Acceptable Id When Flying Domestic

monkeyofdoom

I live in Chiang Mai and have planned a vacation down south next month, but my lawyer will need my passport while I am gone to renew my visa. Has anyone had personal experience using identification other than a passport when checking in to domestic flights, or copy of the passport? I was thinking a Thai driver's license might do the trick?

You should also cary a copy of your passport with all relevant pages of your visa status as if the authorities outside the airport wish to question you, you could have a problem being hundreds kilometers away from your passport. Personally I would never make that kind of trip without my passport on my person.

Edited by gotlost

Any photo ID, even a foreign ID, is okey for a domestic flight check-in/security check.

Spot on. I have used Thai driving license, International driving license, even a Tarongo Zoo pass (with photo) with no problems on flights. However, carry the passport copy for other reasons. (Security checks, hotels etc). make sure that you copy the detail page AND the page with the entry stamp on as well (or extension to stay).

When we go to hotels my wife registers. Often I am struggling with the bags but am around at reception so we don't try to hide the fact there is a falang involved! I have never had a demand for me to register or to see my passport (and they do not know she is my wife, so it works for any Thai traveling companion). Worked last week at 4 different hotels on the South Eastern seaboard so I question whether the reported immigration crack-down is having any effect.

I do it that way ever since I stupidly Ieft my passport at a hotel at great inconvenience. They will always hand back a Thai ID card but occasionally want to hang on to a passport to write it up later.

I wouldn't rely on that without taking a copy passport with me though.

Edited by SantiSuk

I thought that if your Visa was being extended you had to be physically there, with the lawyer.

There's a proxy letter that needs to be filled out and signed to allow a 3rd party to do it.

I have always used either my Thai DL or university photo ID when flying domestic without problems.