Live Theatre

bhatmasterson

One of the great things about living in Chiang Mai is the variety of visual and performing arts that are on display. The Gate Theater Group are back with a new show. The last one, "The Odd Couple," sold out every performance.

Miss Daisy Rolls into Chiang Mai

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and Best Picture Academy Award, Alfred Uhry's play has been performed the world over with renowned actors. This production by The GateTheater Group is being directed by Irene Barrientos and stars Joyce Matchett in the leading role of Miss Daisy with Stephan Turner and Robert Young rounding out the cast.

Driving Miss Daisy is a moving story of friendship told with humor, warmth and beauty. This family comedy is set in Atlanta, Ga. from 1948 to 1973. Daisy Werthan, an independent, aging widow – disagreeable, and set in her ways – reluctantly surrenders the driver's seat to Hoke Coleburn, a proud, soft-spoken African American man. At first, Daisy's stubbornness and cultural prejudices cause much friction, but over the course of 25 years, Hoke becomes not only her chauffeur, but against all odds, her best friend.

Driving Miss Daisy opens at the studio theater on the 7thfloor at Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Mall on October 29th and will run onFridays & Saturdays at 7:00 pm. until the 13th of November (6performances).

I always catch every show... indeed a unique slice of real culture in Chiang Mai. I'll contact about tickets right away. Glad to see you guys are still up and running. Anyone who's never been - you're missing out. It's real, accessible theater right here in CM.

Does Gate Theater follow any of the goings-on at Sang Dee Gallery on Nimm, Soi 5 ? They're doing an open mike night and some other workshops, and there're definitely one or two ppl who love to do theater there. I'm talking with past experience in real productions too. I hope the two groups get to know each other.... in their 'free time.'

What is the cost of a ticket?

"Suggested" Donation 250 baht, but if purchasing tickets from the Information Desk 1st(?) floor Kad Suan Kaew, the "suggested" donation drops away to a straight 250 baht purchase. Worth every cent !

Cheers.

I always catch every show... indeed a unique slice of real culture in Chiang Mai. I'll contact about tickets right away. Glad to see you guys are still up and running. Anyone who's never been - you're missing out. It's real, accessible theater right here in CM.

Does Gate Theater follow any of the goings-on at Sang Dee Gallery on Nimm, Soi 5 ? They're doing an open mike night and some other workshops, and there're definitely one or two ppl who love to do theater there. I'm talking with past experience in real productions too. I hope the two groups get to know each other.... in their 'free time.'

I'm going to try and organize some of the Gate folks to go over and give Sang Dee a look. I did indeed receive a notice about an open mic night but can't remember which night of the week it is. Or is it more than one night a week? Is there a cover charge?

Just returned from the opening night performance of "Driving Miss Daisy." I watched the movie yesterday and I think the play is better than the film. Something about live theater, the suspension of disbelief and using the imagination to fill in the gaps that always seems thrilling. For a while, I completely forgot that I was sitting in a theater in Chiang Mai. The level of talent on display is just amazing. Not just the acting. The set (very sparse) but effective, the lighting evocative on many levels and the sound design all combine to create a wonderful presentation. Congratulations to the cast and crew. It was a wonderful performance. A must see for anyone who appreciates live theater.

Hm, does 'suggested donation' mean they're trying to avoid paying royalties due to the author?

I believe this has something to do with their wish to operate as a non profit social group and not a business. "Suggested donation" also means you can give what you can or nothing at all for a seat. The director is at the theater for every performance. Why don't you go have a look and ask her instead of spreading negative ideas?

I've come across this before for similar reasons. I have worked in the royalties dept of a large international play publisher!

This is all well and good. But the point was why cast aspersion upon a group of folks who are doing something positive in the community that can be enjoyed by the entire family? Seems to me they are a pretty positive group of folks from looking at their mission statement. Certainly nobody is making any money from this effort. More likely they are loosing money in the long run.

I would like to see the Gate Theater Group continue bringing live theater to Chiang Mai. Where else in Northern Thailand can we go to see live English Language theater? The nearest location that I am aware of is Bangkok. Statements like yours could turn people off for no good reason other than you've "Come across this before." Very unnecessary post in my opinion.

ok then, would a mod delete my unsubstantiated post then please?

David

all credit to the cast of live theatre, but your point about possibly escaping royalties is still appropriate. credit is due to the original playwright too. let's play fair to the cast AND the original performers

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Would like to chime in with strongly recommending seeing the Gate's newest production. Saw their production of "Strange Snow" last year, directed by Stephan Turner, and it was excellent ! "Strange Snow," by the way, was made into a movie called "Jacknife," starring Robert di Niro.

Chiang Mai is very lucky to have this group of talented people working so hard for us all :)

best, ~o:37;

ok then, would a mod delete my unsubstantiated post then please?

