Chiang Mai Sunday Market?

malamala

Many travelers and guidebooks are endorsing visiting the Chiang Mai Sunday Market.

What can we expect to see and experience there, is it different from other markets or is it just overblown "must do".

What is so unique about it?

thank you for your opinons.

The Sunday market is excellent, and probably the best handicraft market in the country. Don't confuse it with the touristy Night Bazar where they sell (with some exceptions) the same crap you also see all along Sukhumvit, Pattaya, etc.

Sunday market is entirely different; often the people selling the stuff are the ones who created it.

It's a huge market on a major road in the old town, making the word claustrophobic a synonym to 'incredibly popular', ALSO with locals and Thai tourists!

Some people on this forum seem to need to be negative about everything. Says more about them than about the topic at hand.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It is very busy and crowded.

But if you're here for the first time, you probably should try the Sunday "Walking Street" market on Ratchdamnoen at least once.

Lots of food, local handicrafts, etc.

When it gets a bit too much, you can always take a breather by going up a side soi that is less crowded, or sit in a chair and get a foot massage.

I go 3 or 4 times a year, if it a Sunday and I'm bored and feel like a little people watching and an evening stroll.

It is way better than that touristic nightmare called the Night Bazaar on Chang Klan Rd.

The Saturday walking street on Wua Lai Rd. is a fairly recent thing.

On BCL's recommendation, I'll go check it out. Are the handicrafts less hallucinogenic?

:D

It's pretty much what WinnieTheKwai says. However, don't plan on taking a private vehicle (auto or motorbike) into the area when it's happening. Better to park outside and walk. I usually go there a few times to look for hand crafts for my grand kids. I like the little hand sewn stuffed animals and lizards. The lizards look almost real and my grand kids love theirs.

When I'm looking for presents to take back to Europe and I want something a bit different from the usual trash, this is where I shop. Lots of creative stuff there and you can spend several hours perusing what's on offer. Plenty of good, cheap food available all around the area when you get hungry too.

If your from the US, Chiang Mai Sunday market is like a giant pier 1 imports store - minus the furniture goods.

BUT it's a lot cheaper if you bargain and they're are a lot of one of a kind items that are unique to Northern Thailand. Pier 1 just buys items that are mass produced by the hundreds, if not thousands.

As the others have said, WS is a much better experience then the Night Bazaar.

Its boring as you can buy any of the goods any other day of the week at the markets around town. Because its a tourist area the prices are more expensive than you can find in a local market any day of the week. Okay if your a visitor to CNX

Its boring as you can buy any of the goods any other day of the week at the markets around town. Because its a tourist area the prices are more expensive than you can find in a local market any day of the week. Okay if your a visitor to CNX

I don't know how the prices compare, but I doubt if any other markets have as large a selection. The fact that the Sunday Market is very popular with Thai people, who greatly outnumber tourists and expats, says something about it. Most of the Thai people are only buying snacks and browsing, but they do like the Sunday Market.

I see, this may be an interesting situation as we will start the vacaiton in Chiang Mai, so we will end up carrying all those gift for the rest of the trip.

The visitors to CM we have had, buy what they want and then put them in a box and post to their home country. Snail mail (ocean ) is cheap and takes 1 to 2 months, air freight also available. If you still have traveling to do this gets rid of the hassle of carrying/repacking etc the purchased items.

Sunday market is great, go. It's more than 50% Thai customers so that should tell you right away it's not a "tourist-rip-off" place like the night bazaar. There's also less bargaining at the sunday market because prices don't start at 300% fair value. Many places have fixed price (which means it's cheap).

I like the student section the best - one road is full of artists and students selling their things, and prices are amazing. You can get some nice little handicraft things there for 10, 20, 30 Baht. It's on the side-road leading to the Three Kings monument.

The rest is mostly shops from all over town, but any other time they are not all in one place like here.

Recommended.

Edit: Almost forgot, check out the temples on the side of the road, most of them are filled with food stalls. Really great local foods, huge variety, very good prices. My Thai wife goes there mostly for the food.

Edited by nikster

I see, this may be an interesting situation as we will start the vacaiton in Chiang Mai, so we will end up carrying all those gift for the rest of the trip.

