Canadian Immigration

This may be a shot in the dark...

Has anyone had experience with the Immigrant Nominee Program in Canada? Particularly in Saskatchewan, under the family class. My husband's cousin (Thai) would like to come and work here with us. He seems to meet all the critera, but I'd like to talk to someone who's done it before.

Thanks!

If he meets all the criteria for the job there is a fast lane way to get him there.

If it is a job that can be done by a Canadian you have to advertise in Canada in your local area so as to allow the Canadians first go at the job.If no one wants it then you apply to have him come do the job. Immigration in Canada will require proof of employee search. How it was done where you advertised etc. Plus a list of applicants who either turned down the job or werenot qualified. I believe you try for one month check on that.

If it makes it far enough that no one gets the job in Canada.There is a chance you can bring him in under employment sponsorship. Keep it all above board. If you refuse to hire someone who will take the job and is qualified you better be ready for lots of explaining to the immigration as to why.

May I be so bold as to ask what kind of job it is?

He hasn't looked for a job yet. We are just beginning the planning. It is my understanding that under this program (specifically family class) he doesn't need to have a job offer so long as he has $10000 minimum in his bank account, and intentions to find work (as well as a degree or diploma, which he has, though it is in tourism and i am not sure if that is an area that will qualify?). I also think that the job he finds doesn't neccessarily have to be in his field, but this is something I'd like confirmation on.

I don't think the same rules apply to this program, as there are categories like bartending and serving, or office work, which are definately things Canadians can do.

If there is anyone who has gone through this route specifically in Saskatchewan, I'd love to talk about it with you!

Thanks for the info, but I am not sure if it applies in this case?

He hasn't looked for a job yet. We are just beginning the planning. It is my understanding that under this program (specifically family class) he doesn't need to have a job offer so long as he has $10000 minimum in his bank account, and intentions to find work (as well as a degree or diploma, which he has, though it is in tourism and i am not sure if that is an area that will qualify?). I also think that the job he finds doesn't neccessarily have to be in his field, but this is something I'd like confirmation on.

I don't think the same rules apply to this program, as there are categories like bartending and serving, or office work, which are definately things Canadians can do.

If there is anyone who has gone through this route specifically in Saskatchewan, I'd love to talk about it with you!

Thanks for the info, but I am not sure if it applies in this case?

I amnot positive but I think what I explained is under the family class. Filipinas have been doing it for years.One comes over after 5 years is landed immgrant gets a job. Brings their son or daughter over. They then advertise for a nanny to take care fo their child . They make the job as unattractive as possible so no Canadian will take it. Things like short hours middle of the week etc. They advertise the required time. Then apply to immigration to have their sister or neice or some relative come to fill the job. Some get in some donot. You did state( come work with us)I took that to mean as a job related to the one you are doing or working for you.

If you are in Canada my suggestion is go talk with asians at their asian centers they have them all over the country the are a great source of knowledge . Just look them up in the telephone book. Call them ask them when they have socials for others to attend and ask questions on how to do.

Many asian cultural centers have weekly dinners or lunchs people can attend and meet. i think you are sourcing at the wrong end .

Also I believe it is your finacial position not his that needs to be looked at by immigration.

Edited by lovelomsak

you are thinking "sponsoring" someone under family class. This is different. The Immigrant Nominee Program is set up to make it easier for anyone to immigrate to Canada. As we will not be sponsoring him (we would be considered "supporting family members" only -no legal obligations) there is no financial obligation on our behalf. I believe this "family" part of the program has only been around a year or so.

I didn't mean work with us, I meant work (somewhere) in Canada and live with us. My mistake, it was worded incorrectly :blink:

We are actually in Thailand right now, so my resources are limited. Sask isn't the most popular province to move to :whistling: so it's not easy to find someone here who's done this before. I figured there may be someone here who knows...??