An Apology To Chiang Rai

Thighlander

Recently, I visited Chiang Rai for a few days. When I returned to CNX; I flamed them. I had been through CR many times, but it was the first time there for several days. My main complaint was the raunchiness of the tourist area. Well I came back. This time I did one thing different. I turned right at Wat Jet Yod, instead of turning left, as I left my 200 per night GH room. Makes all the difference in the World. I now have found 9 THB per hour high speed internet, and a wonderful place to excercise at the old airport. So you know the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover," well How about "Don't judge an entire city by it's red light district." Just by going a different road I have found outstanding noodle shops for 30 THB, and also found massage for 100 per hour just like in CM. Unfortunately, I'm taking antibiotics for a root canal (great CM endodentist) and won't be drinking until Thursday. I'll let you know if I find a killer drinking deal like the three large Tigers for 129 THB at the Dayli. This may be the place I retire. Chiang Mai can be quite nice, though, its enjoyability may be closer to the top of it's lifecycle.

WHAT? Chiang Rai has a red light district? What have I been missing? Maybe I'll have to go back and have another look. I thought Chiang Rai was a sleepy little burg for impotent old farangs to slowly disolve in misery. :lol:

WHAT? Chiang Rai has a red light district? What have I been missing? Maybe I'll have to go back and have another look. I thought Chiang Rai was a sleepy little burg for impotent old farangs to slowly disolve in misery. :lol:

Give Phitsanulok ago around the bus station.:whistling:

Behave yourself Forbsy :D

So Chiang Rai is the paradise of the cheap charlies.

Would that be in opposition to the city of Chiang Mai, paradise to the pretentious Peters, constantly stressed out where to save a few baat on their farang foods?

Chiang Rai's a wonderful place.

Every time I visit, go down to the park north end of town by the municipal offices, with the huge old growth trees near the river....I say this could be it for me.

Problem is simple inertia- I have a very nice apt in a decent neighborhood. But the traffic, constant new construction and attendant noise are starting to get to me here in CM.

Chiang Rai has the same smoke problem as CM in the burning season- maybe even a little worse.

It has Tops, Makro and other major retail outlets.

For food/restaurant scene, it is nowhere near CM yet, but slowly developing.

Hospitals- OK but nothing like what is available in CM for advanced medical care.

Nice little expat community, many of whom are on the Thai Visa Chiang Rai sub-forum.

To me, it seems an ideal place to move to, if and when CM becomes just too popular for its own good.

Which it is slowly getting, IMHO.

B)

I thought the only sort of boom boom still left in Chiang Rai were the sounds of pensioners having heart attacks. This does surprise me.

Edited by Beetlejuice

with so many quiet and peaceful places near CM then it seems overkill to move to CR. Can live 10 to 30 km outside of CM and still have a reasonable trip to CM shopping and entertainment options.

Seems hard to believe CR is that much a better deal. Maybe someday but right now what a compromise in terms of convenience. CM has a international airport with direct connections to Taipei and KL. CR is a pain in so many ways.

Can't disagree with that, CSN and elektrified.

It is a bit boring to some, I guess.

But one person's boring, is another's serenity and peace.

Of course, I understand that those who have put down serious roots here (spouse, house, business, circle of friends, etc.) will never leave CM. Too much invested here to uproot.

Not surpised he can get a massage at the Old airport. what surprises mehe comlains the rest of the town is too raunchy but the old red light district is great. :whistling:

He will be telling us next that the Red Rose is a nice quiet family hotel.

He just cant help but to insist that a bar is losing at least 93 baht a case on beer.:whistling:

Lots of bars do that. The beer is not very cold. Would you like to buy some ice?

A) It's been there for at least four years, which is about three years longer than most bars last that charge 100 each.

B) The beers are rotated in and out of a freezer, and last time I checked the temp was at -5.9c.

C) They will also give them to you one at a time, if you sit at the bar.

Have you ever considered that there may be a beer/price war going on?

Chiang Rai's a wonderful place.

Every time I visit, go down to the park north end of town by the municipal offices, with the huge old growth trees near the river....I say this could be it for me.

Problem is simple inertia- I have a very nice apt in a decent neighborhood. But the traffic, constant new construction and attendant noise are starting to get to me here in CM.

Chiang Rai has the same smoke problem as CM in the burning season- maybe even a little worse.

It has Tops, Makro and other major retail outlets.

For food/restaurant scene, it is nowhere near CM yet, but slowly developing.

Hospitals- OK but nothing like what is available in CM for advanced medical care.

Nice little expat community, many of whom are on the Thai Visa Chiang Rai sub-forum.

To me, it seems an ideal place to move to, if and when CM becomes just too popular for its own good.

Which it is slowly getting, IMHO.

B)

A very reasonable assessment. It's a little like the situation where I grew up. Houses used to cost 20,000 US. Now they cost 400,000 US. Would you like to take a guess as to when the schools were better, there was less crime, lower taxes, less traffic/pollution? Cities work in cycles. The sheep get slaughtered, just like those in America that waited until the housing boom had been on for 6 years and finally bought. The late comers get slaughtered the worst.

He just cant help but to insist that a bar is losing at least 93 baht a case on beer.:whistling:

Lots of bars do that. The beer is not very cold. Would you like to buy some ice?

A) It's been there for at least four years, which is about three years longer than most bars last that charge 100 each.

