Having A Baby On Samui

BigC

hi,

i am male 32 and i am having a baby. problem is i don't know how to do it.

advice please. what clinics or hospitals do dilveries.

what times are they open. what are3 there reps like.

cheers all ears

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to clear my girl friend and wife to be in having a baby. just would like to know of good places on the island that don't rip u off with having un nessecary opertations just to boost their pay package. there again i would like a good doctor who knows what they are doing.

any suggestions please. Then after that it is off to war with the Romains

Get a private room for her at Nathon hospital. Rooms are fine, view from window very nice and they can deliver a baby just aswell as they do at Bangkok Samui hospital and you won't have to take out a second mortgage.

(Please don't use Bangkok Samui hospital. They are a boil on the arse of healthcare.)

Get a private room for her at Nathon hospital. Rooms are fine, view from window very nice and they can deliver a baby just aswell as they do at Bangkok Samui hospital and you won't have to take out a second mortgage.

(Please don't use Bangkok Samui hospital. They are a boil on the arse of healthcare.)

Agreed.....and congrats to you BigC I take it you know where to buy the cigars? B)

just to clear my girl friend and wife to be in having a baby. just would like to know of good places on the island that don't rip u off with having un nessecary opertations just to boost their pay package. there again i would like a good doctor who knows what they are doing.

any suggestions please. Then after that it is off to war with the Romains

lol, BigC, you do have a way with words. I had to wonder after reading the OP.

Gotta agree with carmine's assessment on Nathon hosptial vs Bkk Samui. After the number they did on my FIL to try and milk even more money out of him, I won't ever be recommending Bkk Samui to anyone. Nathon hospital is pretty good and the Ob/gyn is on the main road, just down from the Samui mart.

i concur wholeheartedly. my first was born in nathon and it went so well that i thought i'd try it again so i'll be back there in 7 months for another deliver.

I have heard that the delivering doc for Nathon is great, but if you don't get a VIP room it can be a tricky thing. I heard the place is not so clean. Is that true?

I am 25 weeks along and moving from Phangan to Samui in November:) Anyone know about natural birthing options, doulas, midwives or water births on Samui? I saw Thai inter used to have water birth, but doesn't look like it anymore?

I am excited that the baby is coming soon, but getting nervous to find the right place to deliver and starting to consider Samitivej hospital in Bangkok as a good option.

Any advice?:)

And... congratulations to the other parents and soon to be parents!

I have heard that the delivering doc for Nathon is great, but if you don't get a VIP room it can be a tricky thing. I heard the place is not so clean. Is that true?

I am 25 weeks along and moving from Phangan to Samui in November:) Anyone know about natural birthing options, doulas, midwives or water births on Samui? I saw Thai inter used to have water birth, but doesn't look like it anymore?

I am excited that the baby is coming soon, but getting nervous to find the right place to deliver and starting to consider Samitivej hospital in Bangkok as a good option.

Any advice?:)

And... congratulations to the other parents and soon to be parents!

not sure why you wouldn't get a VIP room, it doesn't cost anything even remotely significant. the hospital itself may not be polished and smell of ammonia but i was very happy with their service.

Agreed.....and congrats to you BigC I take it you know where to buy the cigars? B)

thanks all. much apricated. do u have the name of hotel if possible ? also i don't smoke but i suppose it is about time i started. will wait till the baby is born then will make a new resolution to start smoking.

cheers :D

I optedd Bangkok Samui for my misses in July and yes it was maybe a little more expensive, but the pre care, the 3day stay in Hospital ( i opted for a package) and the after care have all been first class

Congratulations Big C

Edited by mufcsamui

I am ... starting to consider Samitivej hospital in Bangkok as a good option.

Well, me Basement Cat is also due with a Basement Kitten this winter. I go to Thai Inter for regular check-ups, and I am pleased so far. Have to admit though that I had negative personal experience with fancy Bangkok Samui hospital and don't go there anymore. Thai Inter delivers 1 baby a week in average, and their ob/gyn confirmed that in case of complications mainland is the destination. I am sure Nathon does more than one, but still their equipment and doctors' qualification is unlikely sufficient to deal with any serious complications should they arise. Thus, even if Thai Inter would offer a water birth, I would not be willing to be the first (second?) person to attempt it. I absolutely do not recommend you to attempt home birth at Samui, because no hospital here will support you. My personal choice is to travel to Bangkok for delivery, Samitivej is definitely an option. In case of emergency it is either Nathon hospital in Samui or Thaksin hospital in Surat for me.

