Flights Going Up

22ste22

APD. Air passenger duty.

Last year flights from UK to thailand had £100 APD. From first Nov ( I think date is correct) its £150

Its rated in zones based on milage from uk to destination.

Its all explaned in detail on tha Ali Baba and the 40 theiving C&%ts website. (Also know as HMRC)

A brillaint ploy to make schripol a transport hub. But its ok folks, Just think of the benefit to the enviroment of all that extra tax:angry:

Not a lot we can do although I expect travel agents in UK to work out the most cost effective route for me so I will wait and see. LHR to BKK is 6000 miles which side of the fence will the tax fall, answers on a wheel bin to your nearest Prime Minister. All this stuff about green tax is junk, just think road tax. It would make a lot more sense to put up the short distance flights and hope to get people onto the trains.

I heard the other day on the news that many holiday goers are now traveling to Paris and Amsterdam

to start there trips there. They spend a day or two in Paris or Amsterdam it the cost of more then covered

bt their savings on the taxes they save by not flying out of UK

The sky-high flight tax: Families face rises of up to 55% in levy on holidays from UK airports

Daily Mail

I read that this policy was enacted by the previous government on the grounds for cleaner airspace. Then tax should also be levied on domestic flights and the aim of having fewer commercial flights over UK airspace can come true...:D

Have sales of bicycles picked up?

hello all, maybe this is a atupid question,, but here goes.... i know the exchange rate is poor...... but could'nt i just transfer monsy to my gf in thailand and get her to buy a ticket in thailand for my rtn journey from the uk? would this work out cheaper? would it avoid the uk tax increase? thanks in advance for any help with this question.

IF the flight is booked as a single flight from the UK where you check in at Birmingham for example and collect your luggage when you arrive in Bangkok the international long haul APD still applies.

From the HMRC website :

If two or more international flights are connected, it is the final destination of the connected flight which determines the duty liability. If two or more international flights are not connected, then the duty liability is determined by the last destination which is not followed by a connected flight.

However if you fly from the UK to Schiphol on an economy ticket than do the longer flight to Bangkok in Business or First class you only pay the standard rate on the full flight, that's the way I read it.

Details here : http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000505&propertyType=document#P282_14934

It's a rip off introduced by the previous government which should be reversed by the new government, however as they are attempting to balance the books I don't believe they will reverse it.

IF the flight is booked as a single flight from the UK where you check in at Birmingham for example and collect your luggage when you arrive in Bangkok the international long haul APD still applies.

From the HMRC website :

If two or more international flights are connected, it is the final destination of the connected flight which determines the duty liability. If two or more international flights are not connected, then the duty liability is determined by the last destination which is not followed by a connected flight.

However if you fly from the UK to Schiphol on an economy ticket than do the longer flight to Bangkok in Business or First class you only pay the standard rate on the full flight, that's the way I read it.

Details here : http://customs.hmrc....ment#P282_14934

It's a rip off introduced by the previous government which should be reversed by the new government, however as they are attempting to balance the books I don't believe they will reverse it.

Say I booked an economy flight from London to Amsterdam with KLM and then a biz class flight with Emirates to Bangkok. Surely I would only pay tax on the economy flight to Amsterdam? :unsure:

every possible variable seems to be covered by the HMRC website. Dont get to enthusiastic about flying from europe though. Last week , an international broadsheet, pink in colour, had a small colum sujesting that both the dutch and europe as a whole were considering imposing APD on departures.