Mainboard / C P U / Video Upgrade

Crossy

OK chaps, need to get some more computing power.

Sadly my ageing brain has become totally befuddled by the array of CPUs mainboards etc.

So advice required. I'm looking for the maximum computing performance I can get for about 30k (budget is flexible, could go to 45k or more for the right kit).

Constraints :-

MB must be Micro-ATX (whilst not absolute space is an issue and the box I have fits nicely)

I don't need blistering video performance (not a gamer) but the video must be able to drive at least two monitors.

Intel only!!

Thoughts anyone.

If you are not a gamer you could get adequate performance for less than that. But I suggest including a new case and power supply and even get a better quality power supply.

AsusP7P55D-E LX Motherboard LGA1156 / P55 Express / USB 3.0 / SATA 6Gbs / 4 x DDR3 2200

SKU: #003949

Product number: P7P55D-E-LX

฿4,650.00 Delivery time: 1-3 daysAdd to Shopping Cart from a forum sponser

This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Lynnfield / Clarkdale processors in LGA1156 package, which has memory and PCI Express controller integrated to support 2-channel (4 DIMMs) DDR3 memory and 16 PCI Express 2.0 lanes, enabling higher graphics performance. Intel® Lynnfield / Clarkdale processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.

IntelCore i5-680 Processor / LGA1156 / 4M Cache, 3.60 GHz (BX80616I5680)

SKU: #003267

Product number: BX80616I5680 ฿10,390.00

or more or less depending on you.

Memory from 3000baht to 30000 baht depending on you.

A video card can be anything but I would say 5000baht is much more than adequate if you are not a gamer.

My suggestion would be this board and and equip it as you want now and you can always upgrade to more or better procesors and memory or graphics as you see fit. This should give a system useable for a few years.

Thanks for the starter harry :)

My reason for wanting to stick with my existing box is visibility, if Wifey doesn't see anything change I can get away with an upgrade, unfortunately I'm already in trouble for buying two 24 inch monitors :)

How about the Intel® Desktop Board DP55SB, B7250 from the same sponsor (it's micro-ATX).

Maybe an Intel® Core™ i7-870 Processor, B10,220 same source.

Thanks for the starter harry :)

My reason for wanting to stick with my existing box is visibility, if Wifey doesn't see anything change I can get away with an upgrade, unfortunately I'm already in trouble for buying two 24 inch monitors :)

How about the Intel® Desktop Board DP55SB, B7250 from the same sponsor (it's micro-ATX).

Maybe an Intel® Core™ i7-870 Processor, B10,220 same source.

I suggested that board because it gave you a big upgrade path and a lot of life. eg fast sata USB3 and lots of memory options. If it was me I would probably have to settle with lower processor and memory specs but sneak them in ovedr time. Much less suspicion then. Leads to a quieter life.

Thanks harrry, glad I'm not the only one who sometimes has to sneak things in :) I don't really but I sometimes get disapproving looks which require purchase of something (oddly not usually gold), She Who must be Obeyed knows that my PC is how we earn the occasional crust so it usually get past.

Anyway, it's been asked what I do do as opposed to what I don't do:-

Currently running W7 Ultimate 64 bit and Office 2010 Pro-plus 64 bit (both genuine), I do a lot of document processing with rather more windows open than I really ought to.

Also doing an increasing amount of PCB CAD, really only at hobby level but I'm hoping that my designs are sufficiently innovative that someone will buy into the idea.

Photo processing with Photoshop CS3 (genuine and can't afford an upgrade right now, it does the job just fine).

Also running AutoCAD although it's usually just checking and certifying drawings rather than any original creative work.

Obviously the usual web stuff.

Based off of the stated requirements the general suggestion is to buy multicore CPU's (as many as you can afford), minimum 8 GB of RAM (16 GB is better), I would suggest SATA-3 capable mainboard (not critical, but gives you options) but you need micro ATX and I'm not sure SATA-3 is available on those MB's now. GPU of old generation (get one with die shrink and smaller cooling solution). I'm not sure you use CAD programs enough to warrant a pro grade vga card, and it will go over budget.

Suggested: 2x2+TB HDD's (WD Green?) as storage and quick backup

SSD is optional but does improve overall snappiness of your system, particularly when opening heavy programs after a cold boot.

If you have budget and consider between SSD and more RAM, it depends on what type of photoshop files and CAD files you work with. If you are not saturating your RAM then an SSD will be more beneficial.

A suggested build

1. CPU: i7-870 (~9500 Bht)

2. Mainboard: ASUS P7H55-M LX or GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2 (~2500 Bht)

3. RAM: Kingston DDR3-1333 8 GB (2x4GB) (~8500 Bht)

4. GPU: GF9800GT (~4000 Bht) or HD5770 (~5500 Bht)

Suggestion: 2 TB WD Green (~3500 Bht)

Grand total (incl HDD&HD5770): ~29500 Bht

With an i7 CPU you should also consider a custom CPU Cooler to replace the stock Intel cooler. This may dictate the case size and type.

I'm running the i7-860 (Asus P7P55D) with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. If space is at a premium then the Corsair H50 unit might suit. Intel i-5/7 prices have really come down here in the past 90 days, on par with U.S. prices (excluding frequent promotions and combo deals).

In general I'd choose the CPU first, then that pretty much steers you to the MB and Memory, based on availability and budget. In general I'd recommend not skimping on the case, PSU and cooling.