Wrong Change In My Favour

ukrules

Most shops use a calculator to do the simplest transactions. I don't think mathematics is one of their strong subjects here in Thailand...

About math skills, just last week in doing a bit of a math problem with a 12-year-old boy we came upon the need to add 7 + 7. He resorted to using his fingers and singing under his breath a mnemonic song something like "1 plus 1 = 2, 2 plus 2 = 4," and on until he got to 7 plus 7. He appears to be an average-intelligence kid, so I was stunned! I didn't call him on his rustiness; we just went on with the math problem that needed solving.

Students in most Thai schools are taught to memorize only; thinking is not a part of it. That may be a clue as to why anything to do with money requires a calculator.

Most shops use a calculator to do the simplest transactions. I don't think mathematics is one of their strong subjects here in Thailand...

About math skills, just last week in doing a bit of a math problem with a 12-year-old boy we came upon the need to add 7 + 7. He resorted to using his fingers and singing under his breath a mnemonic song something like "1 plus 1 = 2, 2 plus 2 = 4," and on until he got to 7 plus 7. He appears to be an average-intelligence kid, so I was stunned! I didn't call him on his rustiness; we just went on with the math problem that needed solving.

Students in most Thai schools are taught to memorize only; thinking is not a part of it. That may be a clue as to why anything to do with money requires a calculator.

Rubbish - all my kids were taught arithmetic the way I was at Melbourne Grammar School.

I suspect the 12 y/o didn't go to school at all.

Chances are that OP gave 1.000. If not it's one error to the detriment of the enterprise

in thousands. OP did the right thing.

I gave back money at Tesco's cashier and the local crowed behind me wondered why. I said, that I know what I want and I know how much it is and if I don't want to pay that I would not buy it. People appreciated that by starting to smile in a way you see seldom.

This kind of topic is so common. I see or hear it often here in the States. I guess the different twist in Thailand is the loss of face aspect featured here.

For some people it's merely a question of honesty. And, I see that point of view.

For me, another important part of it is whether or not the clerk or waitress (or whatever) is doing a good job. If they're doing a good job for the company and for me, the customer/client, then if they make a mistake in my favor, I'll make it right. But if they're yacking and socializing instead of paying attention to business, or if service has been poor, or items not as advertised, then it's not my job to do their job.

The best example I can relate, although it was in an American department store, was when I was buying some kitchen ware that had been marked 50% off in a big sale. The girls at the counter were college types, and instead of paying attention to business they were yacking and socializing with each other, while customers in line steamed because of the delays. The clerk said, oh, this is 50% off, and reduced the already reduced price by another 50%. The store's fault for hiring foolish girls who didn't focus on their jobs, the clerk's fault for not focusing on her job. No help from me to fix her error. And while this was in the States, I have seen similar mistakes (although more in terms of correct change) made in department stores in Bangkok where clerks were socializing instead of doing their jobs. When I repeatedly ask clerks not to follow me constantly and stop thrusting things at me I don't want, but they continue...then when I do buy from them and they make a mistake in my favor...I'm not going to do their jobs for them. When I ask them a question about the product and all they do is tell me "10 percent discount" instead of answering my consistent question, and then make a mistake in my favor...then I'm not going to do their jobs for them. When I ask a clerk about the features of a DVD player and he gives me incorrect information, and later make a mistake in my favor...then I'm not going to do their jobs for them. When I ask for a size 10 shoe and they repeatedly bring me a different size and style than I ask for, and then they make a mistake in my favor...then I'm not going to do their job for them. On the other hand, if they've done their jobs reasonably well and then make a mistake in my favor, I'll do their jobs for them and show them their error.

Rubbish - all my kids were taught arithmetic the way I was at Melbourne Grammar School.

I suspect the 12 y/o didn't go to school at all.

So, what does "Rubbish" mean? Are you calling me a liar?

Also, you suspect wrong. The boy in question attends Thepodint School near the Chang Puak bus station in Chiang Mai.

