Any Good Unlimited 3G Service In Bkk?

stanny

My apartment is in Victory Monument and it does not have a phone line so any land line service is out. What's a good unlimited 3g service in BKK? I can't get any with a limited download cap such as 10gb as I am a heavy user. Oh yeah if that's not possible, I can also get this TrueWifi connection but only 2 bars. That any good?

Edited by stanny

True has an unlimited 3G package available right now, its their 'iPhone 599' package but they will sell it to you even if you dont have an iPhone.

• 300mins of calls
  • 300 SMS's
  • 50 MMS's
  • Unlimited Edge
  • Unlimited Wifi (Auto connects, uses your devices MAC Address for authentication)
  • Unlimited 3G

599b per month. not sure if that includes or excludes taxes

I am on this package right now, i have been on it for just under a month, i get a constant 3G signal around bangkok. The wifi is dodgy, and i often turn off the Wifi sevice on my phone using either Edge or 3G.

What device are you trying to connect with? A smart phone or a laptop/aircard/pc?

Edited by MunterHunter

True has an unlimited 3G package available right now, its their 'iPhone 599' package but they will sell it to you even if you dont have an iPhone.

• 300mins of calls
  • 300 SMS's
  • 50 MMS's
  • Unlimited Edge
  • Unlimited Wifi (Auto connects, uses your devices MAC Address for authentication)
  • Unlimited 3G

I am on this package right now, i have been on it for just under a month, i get a constant 3G signal around bangkok. The wifi is dodgy, and i often turn off the Wifi sevice on my phone using either Edge or 3G.

What device are you trying to connect with? A smart phone or a laptop/aircard/pc?

I am using my laptop. I've got an aircard. The ping times any good with this wireless services?

And also, is there any wifi modems being sold here which can be used as a wireless router as well? I think they call it Mifi? You put a sim into that thing and it emits wifi for all your devices to use.

Android 2.2 phones have that functionality built in.

3G is only available in developed countries: Laos, Cambodia..:whistling:

Thailand must be one of those Developed countries then, cos i get a steady 3G connection, with True, in Bangkok. Not bad speeds either, i havent done any speed tests but im never waiting around for webpages to load or apps to download

• 300mins of calls
  • 300 SMS's
  • 50 MMS's
  • Unlimited Edge
  • Unlimited 3G

I think you'll find this is no longer on offer as far as unlimited 3G goes. Trues web site lists 5GB limits per month for 3G speeds?

My guess is it's in line with the governments attempts to curb 3G usage within private sector trial services towards pending CAT & TOT biased packages?

3G is only available in developed countries: Laos, Cambodia..:whistling:

Thailand must be one of those Developed countries then, cos i get a steady 3G connection, with True, in Bangkok. Not bad speeds either, i havent done any speed tests but im never waiting around for webpages to load or apps to download

and it comes on the 2.1 GHz band?

The True trial 3G service runs on the 850 Mhz band, whereas the TOT-I-Mobile service runs on the more common 2100 Mhz band, where future broader 3G (or whatever it ends up being in Thailand) is supposed to land...

It's not so easy to find a lot of mobile phone models that support both 850 and 2100 Mhz 3G...though there are some....

The True service has been available in BKK, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Pattaya... The TOT/I-Mobile 3G is just available in Bangkok.... Outside Bangkok, with the I-Mobile SIM, you roam to AIS for calls and get no GPRS service period. And I-Mobile wouldn't sign me up for post paid as a farang, so we had to put the account in my Thai wife's name. Other TV members have reported being able to go thru TOT and not having that problem.

With True, outside its 3G service area, you still get their voice networks and GPRS/EDGE when you can't access their 3G.

Last time I bought a mobile, I specifically bought one that had 3G on the 850 and 2100 Mhz bands, because I was already a True mobile customer (and wanted to access their 3G) but I could also see the future of 3G in Thailand was headed toward 2100 Mhz... And then about a year ago, TOT and I-Mobile launched their 3G, which I then added as a second number and SIM, just to see and compare how the two services worked.

These days in BKK, I mostly use the I-Mobile SIM for 299 baht a month postpaid, and get that amount of pre-paid calling time and 299 MB of data....With True, which for now I'm keeping as a backup, I have a postpaid 4-in-1 plan for 129 baht per month, which involves calling time billed by use but includes 15 hours of True wifi, GPRS or 3G per month....

Lately though, when I actually went to access data on True's network, my phone no longer would show a 3G connection in Bangkok, but only EDGE from True... So it's making me wonder if they've done something with their trial.... The government was trying to get True to stop offering the trial 3G service...but they hadn't complied as yet....

Edited by jfchandler

The old iPhone 599 tariff. I think the promotion may have ended on the 30th of September.

Now it appears that they offer a Micro SIM for the Ipad and iPhone 4, so I'm not sure how you can use that in an Aircard. Perhaps there is a template available.

Anyway the new package offers 3 GB of full speed 3G, after which the speed is throttled to 256kbs. You can find it here