Thanks for that info! So, I was thinking complications would lead to pitocin drips or c-sections, what 'complications' would send a woman in labor off the island?

As for the VIP rooms in NAthon, I heard that there were only a few and that because they deliver more babies, sometimes there is a wait for the room or there aren't any available in which case, then what?

I know that I can't do a homebirth here because there isn't any support for it, which is why I am looking for a hospital that will let me deliver in 'peace' or at least be mobile and possible deliver off the surgical bed! some birth centers let women squat as they deliver, which works with gravity and opens the hips more, but the BKK samui doc said that I 'have to stay on the bed as soon as the water breaks so I don't compress the umbilical cord'... as far as I have read, that is a load of bs and I should be able to be mobile as sometimes the water breaks up to a day or more before the fetus is even ready to come out!

Samitivej looks good on the website and by email, but I have yet to talk to or visit one of their docs... anyone else been there?

...just to clear my girl friend and wife to be in having a baby.

So that's double trouble for you BigC, isn't it? Both girl friend and wife at the same time, what a misfortune in terms of fund management.

No credit crunch had to sack my mia noi. pound ain't helping. Just the one misses at the moment. status will change according to the status of the pound to the baht. sorry ladies :realangry:

We will soon have to start a 'Baby C Naming Competition' .

thinking if a boy then jack. after jack the ripper. if girl maybe Tiger. Or if a boy and bald. he can be called Mini Me.

I know that it sounds a bit hard naming my son after a vishious killer. but it will give him street cred in the years to come.

If i call my daughter Tiger it will mean she needs taming or she will kill with her claws.

The good thing about my kids is that everybody loves taking care of them because they feel sorry for them having a dad like me. lol

thanks for the congratulations. The new Big C mafia is growing in size. :jap:

Thanks for that info! So, I was thinking complications would lead to pitocin drips or c-sections, what 'complications' would send a woman in labor off the island?

As for the VIP rooms in NAthon, I heard that there were only a few and that because they deliver more babies, sometimes there is a wait for the room or there aren't any available in which case, then what?

I know that I can't do a homebirth here because there isn't any support for it, which is why I am looking for a hospital that will let me deliver in 'peace' or at least be mobile and possible deliver off the surgical bed! some birth centers let women squat as they deliver, which works with gravity and opens the hips more, but the BKK samui doc said that I 'have to stay on the bed as soon as the water breaks so I don't compress the umbilical cord'... as far as I have read, that is a load of bs and I should be able to be mobile as sometimes the water breaks up to a day or more before the fetus is even ready to come out!

Samitivej looks good on the website and by email, but I have yet to talk to or visit one of their docs... anyone else been there?

The private rooms are way to expensive for a "normal" Thai.

I think they charge 1500 baht per day.

MMHE_22_261_01_1_eps.gif

MMHE_22_261_01_2_eps.gif

The abnormal positions Thai International or Bangkok hospital can not handle.

They have to take them to Nathon in Ambulance for at least 30 min (night time)

apperntly i was born with the cord wrapped round my neck. always been a messy git :D

I don't know the ins and outs of the maternity care in Samui's private hospitals but I have plenty of experience having worked in private places in the UK such as the Portland etc.

While the privacy, fluffy pillows and better catering services are most welcome the level of support should things go badly wrong during the late stage of pregnancy are limited in my view and would likely require transfer to another hospital.

If my partner was giving birth I would want to go to the busiest maternity unit with proper regular experience of dealing with any eventuality and the resources to act swiftly The only hospital which fits the bill on Samui is Nathon. The only reason the hospital's public areas aren't as plush as the others is that they spend all the money on patient care instead.

Pay for a private room there and all the cash you spend will go to help other people on Samui as well as yourself rather than line the pockets....;)

Bear in mind serious complications are rare......have an epidural......just my few satangs......good luck!

:jap:

Agreed. A friend of mine went there to have the baby. They told him it was overdue and induced it. Turned out they were wrong and it was premature. So they put the baby on an incubator but set it wrong. This caused cysts to occur on the baby's lungs and water started to fill the lungs. Emergency ambulance to Thaksin hospital in Surrat where they stabilized the poor baby. Back to Samui. He refused to pay the bill so the hospital refused to give his wife's passport back. he contacted his embassy and an official came to Samui to meet with hospital admin. They agreed they had made a mistake but still wanted to be paid or no passport. My friend is now suing the f**king hospital with the help of his embassy and has flown back to Europe with his wife and baby to sort out this whole mess. Don't have a baby on Samui. Thaksin hospital is a better bet!