started off well enough, but then disintegrated into misrepresentation and untruths.

btw, I'll be sure to tell the PAD supporting local scrap plastic collector that not only is he Chinese Thai, but that he's at least in middle class. :rolleyes:

As he meanders the sois rummaging about with his collection of plastic bottles, I'm sure he'll be quite pleased with the new information.

When he returns from his holiday to the Surin Temple of course.....

Lots of deliberate errors and untruths your post:

- PAD are not 100% Thai Chinese, not all all, PAD is a mixed as any other group

- "The yellow have been trying to stir up troube for a couple of years": why shouldn't they object to what they see as the possibility of a temple being lost to another country. In fact every country needs various groups who stand up and object to various things.

- Chinese Thai...and as such .... detest and despise Isarn people. This is a stupid and untrue comment. In reality there are many Chines Thai who are quite poor and Chinese Thai are not necessarily all in Bangkok. On the other side of the coin there are rich Thai people who are from Kmer heredity who live all over Isarn and in Bangkok. And it's worth adding that you can many Thai (Kmer) people in Isarn who are rich (including some who are village Kumnans, and including some who gained their wealth through dubious means) who employ their fellow local Thais as maids and drivers etc., etc., and treat them very poorly; young maids who are often raped and often groped by the teenage sons of the rich employer etc., and nothing said to the sons by their parents.

The trouble is that your response is not really honest.

1.Most PAD supporters are of Chinese ethnic origin.One could equally argue that this simply reflects middle class Bangkok demographics.

2.It was definitely part of the PAD platform to introduce a mechanism under which the rural Thai's vote counted less than an "educated" urban dweller.Later there was the back pedalling and the predictable "it was only for discussion" excuse.

3.There is a strain of contempt on the part of some urban ethnic Chinese Thais for the rural majority.The disgusting racist language used on PAD platforms was evidence of this.More evidence was more recently provided on social networking sites earlier this year.

It would be absurd to label all or even most Thais of Chinese origin with the PAD fascist label but the dishonesty or possibly wilful ignorance of your post needs to be skewered.

@ afarang........your historical information is enlightening and I for one appreciate reading about the local area.......you see I retain a real interest. I intend to visit more of these temples, as a tourist, I do not envisage any confrontation with villagers unless they have concerns for my safety. I have had the pleasure of visiting the contentious Preah Vihear, which offers staggering cliff top views, and great insight into the construction ability of the Khmer empire all those years ago.

So afarang please continue to provide relevant historical information (Kittiya1980 also has set up a few interesting frames on local temples) worth a look for those that have a genuine interest in the temples of Surin and the surrounding areas.

Remember, the temples have been around for centuries, political commentators are but a fleeting inconvenience.........

700 years ago the Angkor kingdom was what religion? When Angkor fell it was what religion? The people that sacked Angkor were what religion?

http://www.sacredsites.com/asia/cambodia/angkor_wat.html

Angkor Wat, built during the early years of the 12th century by Suryavaram II, honors the Hindu god Vishnu and is a symbolic representation of Hindu cosmology.
During half-millennia of Khmer occupation, the city of Angkor became a pilgrimage destination of importance throughout Southeastern Asia. Sacked by the Thais in 1431 and abandoned in 1432, Angkor was forgotten for a few centuries. Wandering Buddhist monks, passing through the dense jungles, occasionally came upon the awesome ruins. Recognizing the sacred nature of the temples but ignorant of their origins, they invented fables about the mysterious sanctuaries, saying they had been built by the gods in a far ancient time.

3.There is a strain of contempt on the part of some urban ethnic Chinese Thais for the rural majority.The disgusting racist language used on PAD platforms was evidence of this.More evidence was more recently provided on social networking sites earlier this year.

Evidence from social networking sites?! Seriously?

What next? Evidence from Thaivisa?

Lots of deliberate errors and untruths your post:

- PAD are not 100% Thai Chinese, not all all, PAD is a mixed as any other group

- Chinese Thai...and as such .... detest and despise Isarn people. This is a stupid and untrue comment. In reality there are many Chines Thai who are quite poor and Chinese Thai are not necessarily all in Bangkok. On the other side of the coin there are rich Thai people who are from Kmer heredity who live all over Isarn and in Bangkok. And it's worth adding that you can many Thai (Kmer) people in Isarn who are rich (including some who are village Kumnans, and including some who gained their wealth through dubious means) who employ their fellow local Thais as maids and drivers etc., etc., and treat them very poorly; young maids who are often raped and often groped by the teenage sons of the rich employer etc., and nothing said to the sons by their parents.

The trouble is that your response is not really honest.

1.Most PAD supporters are of Chinese ethnic origin. One could equally argue that this simply reflects middle class Bangkok demographics.

You seem to be saying that the majority of Bangkok residents are Chinese Tha1. This is not correct. Further I just called one of my work colleagues who attended a large number of the early PAD rallies, she quickly and strongly disagreed with the suggestion that the majoriy of PAD attendees were Chinese Thai./b]

2.It was definitely part of the PAD platform to introduce a mechanism under which the rural Thai's vote counted less than an "educated" urban dweller.Later there was the back pedalling and the predictable "it was only for discussion" excuse

Well yes and no, yes someone from the PAD did suggest a different profile of who should vote* and it was quite discrimatory and not only to the Essan people. and It was quickly shot down by the PAD. You might like to note that not all Chinese Thai in BAngkok (or all of Thailand) are rich, many are lower middle class and/or poor. *To be quite honest this suggestion shocked me too, and from my knowledge of this 'era' (I also have my sources of information and discussion with a large body of Thai people) it also shocked a lot of PAD people, who very quickly and openly disagreed.

I don't suggest that foul / racist language is accepteable, it's not, but let's please not hang our hts on just that point, and one could add to the discussion that the original 'target' of the yellow shirts PAD was thaksin and corruption and not the Essan people. Let's also for balance mention that the language of the red shirt leaders is very foul and discrimatory (let alone the blatant lies they told, usage of doctored tapes, etc).

Any rightly or wrongly there are some people from all countries / ethics origins / skin colours etc etc who dislike / look down on people from other countries/ other ethic groups / other skin colours, not nice but nobody would deny that it happens. That's not what the OP wrote or was refering to.

It would be absurd to label all or even most Thais of Chinese origin with the PAD fascist label but the dishonesty or possibly wilful ignorance of your post needs to be skewered.

Exactly my point, perhaps who should read things before you react.

So any experts out there can make anything of these photos.......one interesting point, there is a field of flowers behind these structural remains, also the structure has these large boulders surrounding the building site.

Dare i ask, where are we going with this?

No it isn't. The PADs want go there for somekind of anti-Cambodian campaign and not anti-red or anti-Thaksin.

and that information is where in the article?

Would this be the temple in question - if so you have your answer

Prasat Ta Muen Thom - which is in fact three ruined structures all with the same name - in a location that seems to be on the very border between Cambodia and Thailand. If you speak to the Khmers in the locality, they'll tell you that the temple is Cambodian and that the Thai's have stolen it in the last few years, whilst the Thai's have assumed responsibility for the temple and built a paved road for easy access for visitors.

If the Thais had "stolen it in the last few years" I think it would be more in the news that Phrear Vihear temple. I'm sure it was Khmer in the past, but probably not Cambodian for a couple of hundred years.

'but probably not Cambodian for a couple of hundred years.' Do you have any verification of that?