Swimming Pool Not Used/Wanted

evanson

When I built my house, I thought a swimming pool might be a good selling point.

Believe I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times it's been used.

I suggested filling it with plaa deuk/tubtim/plaa chon:lol: But was reminded how much the expensive tiles cost. Also apparently can't simply empty it as hot sun would crack aforesaid expensive tiles.

I built the house as I'm interested in architecture, and the house is indeed very beautiful. But if I'd intended living in it myself, would have planted a garden, preferably filled with large palms/trees.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to what to do with it, bearing in mind the expense of it, together with the fact that, you never know, the market might pick up or I could rent it out.

Getting tad tired at looking at dark green water (I keep it clean with chlorine) - pontoons with floating palms? :D

build a small guest house house over it and use as a basement for the mean time

Hmm. I'd thought of some kind of moveable structure as very interested in 'knock downs', although might need to look up a little (lot) more into converting to basement, particularly here. And might very well work out more expensive than filling it in and converting to garden. Maybe some kind of houseboat? With plants/trees?

I've always liked the fish farm idea (much too big for Koi, and difficult to keep), together with fish shit ruining the tiles.

LOVE the idea of crocodile farm. Although not sure neighbours and dogs would ....

Unfortunately I've got the same problem........a beautiful pool that I built for the kids and found that the novelty soon wore off and realistically there are only 4 or 5 months of good swimming weather.......the rest of the year is money spent on maintenance and electricity. Most time it is either too cold or too tepid and it is now a brown eyesore.

I did try the fish thing a couple of years ago with 10 fish over winter and they survived and even grew........koi and talapia. then restored the pool at the end of winter and the next year decided to upscale and added 60+ talapia and more koi. They did well for a month or 2, then in a week, they all went 'belly up'. Later found out that the fish poop turns into nitrates that absorb oxygen. Tried to introduce floating plants and they didn't work too good either.

I'm still wondering what to do with my 700,000thb hole in the ground and the latest idea is to make a roof over it and use it as a large cool room.

It was my single most expensive mistake in my life to build a pool.

I did look at the link that crossy posted and considered it months ago, but the conversion looks almost as expensive as building a swimming pool and have read further that the pond ecosystem is very delicately balanced and don't want to add more $$ to my original mistake.

Still open to new ideas.........

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have swimming pools and no longer want them for whatever reason need to consider "natural swimming pools". From the research I have done I think they are the perfect answer to keeping your pool and having clean water without the expense of chemicals. I am in the process of building such a pool now. In the past we built our koi pond and for filters we built two gravel-bog filters. I have clean clear water.

you have been watching the bbc too much

For those of you who have swimming pools and no longer want them for whatever reason need to consider "natural swimming pools". From the research I have done I think they are the perfect answer to keeping your pool and having clean water without the expense of chemicals. I am in the process of building such a pool now. In the past we built our koi pond and for filters we built two gravel-bog filters. I have clean clear water.

Sorry my friend, incorrect answer. I speak American Speak and can hardly understand the Spoken English on BBC. I read most of my news from the internet. I tell my friends from down under every day that some day I will teach them English. LOL, they do.

Sorry my friend, incorrect answer. I speak American Speak and can hardly understand the Spoken English on BBC. I read most of my news from the internet. I tell my friends from down under every day that some day I will teach them English. LOL, they do.

Now that's really good American English bahhhhhhhhhhh ( speak American Speak )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately I've got the same problem........a beautiful pool that I built for the kids and found that the novelty soon wore off and realistically there are only 4 or 5 months of good swimming weather.......the rest of the year is money spent on maintenance and electricity. Most time it is either too cold or too tepid and it is now a brown eyesore.

I did try the fish thing a couple of years ago with 10 fish over winter and they survived and even grew........koi and talapia. then restored the pool at the end of winter and the next year decided to upscale and added 60+ talapia and more koi. They did well for a month or 2, then in a week, they all went 'belly up'. Later found out that the fish poop turns into nitrates that absorb oxygen. Tried to introduce floating plants and they didn't work too good either.

I'm still wondering what to do with my 700,000thb hole in the ground and the latest idea is to make a roof over it and use it as a large cool room.

It was my single most expensive mistake in my life to build a pool.

Why did the floating plants idea not work? Not bothered with fish, too 'high maintenance'.

• 1 month later...

Now that's really good American English bahhhhhhhhhhh ( speak American Speak )

Muchos gracias, si habla espanol, puquito.. (American speak)

Edited by WarpSpeed