Briggs & Stratton Lawnmower Engine

Greenside

I have a Lawnmower with a Biggs & Stratton engine originally bought from Home Pro about three years ago. It needs a proper service and a couple of spare parts but Home Pro's solution is to send it to the agent in BKK which (knowing them) could take ages. Both HomePro and Global House sell brands that use this make of engine (second only to Honda in the world as far as popularity goes, it's said) - does anyone know of a shop that keeps parts and offers service?

Good repair shop on SE corner of Super Highway and Chotona Road(the road that goes to Mae Rim). If you are coming from Tesco Lotus Khumtiang on the frontage road, park before the traffic light and walk down to the corner shop. You will see mowers and other tools in front of the shop. They have sold B&S powered mowers and very probably have what you need. They also repair a variety of other power tools. I have had many repairs done there, all good.

My first port of call. They replaced the blade and did a "service" but that just consisted of changing the plug and the oil - they stopped short of curing the hunting problem I was having with the engine. When I pointed that out to them they said they didn't carry parts for B&S and directed me to HomePro. I agree with you that they are usually first rate but sadly, not this time :(.

Incidentally, it's called Montri.

I was unfortunate enough to buy a Briggs & Stratton engined lawn mower also. It has been nothing but a pain, since I could not find anyone in CM who could repair it properly. Home Pro sent it to Bangkok for repair, but it still never worked right. Eventually, after three years I just gave up on it. Fortunately I bought a Honda engined lawn mower shortly afterwards, when it became clear the BS was only going to work occasionally. We now have two Honda engined mowers (a lot of lawn). So far, touch wood, they have been reliable. My advice would be to forget your mower and buy another (not BS engined). I know this sounds crazy, but I wish I'd done that myself years ago. I could have saved myself considerable money and aggravation.

My first port of call. They replaced the blade and did a "service" but that just consisted of changing the plug and the oil - they stopped short of curing the hunting problem I was having with the engine. When I pointed that out to them they said they didn't carry parts for B&S and directed me to HomePro. I agree with you that they are usually first rate but sadly, not this time :(.

Incidentally, it's called Montri.

It has been said:

"Hunting is almost always caused by a lean fuel ratio (partially clogged or misadjusted carb or air leak)."

If so, perhaps no parts are needed.

I have owned nothing but Briggs and Stratton mowers for 35 years and my SOP is simple - run it WFO all the time and change the oil.

Mechanically they are very simple, however if you do not know that the points are under the flywwheel, how to pull the flywheel, or it has points at all then fixing it will be problematic at best. Plug, points, air filter, and oil maintenance, will keep it running for ever. As noted, hunting sounds like an air leak or other carb issue.

Does it hunt when WFO?

I have owned nothing but Briggs and Stratton mowers for 35 years and my SOP is simple - run it WFO all the time and change the oil.

Mechanically they are very simple, however if you do not know that the points are under the flywwheel, how to pull the flywheel, or it has points at all then fixing it will be problematic at best. Plug, points, air filter, and oil maintenance, will keep it running for ever. As noted, hunting sounds like an air leak or other carb issue.

Does it hunt when WFO?

Had to look up WFO!

The throttle position made very little difference to the speed the engine was running or the way it performed - hunting and weak at all levels. Fooled around with the governor, cleaned the air filter again and all the remedies I could see online but to no avail.

I'm pleased to report a successful conclusion to the Briggs & Stratton saga. I'd become resigned to having HomePro return the machine to BKK (400 baht minimum charge for just looking at it) when the customer help desk suddenly tripped into overdrive and came up with the name of a company in town who fixed it brilliantly within 24 hours (new carb gasket and cleanup) and fitted a replacement second hand throttle lever as requested. Total outlay 700 baht and it's running good as new.

They have two branches here. Look for Arkarnsin in the index.

Edited by Greenside

As guessed an air leak or other carb issue

In future try spraying carb cleaner or some other flammable stuff(in Canada I used ether based starting fluid but be careful not to blow the head off) over suspected areas when running. if it speeds up, there is your leak

Thanks for sharing the shop name.

Edited by Hog Head

To be honest, my days of taking engines to bits ended about the time they did away with side valves and so stripping the B&S down didn't appeal. The gasket they left in an oily plastic bag as evidence was in bad shape so having the right spare part was clearly important (yes, I know you can make them) so for 700 baht including a replacement throttle lever I am well pleased.

One of the problems with just trying local repair shops is that I've found that they are inclined to say they can fix anything, (a) because they are eternally optimistic, and (bee) because they suspect that you're a clueless farang who probably did the lawnmower equivalent of using the CD tray as a cup holder. This leads to endless time wasting days doing the rounds when they find out that they have no clue about how to make a start.

Since most people told us that B&S engines are unserviceable here (so how about this Honda at the back of the store), finding this place was the high point of my week!

Sad, really.

PS: How do you stop a b in brackets from turning into a Smiley?

Edited by Greenside
  • Thanks 1