Edited by MrBrad

I am afraid this is a problem in many places in the world.I Just came back ,no more than an hour ago from the store, here in the USA, I Had made a purchase that came to a total of $24.18, I gave the girl $30.00 and the girl input the a mound in the cash register, and the cash register told her to give me back $5.82, I did not want to have .82 cents in my pocket so I told the girl, wait let me give you a quarter (25 cent coin) which meant she will give me back $6.07 . she immediately got a blank look in her face and became nervous, I tried to explain to her the math behind my 25 cent addition but all i got was a blank stare, finally i took back my quarter, took my $5.82 change an came home, mumbling to my self all the way.

I am afraid technology has robed people of their ability to think.

I'll have to agree with your statement. I was born and raised in California. My mother was a teacher. Every vacation, she brought flash cards and made me learn math. I started high school electronics classes in 1969. There weren't any calculators back then. I still have my slide rule and still know how to use it! I remember the hugh slide rulers that were mounted above the chalk boards in my math classes. In Thailand, one of the first things I taught myself was how to count in Thai. So, while they are fiddling with the calculator, I tell them in Thai, how much I owe, how much I gave them and what my change should be... smile.gif

Sometimes the correct thing to do in Thailand is to never openly suggest any Thai has made any mistake.

I would put this as: It's ALWAYS incorrect to grand-stand about a mistake that someone made especially in front of others. However to help a person prevent a mistake that will lead to his/her wages being cut will be thoroughly appreciated 100% of the time when done quietly and respectfully. Or jokingly, but happily thanking the person for the extra. (this will send out a better vibe than raising your eyebrows and voicing concern; the vibe is then negative in that case even though it's an mistake to your advantage).

Plus it's the right thing to do. A lot of Farang angst being blurted about in this topic. (By others, not Jingthing so much who is of course partially right; I would just rephrase a little)

Samran being controversial....

Maybe it is simply that my sh1t doesn't stink ;) - but why do I get the feeling that if I was in the same situation I'd manage to convince the person of their error in a good natured and face saving way?

Maybe people are lacking people skills here?

I was told by a friend that works in a bank that when large sums are involved another couple of people are asked to check as that way the loss if there is any can be spread between the people who checked it. Any mistake in a bank and the cashier pays as my friend explained when an American caught him out with some dud traveller’s cheques.

Once in a hotel I got the final bill which was way below what they had previously indicated. I pointed out there was some mistake and the cashier was very grateful when she double checked and found out that she had undercharged me as she said the same thing. Any mistake and they are responsible. So I would say to anyone that next time it happens just think that it might be some poor devil who struggles as it is to make ends meet that you might be putting into an even more difficult position.

I was given 20 baht too much in my change at our local KFC, I quietly gave the girl the money back. I received a thank you (in English), and have always been greeted with a beaming smile, whenever I eat there since. I can't understand why anyone would take advantage of those poorer than themselves, or with a lesser education. As for those posters who try to justify themselves, by quoting how many times farangs are ripped off, all I can say is it's no wonder farangs have a bad name here. :angry:

The wife ended up with a 1000B she should not have had at Platinum Fashion Mall but didn't discover till she had left, had to go back next day and the place is a warren, took her close on 2 hours until she spotted the girl. Result one very happy person who was totally knocked out by this and never fails to run and get the wife iced coffee and doughnuts whenever she spots her. Karma ? Well I've had wallets returned to me in MBK and Mo Chit, once by someone who saw me drop it and the other time by someone who gazed around and matched my face to the driving licence it held! Recently in MBK again on the cinema floor my wife was approached by two schoolgirls who asked if the ATM card they were holding in their hand belonged to the farang with her (me). Indeed it did, had left it in the machine. Passed them 5 minutes later they were still beaming all over from the 500B (each) reward :)

Beginning to think karma don't cross continents though, lost my wallet again in London this week and it ain't found its way back to me....

Edited by roamer

i opened a thai bank account, i deposited 30,000 thai baht, i seen on the system that the girl had put in 300,000 thb, i opened my big mouth and told her she made a mistake, im still wondering what would of happened if i had drawn it all out ?