B) The beers are rotated in and out of a freezer, and last time I checked the temp was at -5.9c.

More power to your story. At 129 for 3 that's 43 per bottle or 516 baht per case. No profit. Tiger sells for 609 to 638 large per case. If the venue is actually selling for this; the beer is either pass due or came of the back side of a loading dock and I' ll take the back sided.:whistling: At the moment Tiger is not not known for a long self life.

More power to your story. At 129 for 3 that's 43 per bottle or 516 baht per case. No profit. Tiger sells for 609 to 638 large per case. If the venue is actually selling for this; the beer is either pass due or came of the back side of a loading dock and I' ll take the back sided.:whistling: At the moment Tiger is not not known for a long self life.

Not sure if this is a personal battle, so apologies if I'm speaking out of turn...

However, I went there with my family the other week on the back of the constant press it gets here. We got Asahi at 129 for three large bottles (they also offered the same deal for Leo, Chang and Tiger - remarkably most of the Thais there were drinking the two cheap local brews). We were sat at a table and after I asked for an ice bucket for the other two bottles, they said 'no worries we'll keep them in the fridge for you'. They then brought them out one at a time when we asked for them.

The nine bottles of cold Asahi were great., The food though was distinctly average. Not somewhere I'd ever go to eat again.

Not sure if this is a personal battle, so apologies if I'm speaking out of turn...

However, I went there with my family the other week on the back of the constant press it gets here. We got Asahi at 129 for three large bottles (they also offered the same deal for Leo, Chang and Tiger - remarkably most of the Thais there were drinking the two cheap local brews). We were sat at a table and after I asked for an ice bucket for the other two bottles, they said 'no worries we'll keep them in the fridge for you'. They then brought them out one at a time when we asked for them.

The nine bottles of cold Asahi were great., The food though was distinctly average. Not somewhere I'd ever go to eat again.

No apology needed. Jump right in. So the food is shyt. Would you go back for drinking?:burp:

with so many quiet and peaceful places near CM then it seems overkill to move to CR. Can live 10 to 30 km outside of CM and still have a reasonable trip to CM shopping and entertainment options.

Seems hard to believe CR is that much a better deal. Maybe someday but right now what a compromise in terms of convenience. CM has a international airport with direct connections to Taipei and KL. CR is a pain in so many ways.

What I remember was a nice community.

How ever I don't own a vehicle or have any desire to. And it did not seem the public transportation was as available as I find here.

One other thing because it does not have the prominence of Chiang Mai we don't hear much about it. I have heard it said on more than one occasion by people who live there that they come to Chiang Mai for the better air quality. dosen't say much for there air quality.

No apology needed. Jump right in. So the food is shyt. Would you go back for drinking?:burp:

Debatable. The atmosphere is distinctly average and parking is a bit of a nightmare.

3 Tigers for 129 and you're driving? Did you consider parking at Kad San Gow, or is 700 meters too far?

Edited by sbk
flame removed-mind your manners

Debatable. The atmosphere is distinctly average and parking is a bit of a nightmare.

3 Tigers for 129 and you're driving? Must be pretty bright. Did you consider parking at Kad San Gow, or is 700 meters too far ?

Where did I say I was driving,

Edited by sbk
flame removed-mind your manners

Let's all take a deep breath, in...hold....out, repeat 10 times.:)

Anyway, CR does have a vibrant night life, mostly centered around Thai venues.

And I'm not talking about Thanon Jet Yod. That's like Chang Klan Rd. in CM- Tourist Central.

If you haven't been in a few years, or you just breezed through on your way to Mae Sai, or maybe you spent one night in a hotel and didn't know anything about the town, and where to go or what to do.....I suggest one should perhaps contemplate another visit. Spend at least a day or two- go up the Kok river to the hilltribe villages, maybe rent a motorsai and go for a ride on the excellent mountain roads, zip over to Doi Mae Salong and visit Kuomintang tea growers, etc.

Last time I was there, I sat with a group of local TV members at the Swiss Deli, and we enjoyed some excellent cheeses and other Swiss delicacies courtesy of member Limbo. I recall some were drinking tea, others Pepsi, and others an excellent German imported beer.

It's not Outer Mongolia there. Check it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. B)

Let's all take a deep breath, in...hold....out, repeat 10 times.:)

Anyway, CR does have a vibrant night life, mostly centered around Thai venues.

And I'm not talking about Thanon Jet Yod. That's like Chang Klan Rd. in CM- Tourist Central.

If you haven't been in a few years, or you just breezed through on your way to Mae Sai, or maybe you spent one night in a hotel and didn't know anything about the town, and where to go or what to do.....I suggest one should perhaps contemplate another visit. Spend at least a day or two- go up the Kok river to the hilltribe villages, maybe rent a motorsai and go for a ride on the excellent mountain roads, zip over to Doi Mae Salong and visit Kuomintang tea growers, etc.

Last time I was there, I sat with a group of local TV members at the Swiss Deli, and we enjoyed some excellent cheeses and other Swiss delicacies courtesy of member Limbo. I recall some were drinking tea, others Pepsi, and others an excellent German imported beer.

It's not Outer Mongolia there. Check it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. B)

Sounds like a good suggestion, McGriffith. I've just purchased a new Garmin GPS and hope to load the latest Thailand maps onto it. I'll feel a little more comfortable knowing where I am and where I intend to go. I hate traveling where I can't always read the road signs.