Sugar Cane Farming

jdub

Hi,

What is an average expected return on planting 1 rai with sugar cane? I have several rai just trying to do some simple math.

If any members can chime in with previous experience and revenues, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

jdub

HI Jdub if you use the search function you will get some answers use "sugar cane" and do some really good research in your area..... soilcondition , water ,how far to buyer labour costs etc etc...

if everything is great i recon around 15 tons / rai

Regards Mikki B)

Thanks so much Mikki. I will do that. Off hand do you know what a ton goes for these days?

jdub

We can get a lot more precisely. When you harvest do you bound 12-13 sugarcanes. 40-50 of those bounds will be one tons. It means if you in average in 1 meter has about 3 sugarcanes will your return be about 22-30. I do have a rai with more than 35 tons pr rai. If you search will you find out that average in Thailand is only 10 tons pr rai. A part of the reason is of course the weather but I will say it is even more important how you are seeding and taken care of the fields.

1. Timing in seeding. 2 periods. End October and end February. October is great because still lots of water and easy to get over the critical stage. As long the sugar canes are more than 1 meter are they difficult to kill. February do you need to add water manually and hope for the rain season dont start to late. 2 different periods because harvest in 2 totally different periods. About December and April. Sugar fabric is open during all month but the price is only good in 2 month
  2. Use a tractor and machine for seeding. You will get a lot more seeds of each meter. You have to wade 3 to 4 times to remove most weeds
  3. Manure of fields 3 times. Important to find the best manure if the 3 different periods.
  4. 1 time to remove weeds. Timing here is also important

If you follow the 4 steps will you get in average a lot better than 15 tons pr rai. Remember in other countries with a lot more experience than thais is the average 30 tons pr rai.

Thanks so much Mikki. I will do that. Off hand do you know what a ton goes for these days?

jdub

Hi jdub sorry not at the moment but ill ask my friend his bil is in the sugar cane farming. Prices are up and down during the year but ive heard of up to 1500thb/ton if you wait some time after you delivered the canes to the mill youll get a higher price you can also get a better price if you deliver over a certain amount of tonnes. so if you are near the limit you could buy some of neigbours and make some extra bahts

see if you can get some numbers at the mills in your area. and talk to thoose who grow sugar canes in your area. do some really good recon of as much as possible and you will save baths and get a better start

what area are you located in?

Regards Mikk i B)

thanks that's helped a lot, I've got about 1 rai which we planted cucumbers on under plastic sheets and drip fed It was ok but we neede workers every morning to pick them for about three months and and there was a lot of runing around and up at 5 every motning before it got to hot etc.

So this year i was allso thinking of growing sugar kane, A Thai chap down the road who's got about a Rai to went and got the seeds from a consortem who give you the right sort of Kane seeds and deduct the price off what they pay you for it when its ready to harvest, Apparently they cut it as well.

Im in suppanburi and thats all i know at the moment, In all areas ther will be a company who take peoples produce and pay them what they got the next day, here you would be able to get all the information you will need , good luck