David

all credit to the cast of live theatre, but your point about possibly escaping royalties is still appropriate. credit is due to the original playwright too. let's play fair to the cast AND the original performers

It certainly was not appropriate and thank you David for saying as much. How on earth is it appropriate? In what context? Have you done due diligence on the theater group to see what is above board and what is not? Why even bring up the possibility of wrong doing when you don't know what the arrangements is between the playwright and this group? For all any of us know, the royalties have been properly taken care of. That fact, in itself, makes the OPs comment and yours inappropriate and both should be removed. I'd like to see the fireworks if someone came on and said a popular restaurant MIGHT be using questionable ingredients. The hang'um high committee would show up straight away to crush that notion.

As a side note, there is a rather lengthy bio (write up) about the author which includes his photo in the playbill. So, he's definitely receiving credit for his work. The original actors who appeared in the Broadway production are not supposed to receive any royalties or credit other than the mention that they were superb in their roles. This info usually appears in the press release if at all.

Would like to chime in with strongly recommending seeing the Gate's newest production. Saw their production of "Strange Snow" last year, directed by Stephan Turner, and it was excellent ! "Strange Snow," by the way, was made into a movie called "Jacknife," starring Robert di Niro.

Chiang Mai is very lucky to have this group of talented people working so hard for us all :)

Fully agree, orangutang

Stephen turner is a brilliant director and actor with a fine supporting cast.

That is the most important point. (But to be fair royalties should be paid)

The point David made, and he has worked in royalties, and which i supported, is that it is common practice unfortunately for royalties to be avoided by asking for donations instead of ticketed payments. It happens a lot

No-one specifically said it happened here but unrecorded donations are always prone to full accounting not being kept

It's small beer anyway considering how much revenue is lost in counterfeiting branded goods in Thailand. The embassies are forever taking this up with Thai authorities. Happens so regularly it is becoming routine

The point David made, and he has worked in royalties, and which i supported, is that it is common practice unfortunately for royalties to be avoided by asking for donations instead of ticketed payments. It happens a lot

No-one specifically said it happened here but unrecorded donations are always prone to full accounting not being kept

It's small beer anyway considering how much revenue is lost in counterfeiting branded goods in Thailand. The embassies are forever taking this up with Thai authorities. Happens so regularly it is becoming routine

You appear to be avoiding the point. You are right in that no one said it was happening here. But the point is, why even bring up negativity without reason? Is it to intentionally hurt these folk and keep people away? What is the purpose? Additionally, why would you insinuate that donations aren't being recorded and full accounting isn't being kept? Even though the group is trying to be a non profit, rents and other expenses still need to be paid. I'm certain the mall isn't giving space away for free. Someone must be recording donations.

If you want to know for sure what is going on ask the appropriate party. Why insinuate negativity while having no apparent proof? It does nobody any good.

Edited by bhatmasterson

Fully agree, orangutang

Stephen turner is a brilliant director and actor with a fine supporting cast.

That is the most important point. (But to be fair royalties should be paid)

What outrageous assertions you people make. When you speak of a woman do you say "for all we know she could be a whore"? When you see a man doing good deeds do you say "he's probably a thief"? Jeesus Christ, stop maligning people with zero evidence to back up your assertions. If you did it to me I'd probably beat the shit out of you.

You appear to be avoiding the point. You are right in that no one said it was happening here. But the point is, why even bring up negativity without reason? Is it to intentionally hurt these folk and keep people away? What is the purpose? Additionally, why would you insinuate that donations aren't being recorded and full accounting isn't being kept? Even though the group is trying to be a non profit, rents and other expenses still need to be paid. I'm certain the mall isn't giving space away for free. Someone must be recording donations.

If you want to know for sure what is going on ask the appropriate party. Why insinuate negativity while having no apparent proof? It does nobody any good.

have you guys not met? this is caf.he had 2 arguments going on at the same time earlier on. nice one.

Edited by november222

Just returned from the play..

The production was wonderfully heart-warming, humorous and rich in emotion.

Thank you to all the very dedicated cast and crew for again giving us quality theatre.

Why this thread has descended into insinuation and inuendo is saddening.

Suggest we put that aside and rather devote our energies to supporting Chiang Mai's only English amateur theatre group.

They're certainly worthy of our support.

Cheers.

My wife and I love the live threader.

I would love to plug the play we saw last night "Driving Miss Daisy"

We enjoyed it so much. If you want a great evening out it is a must see.

I believe the only dates are Friday and Saturday night starts at 7pm but

I would get there early I believe it was sold out.

Arrive around 6:20 have a glass of red or white wine (if you drink) and

purchase a ticket. Enjoyable evening the cast did a great job.

"another of Stephan's great" that is for sure