Uk Citizen- Getting Medic Insurance For 1 Year +

If a UK citizen was to live in Thailand for say 12 months or more with a non imm O visa what do people do about insurance just in case you get run over or have a heart attack or something? I have very briefly looked at backpackers insurance but this is aimed at young people ( and its been a long time since I have been that!). Can you get insurance here in the uk and say you are going on an extended holiday and get cover for various countries or do people do it a different way?

If a UK citizen was to live in Thailand for say 12 months or more with a non imm O visa what do people do about insurance just in case you get run over or have a heart attack or something? I have very briefly looked at backpackers insurance but this is aimed at young people ( and its been a long time since I have been that!). Can you get insurance here in the uk and say you are going on an extended holiday and get cover for various countries or do people do it a different way?

As far I as know 1 year travel insurance will only cover you for 30 days at a time. You could take out health insurance in Thailand ie Bupa, thaihealth etc which can cover you incase of an emergency. They also do life insurance if needed.

Hope this helps

:o

As far I as know 1 year travel insurance will only cover you for 30 days at a time.

Not true..

You can get travel insurance that will cover you for up to a year away (sometimes longer) at one time.

In the past I have bought a six month "backpacker" policy to cover my stay in Thailand. I have taken off personal possesions, added double excess to keep the cost down. The reason being I only wanted it so that it would get me back to the UK in a serious situation and cover any costs/expenses in the case of a major problem.

I have used this company before and paid about £80 for 6 months

http://www.insureandgo.com/Travel-Insurance/travelhome.html

Shop around, there's plenty of companies to choose from. If you are above the age limit for the "backpacker" insurance then just use the "single trip" option, it can still be low cost. Again shop around as different companies have different age limits.

totster :o

P.s please note. A normal condition of these policies is that the trip originates and terminates in the country of origin.

Edited by Totster