The visitors to CM we have had, buy what they want and then put them in a box and post to their home country. Snail mail (ocean ) is cheap and takes 1 to 2 months, air freight also available. If you still have traveling to do this gets rid of the hassle of carrying/repacking etc the purchased items.

If you want to post by air be sure to use the "Small Packet" service available from all Thai post offices. It costs about half of regular airmail.

To qualify your packet must not be sealed with glue or tape, BUT an envelope (e.g. jiffy bag) can have a row of staples across the flap and still qualify. My friend even does a double row with about 20 staples and this still qualifies... If it's a box you are sending then just tie it with string (lots of it) and you also can get the "Small Packet" rate.

So, all you have to do is package the items as described above and say "Small Packet", in English, when in the post office. They will stamp it as Small Packet and charge you a nice cheap price ;-) I also always ask for my package to be registered (proof of posting), which I believe is an additional 50 Baht. Registered stuff always seems to get delivered whereas unregistered is something of a lottery!

The Sunday night market is what it is...

There is also a great second-hand market on Sunday mornings on Bamrung Rat rd between Rattana Kosin rd and Nawarat rd.

They shut down the whole street and you can find anything - crafts, clothes, antiques, bike parts, food, garbage, etc., etc.

Also, a good hint for travelers who don't want to carry stuff around Thailand while on their trip. You can mail parcels to the Post Office at Savarnbumi Airport, and pick it up when you depart. Post Office is open 24 hours, and provides (so far) good and honest service. Also good for when you land with too much luggage. Just pop up to the 4th floor and mail the box or suitcase to anywhere in Thailand.

(your name here)

Poste Restante

Post Office

Savarnbumi Airport

(and the postal code - I don't know it, but any post office can tell you...)

OK I might have been there, but if I was there on a Saturday does that mean I wasn't there.

It would be a good marketing feature to give it a name otherwise every market in town is a Sunday market if it happens to be Sunday.

The Chiang Mai Sunday Market was a 2006 conception and has been marketed by that name. It is held from 4PM to Midnight on Sundays. There has been a few that it may have encompassed a Saturday but very seldom. The area in front of Thae Phae Gate will be used for a market on a regular bases. Ask any Tuk Tuk drive where the Sunday Market is and they know.

Sunday Market Chiang Mai. Walking Street. -. [. Translate this page. .] The. Sunday Market. in. Chiang Mai. is also Known as the Weekend. Market. Street or walking. Market.. It is a. Chiang Mai. Institution and a must see for everyone. ...

Www.embrace.Chiangmai..com / index.php? ...Sundaymarketchaingmai

ive been to walking street sunday market every sunday for at least 5 years,would not miss it for anything,its becoming a habit now,lol.

I let the wife go and be the tour guide. I go have a beer.:lol:

Edited by gotlost

Sunday market is great, go. It's more than 50% Thai customers so that should tell you right away it's not a "tourist-rip-off" place like the night bazaar. There's also less bargaining at the sunday market because prices don't start at 300% fair value. Many places have fixed price (which means it's cheap).

I like the student section the best - one road is full of artists and students selling their things, and prices are amazing. You can get some nice little handicraft things there for 10, 20, 30 Baht. It's on the side-road leading to the Three Kings monument.

The rest is mostly shops from all over town, but any other time they are not all in one place like here.

Recommended.

Edit: Almost forgot, check out the temples on the side of the road, most of them are filled with food stalls. Really great local foods, huge variety, very good prices. My Thai wife goes there mostly for the food.

The khao soy at Wat Phan On is superb, and only ฿20. Aroi mak!

JohnLocke has been attending since 2003, and it has only grown more popular as time has gone by. The goods on sale are definitely priced fairly, but after a while, how many fisherman's pants and incense-holders can one desire? The best reason to go is PEOPLE WATCHING (which I think is partially enhanced by the incandescent lighting). Yes, it is a well-packed throng, so come carrying as little as possible. And there are several bars to seek refuge in if you need refreshment. Another tip is the leg massage places - it's a cheap exotic thrill to sit back on the edge of the push and shove, let your feet be abused, take in the various traditional Thai music going around (or up and down the way) and realize you're in a distant land.

You can always send your gifts home with one of the many postal services in Chiang Mai such as UPS and others.