Real Lemons

Sir Burr

Seems like most of the "Farmer Giles" types are in the Esaan forum, so posting my question here.

Do they grow real lemons here? Not manow, which I believe is a kind of lime; the real type, yellow, big, with the knobbly bit at each end. Thanks.

Edited by Sir Burr

Seems like most of the "Farmer Giles" types are in the Esaan forum, so posting my question here.

Do they grow real lemons here? Not manow, which I believe is a kind of lime; the real type, yellow, big, with the knobbly bit at each end. Thanks.

Yes; they do grow real lemons here. Quite a few of the villages in Lower Isaan have trees. They are not the same shape as the lemons we know, they are round, like grapefruit, but definately lemons. We did bring some lemon trees in from UK, and they are doing well, but yet to bear fruit. The only other lemons we had here have moved to Cha Am. :o

Thanks for your swift reply Lampard10.

So, as far as you know, there are no farang style lemons grown. I wonder why? I would have thought that anyone who could grow them could make a killing selling them to all the 5-star hotels, as they need them for garnish.

I believe you're thinking of varieties like Bearss and Meyer -- the usually yellow-colored, ovoid fruit with an oil-rich skin and the "lumps" on either end.

I've only been here a short time, but I haven't seen them either.

When I lived on Saipan, which has a tropical climate, similar to coastal and island Thailand, I successfully grew this sort of lemon. Production was not high, however, which might explain why they are not commonly grown here. They are commercially grown in places like Florida and tropical South America, however.

Thanks for your swift reply Lampard10.

So, as far as you know, there are no farang style lemons grown. I wonder why? I would have thought that anyone who could grow them could make a killing selling them to all the 5-star hotels, as they need them for garnish.

When the Thai lemons are sliced,they look and taste exactly like our European variety. Sometimes we have to cut the peel off but otherwise they're fine.

Probably find where there imported from at President Foods. Never seen them grown naturally here. :o  Sure there are. they are a treat with a few of my favorite beverages. :D Never seen the 714s either. :D

There are trees producing around Udon, but as I undestand it the Thais don't like them so they are not commercially grown. Friend of mine is growing one from seeds now. I have looked around nurseries for them but have not found one as of yet. If you could find one about five years along I believe you would have fruit quickly.

I don't know if she is taken the Mick,but the wife says Thai's don't like them because of the colour.Yellow is a religious colour associted with monks and temples and around here no one ever wears yellow clothing.(except farang)